OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aint alone brother. They llways look great on the phone then you see em on the laptop and yep..... garbage. I want to delete most of what I post. ;Vomit
Yea I'm embarrassed... here I was all proud of myself and then I go and post those ;Hilarious:mad: I'm looking into getting a Sony A6000 - they're pretty cheap at this point.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm embarrassed... here I was all proud of myself and then I go and post those ;Hilarious:mad: I'm looking into getting a Sony A6000 - they're pretty cheap at this point.
The way I look at it is that probably 90% of the people browsing are using a phone or tablet anyway. Considering Im irish I have plenty else to be embarrassed about! :p ;Pompus

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact about me... I'm an idiot and had my camera in the wrong picture setting mode. Basically I was only getting 7.1MP. Now I have it set correctly to get 12MP....

20200914_171959.jpg
20200914_172325.jpg
20200914_172113.jpg
20200913_210339.jpg
20200913_210314.jpg
20200913_205947.jpg
20200913_210126.jpg
20200913_205517.jpg

U

User1

View Badges

Not knocking your photography skills as every already said our phones look like A and the web page looks like Z :) Having said that there is a video on Tidal Gardens channel with the lass talking about taking photos with fish vs corals and camera settings. I'm not a camera person so no idea how it is. Not pushing a channel because I don't (and there are probably a zillion camera channels out there anyway) but saw it when I was looking at a coral care.

Good updates and hope all is well!

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knocking your photography skills as every already said our phones look like A and the web page looks like Z :) Having said that there is a video on Tidal Gardens channel with the lass talking about taking photos with fish vs corals and camera settings. I'm not a camera person so no idea how it is. Not pushing a channel because I don't (and there are probably a zillion camera channels out there anyway) but saw it when I was looking at a coral care.

Good updates and hope all is well!
Great suggestion! I love Than's channel for sure, one of my favorites. I watched those videos and it's a lot to take in and something I feel like you need to follow along with as you play with the camera settings. I'll have to watch a few more times before my small brain can process the information ;Hilarious

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I do better above? ;Hilarious
We’ll dayyum well done! I wouldn’t mind a camera that can do that but wouldn't spend a ton. If I had any clue about them I’d consider a couple hundred dollar investment but no need for a high end DSLR I’d never pull out of the closet. Does a Best Buy special do that So long as it has 12 or 16 mega pixies?

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll dayyum well done! I wouldn’t mind a camera that can do that but wouldn't spend a ton. If I had any clue about them I’d consider a couple hundred dollar investment but no need for a high end DSLR I’d never pull out of the closet. Does a Best Buy special do that So long as it has 12 or 16 mega pixies?
What phone do you have? These are from my note9.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I fragged my first corals over the weekend. I'm a little disappointed to hear these corals aren't worth as much as I thought. Its sad because what I paid but it seems like there is a trend going on that people just want to pay less in general which is equating to small frags? Not sure if this is something you guys see in your local markets but people here seem much more willing to buy a 1/2-3/4" frag for $35-60, than a decent sized frag for $100-150. Not something I can personally understand because I hate small frags, they take forever to get going... anyways I'm interested to hear thoughts on this!
20200919_173655.jpg
20200919_200810.jpg
20200920_102949.jpg
20200921_193101.jpg

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, Scurvy needs a frag pack! Ship it! ;Woot

Its a tricky market to corner Id say. There's always folks willing to buy but overnight shipping for the average man is cost prohibitive. Locally I think the folks that price frags in that $30-60 window do better than the guys asking $100/150. I think for me Id come planing to scoop up a handful of the cheaper frags and probably wind up leaving with one or two bigger ones too. Having those bread and butter frags to get folks in the door is probably the best play if trying to sell locally. The plain old green/purple aussie hammers/frogs that grow pretty fast etc. What sells and what we want to keep dont always align. GSP, Xenia and Kenya Tree are what the LFS' wil say they move th emost of..

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, Scurvy needs a frag pack! Ship it! ;Woot

Its a tricky market to corner Id say. There's always folks willing to buy but overnight shipping for the average man is cost prohibitive. Locally I think the folks that price frags in that $30-60 window do better than the guys asking $100/150. I think for me Id come planing to scoop up a handful of the cheaper frags and probably wind up leaving with one or two bigger ones too. Having those bread and butter frags to get folks in the door is probably the best play if trying to sell locally. The plain old green/purple aussie hammers/frogs that grow pretty fast etc. What sells and what we want to keep dont always align. GSP, Xenia and Kenya Tree are what the LFS' wil say they move th emost of..
Funny you mention GSP because I saw a guy locally post up hand sized people (full grown hands, not baby hands like mine) for $20 and people were getting on him for trying to sell it for anything at all. Statements like "why charge for a weed" were common. Really stupid IMO to roast the guy for trying to get a cheap price when you walk into an LFS and they're selling you an inch of GSP for $20.

On shipping... I quoted a few vendors and pretty much all of them were $90. So you buy this $100 frag and pay $90 in shipping, that is insane to me! The future goal for me when I have more coral is to sell packs and set up a shipping account which seems to be the way to go in terms of selling as you mentioned. A 5 or 10 pack for 250 or so seems to be the sweet spot.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you mention GSP because I saw a guy locally post up hand sized people (full grown hands, not baby hands like mine) for $20 and people were getting on him for trying to sell it for anything at all. Statements like "why charge for a weed" were common. Really stupid IMO to roast the guy for trying to get a cheap price when you walk into an LFS and they're selling you an inch of GSP for $20.
And if he said free before tossing it in the can he get fried for giving it away or killing it too. I wish folks would just stay out of conversations they aren't adding to but thats a whole other can of worms we'll keep closed for today.

OP
OP
AngryOwl

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if he said free before tossing it in the can he get fried for giving it away or killing it too. I wish folks would just stay out of conversations they aren't adding to but thats a whole other can of worms we'll keep closed for today.
lol exactly! The Facebook groups can become pretty savage and everyone has something to say. In my opinion this hobby has 3 idiots to every 1 decent person ;Hilarious

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back