Anenome care questions

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering how to care for a bubble tip anenome? I have a Gold spot maroon clown and I'd like to get one for her.
Other than I guess medium to high light.. what flow do they need? Do I need to add any supplements to my water for them?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your system ?
What type of lighting ?
How big is your tank ?
To answer your flow question They will move into there comfortable but make sure to cover any powerhead , filter and overflows as they can get sucked into them
No additives but you need a stable system that’s 6 months or older

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike1995

Mike1995

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your system ?
What type of lighting ?
How big is your tank ?
To answer your flow question They will move into there comfortable but make sure to cover any powerhead , filter and overflows as they can get sucked into them
No additives but you need a stable system that’s 6 months or older

My system is around 5 months old at this point. Maybe slightly more. Would it be wise to wait a bit longer??
It's LED lighting.
75 gallon tank with around 30 gallon sump
I could cover the overflow I suppose but how exactly could I cover my wavemaker/powerhead?
Thanks for the help! :)

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an article that @Crabs Mcjones done with some good info that might answer a couple of questions. There are power head covers on the market and I believe they make them for different manufacturers, you should consider if you plan to keep one (example privided). There are probably other style covers out there, I haven't had the need to look for sometime. I have never personally lost one in power head but it does happen. I have kept nems for years (LTA & RBT's), I'm not saying what I do is the "correct" way but they thrive and multiply in my tanks, almost to much. I might feed them a small piece of shrimp once a month. I have kept them in the older Biocube 29's with the bulbs, a cheap 10 gallon (don't remember the make) with a stock light and a 32 Biocube with stock LEDs and had success with all 3.

download.jpeg

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/anemones-and-why-you-should-wait.448/

Last edited:

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait longer but if you know for sure that’s your parameters are stable then go for it .
Do you know what specific type of leds they are?
Do you have lots of coral in your tank ? Be prepared to move other coral that it might sting while moving around

pdiehm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a BTA at the 6 month mark after the cycle. It's split, I have 2. I also added it before I had any corals, that way I could be reasonably sure it was happy in its spot and then go around it. only once has it moved when I ticked around with the flow pattern, it moved to the other side of the tank. Put the flow back, and it was back where it was originally, and haven't touched the powerhead since.

Everyone said I should wait a year to add one, but the 2 I have, are bulletproof possibly.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back