Annoyed with aquascaping :(

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give you pointers if you choose to go NSA. Please feel free to PM me.
20210702_214253.jpg
20210703_013349.jpg
20210703_013549.jpg

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine in a 50 lagoon and 30 long. Got fed up with the Marco rock and picked up 3 boxes "shapes". Did these In about 20 minutes each. I was never happy with the look of the Marco rocks. Had a hard time placing coral etc...
IMG_20210719_120356137.jpg

Attachments

• 16267109647097918569935469702901.jpg
    16267109647097918569935469702901.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 36

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look better though?
Yes I like it a lot! I have a 20 gallon and due to the length to width ratio I like the multi-island concept as well! You can check out my build thread if you’d like to see my setup using similar sized rocks to yours! All of mine are balanced and have been for about a week. I do, however, suggest gluing if you have snails that bulldoze or bigger hermits! either way, I suggest maybe not flying for a little and looking at the tank for a while. If one part of it is bothering you nonstop the whole week, move it around, but keep what you do like! Eventually, making little tweaks like this will lead to a tank you like much more! The first pic is from before I added 20lbs of rock about a week ago! Sometimes, it’s best to creat a good base that you like with just a couple rocks, then, once you’re convinced you like that, use smaller ones to branch if and create “caves” and such
70FE1E89-75B0-4C12-A9F4-0C0E9049225E.jpeg
2D74F802-5A37-40AD-A5E7-6A190E486220.jpeg

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. I'm certainly no expert though. Go with what you like and what you are planning for the tank. I learned the hard way to design mine for coral placement which I didn't initially. Probably why I went the route I did with the shapes. I wanted the island look so bad but learned it didn't work too well for corals im my case. For islands/colonies I'm using aqua rocks. If you're going fish heavy such as tangs etc. They have plenty of swim room with your layout.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...Change aquascape to 3 island look.Thoughts?
IMG_20210719_123519894.jpg
I like this layout with the different heights. Ensuring rocks cannot tumble is very good advice.
Another thing to consider for your rock-scape is what corals you plan to have and where you plan to place them. Some add very little size and are shaped by the rock, while others will grow out and change the shape of the rock, altering the appearance of the aquascape.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. I'm certainly no expert though. Go with what you like and what you are planning for the tank. I learned the hard way to design mine for coral placement which I didn't initially. Probably why I went the route I did with the shapes. I wanted the island look so bad but learned it didn't work too well for corals im my case. For islands/colonies I'm using aqua rocks. If you're going fish heavy such as tangs etc. They have plenty of swim room with your layout.
Yes I plan to have a tang and soft corals, maybe some lps. But as far as sps I'd need to wait until I get a better light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this layout with the different heights. Ensuring rocks cannot tumble is very good advice.
Another thing to consider for your rock-scape is what corals you plan to have and where you plan to place them. Some add very little size and are shaped by the rock, while others will grow out and change the shape of the rock, altering the appearance of the aquascape.
I like doing things in the present, and figuring the other stuff out when the time comes. Although maybe not super smart. It makes me enjoy the hobby more. Might do a little planning but not a full on exact template. Good advice though.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I like it a lot! I have a 20 gallon and due to the length to width ratio I like the multi-island concept as well! You can check out my build thread if you’d like to see my setup using similar sized rocks to yours! All of mine are balanced and have been for about a week. I do, however, suggest gluing if you have snails that bulldoze or bigger hermits! either way, I suggest maybe not flying for a little and looking at the tank for a while. If one part of it is bothering you nonstop the whole week, move it around, but keep what you do like! Eventually, making little tweaks like this will lead to a tank you like much more! The first pic is from before I added 20lbs of rock about a week ago! Sometimes, it’s best to creat a good base that you like with just a couple rocks, then, once you’re convinced you like that, use smaller ones to branch if and create “caves” and such
70FE1E89-75B0-4C12-A9F4-0C0E9049225E.jpeg
2D74F802-5A37-40AD-A5E7-6A190E486220.jpeg
Good job on your aquascape. I can Invision it will look amazing when those corals grow bigger!

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I liked the 1st one the best also. But I can never get my tank to "look good" to me either, other people say its fine, but I think its just something about it being yours that you never think its good enough.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I liked the 1st one the best also. But I can never get my tank to "look good" to me either, other people say its fine, but I think its just something about it being yours that you never think its good enough.
Thanks for your honesty. I liked the 1st one at first however the island to the right bothered me. The lights didn't hit the front of the rock too well, and it looked way better looking down the side of the tank. For once I am actually saying to myself yeah that looks good. I am happy with my new aquascape, might need a tweak or 2 but I feel as though it's way better than the previous ones. Everyone has different likings to different aquascapes just like guys and girls like different types of guys and girls. But overall there are men/woman that %80 of people think look good. Just like aquascapes I believe. I find more value in pleasing others than myself. Everyone is different. But thanks for your response.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also true to the "But I can never get my tank to "look good" to me either, other people say its fine, but I think its just something about it being yours that you never think its good enough."

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're getting it. Lots of coral room, and swim room. I designed mine for the corals I want and where I want them. 2 red rocks are gone. Will have some "island" rocks of zoas, palys and rhodactis. But in my mind, I know where i want to put the corals I want.

20210703_224113.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back