Angels

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m debating between a flame, lemon peel or coral beauty to put into my 90 gallon reef tank
I know they are supposed to be somewhat reef safe but is there one that’s better then the other as far as doing better with not eating coral, temperament and hardiness?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard flame is least likely to go after coral, not sure if the validity of that tough.
Coral beauty is nicest looking imo, mine is almost ready to go into the dt, so I’ll see if mine’s a coral eater…
I’m pretty sure temperament and hardiness is about the same across the board.
A 90 is enough room to help keep most off of corals.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have a removal plan in place. All I have to say. Good luck
This is wrong imo these fish are known to eat coral and if they do they have to go through the stress of being rehomed? if you don't want a fish to eat corals don't get that fish.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What type of reef corals? Soft corals, clams (fleshy material) are more likely targets than SPS. Lots of mixed reviews on CB and Flames. Really depends on the individual specimen.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had any of my angelfish eat any of my corals: they tend to pick at detritus that's collected on the coral rather than individual polyps themselves. Of course, I really only have noxious softies, LPS, and stylocoeniella, so perhaps that's not saying much.

My filefish, on the other hand...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m debating between a flame, lemon peel or coral beauty to put into my 90 gallon reef tank
I know they are supposed to be somewhat reef safe but is there one that’s better then the other as far as doing better with not eating coral, temperament and hardiness?

lemon peel has a high chance of picking. I would not call these reef safe in a tank with fleshy corals.

The other two are in most cases fine but maybe not. I have a flame now and he’s okay but I don’t keep acans or trachy or such.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had pretty much every species of Angel at one point, and had to remove them all. That being said, I do have a Coral Beauty now that has left everything alone so far. As stated, they are much more likely to eat fleshy LPS than SPS.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for a different, much more reef safe Angel if you’re that concerned about nipping at coral is what I’d personally say (This is someone who currently has it fish > Coral but I’d slowly leaning into the SPS side… This may change). Maybe look into the genus Genicanthus and see if any of them catch your eye.

CBs and Flames are less likely to go for Coral unless it’s fleshy LPS. Lemon peels and similar are less likely to be reef safe though as mentioned.
As for CBs and LPS, I have had 2 or 3 in with different fleshy and not so fleshy LPS. Acans/Micros have always been a no go for me though so I couldn’t really say if they were totally reed safe.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also worth noting that captive-bred lemonpeels and coral beauties are now (at least somewhat) widely available. They're certainly likely to be hardier in aquaria than most wild-caught specimens. SOMEONE has bred flame angels, but I've never seen them for sale.

matthew_coletta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do flame. I think others are definite to eat some of your coral.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do flame. I think others are definite to eat some of your coral.
IME Coral Beauties are more likely to be reef safe than the Flames are, but I don’t think it’s much of a difference on how many are reef safe and how many aren’t.
Id personally stick to a CB though just due to pricing and reliability on being reef safe.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back