Anenome ammonia nitrite spike

coreygrrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a 7 month old 50 gallon frameless with a 15 gallon sump (all i could fit). Protein skimmer, single chamber media reactor down below, and refugium (not doing much since I got the reactor), and tons of bio media. 6 fish in all. Some beginner corals. Sea stars, hermits, and snails.

June 29th, 2021 I got a RBTA. In the middle of the night I got up to get a drink of water only to see the whole tank milky white.

Yup, it got shredded by the powerhead. Lesson learned on getting a nem guard.
Checked parameters and of course ammonia through the roof, nitrite undetectable at that point and nitrate 20 ppm (working on getting it down).
Stayed up the rest of the night making more water to make a 20% water change (only had 5 gallons made at that time). Also changed out carbon and gfo to mostly carbon in my media reactor. And I moved corals to QT.

The next morning I lost my royal gramma. At that point that was the only casualty. I went to LFS got seachem prime and performed another 20% h2o change, and dosed emergency dose of prime.

At this point my ammonia went to 0.5, nitrite spiked up to 2.0. So that told me nitrogen cycle is following through. The next day I did a 10% change, dosed more prime, and added the cheaper nitrofying bacteria I had in my fridge.

Within a few days my ammonia and nitrite were zeroed out and nitrogen remained at 20.

Two weeks later everything still good, corals are happy (after returning them from QT). Fish are happy too. I decide enough time has gone by and no visible signs of RBTA, I needed a new fish to replace the royal gramma (my wife's fish).

We went to the fish store and picked out a lemonpeel angel. BEAUTIFUL FISH! Graceful, happy, eating, the whole nine yards. Very thrilled. Picked up turbo start with my purchase and threw the whole large bottle in while I temperature acclimated. Everything went smooth.

The following day I noticed my sea stars had their legs straight upwards like the exorcist. I check parameters and ammonia is slightly elevated but nitrite is HUGE! I give emergency dose of prime and do 20% water change. By the end of the day the stars replaced and began to move and corals start to open a little. The next day I have work (12 hour shifts). Cone home and both sea stars and dead, snails are dead, pulsing xenia are dead. I emergency dose prime , 15% h2o change, get all corals out except gsp (stuck to large rock).

I left the fish because they seemed normal, no guppy breathing, eating fine and doing their normal thing. I figured they prime must be working if they're unphased.

I wake up this morning and the lemon peel angel is on its side, dead. A few hermits, dead. Nitrite still sky high with slightly elevated ammonia.

I am so bummed. So I get all the dead out and dose a smaller amount of prime (I figure everything is fine since I still have my protein skimmer running for oxygenation) and I've been making more salt h2o all morning. I'm think about doing an 80% change with similar h2o temperature in hopes to wipe everything out. My concern though is that I might just be wiping out the good turbo start I added the other day and that I need to let the nitrogen cycle play out.

So far the other remaining fish are acting just fine and a few hours after dosing the prime a couple of the GSP heads are starting to somewhat poke out.

Any recommendations out there?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank that old does not need to be tested for nitrite. My guess is ammonia or some other toxin from the shredded anemone was the cause.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you need to keep a lot more water on hand ready to go.

There was a lot of information out there but am I reading it correctly that it was almost 3 weeks between the nem getting shredded, in this apparent ammonia spike?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back