Angular flasher Wrasse aggression towards sand-sifting goby

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just got a sand-sifting goby to help keep my sand turned over and to add some variety to my lower portion of the tank. I originally had a Midas blenny and Angular Flasher wrasse with a shrimp/goby pair that lives under my scape. They got along fine but once I added the Sand-sifting goby (I can't remember the exact species, Ill try and get a pic tomorrow if needed) the wrasse got pretty upset and started nipping at the goby. It was to my understanding the Angular Wrasses were very peaceful and not super territorial so I didn't think an acclimation chamber was necessary. It was lights out in my tank 20 min after I put the goby in and tried to check on it every so often with a dim light. It has since moved to the opposite side of the tank away from the wrasse but Im worried about what might happen in the morning when lights go on. Will they eventually get along? Or am I going to have to take the goby or wrasse back?

Some extra details, the tank is about 8 months old with the Blenny and wrasse being in there for about 6 months now. Tank is 45 gal.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just got a sand-sifting goby to help keep my sand turned over and to add some variety to my lower portion of the tank. I originally had a Midas blenny and Angular Flasher wrasse with a shrimp/goby pair that lives under my scape. They got along fine but once I added the Sand-sifting goby (I can't remember the exact species, Ill try and get a pic tomorrow if needed) the wrasse got pretty upset and started nipping at the goby. It was to my understanding the Angular Wrasses were very peaceful and not super territorial so I didn't think an acclimation chamber was necessary. It was lights out in my tank 20 min after I put the goby in and tried to check on it every so often with a dim light. It has since moved to the opposite side of the tank away from the wrasse but Im worried about what might happen in the morning when lights go on. Will they eventually get along? Or am I going to have to take the goby or wrasse back?

Some extra details, the tank is about 8 months old with the Blenny and wrasse being in there for about 6 months now. Tank is 45 gal.
Most wrasse species are peaceful, but there is always a chance of getting a super mean wrasse. Just as it is possible to get a peaceful six like or Naoko wrasse, it’s possible to get a mean flasher wrasse.
Time will tell if they get along, but it’s difficult to say without seeing the aggression myself. If it is relentless, rehome a fish. If it is the ocasional dive bomb, it should be fine. Make sure the goby is eating (direct feed with a turkey Baster if you must).

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Put a mirror up against the glass, the flasher will be distracted chasing/flashing his elusive counterpart. His aggression should subside, but there's always those fish that are determined to make their presence known.

OP
OP
Krixic

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I'll try to keep an eye on it. Although im having trouble finding the goby so he's likely hiding in some sort of crevice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back