Angelfish issues

Stussyredhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help with angle fish. I can't seem to keep one alive for more than a week my parameters are all good and the other fish are healthy. In the last year I have gotten 4 different types of angel fish all 4 of the died the same way. I currently have 3 tangs a wrasse and mandrin. The fish always dies with his gills red and they have dark splotches and sometimes what appears to be white flakes on the fins. This happens even when I put them in QT in a closed system. What is wrong I use RO/DI water and Brightwell salt, is there something in my water column? They do thrash about after being in tank after a day or so. I have added other fish in the past year with no problems just no luck with angels.

Thank you
Matt

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What angelfish are you trying? Have you been getting them from the same retailer?

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do thrash about after being in tank after a day or so.
Angels can be finicky to condition, and many of them come in with flukes. An angel with flukes will shake, generally it's head, in an attempt to remove them. This thrashing you mention could also be flashing, where a fish will swoop toward a rock, sand bed, coral, etc. in an attempt to remove parasites. Either way you should be prepared to prophylactically treat angelfish. I generally start with a freshwater dip, which will remove most flukes. Then treat with Prazipro in QT and keep feeding heavily. Cupramine or other treatment(s) following Prazipro if necessary.

OP
OP
Stussyredhat

Stussyredhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two different fish shops The first 2 were emperor and the 3rd was a queen and last was a copperband butterfly.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try proper quarantine with Praziquantel. The liquid form (Prazipro), is much easier to use. I would freshwater dip the new fish before adding to the QT.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back