Annoyed with aquascaping :(

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the 3rd time re aquascaping inside my tank. I can never get it to look good to me. I feel like giving up on my little friends :( This is so frustrating. I'm not going to give up as I know the effort is worth it. But what do you think? It's cloudy from trying to re aquascape for 3hrs. Btw I reaquascaped 3x within the month. I feel sorry for the fish. But I want to be happy with it too.

THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME:
IMG_20210710_121604980.jpg

THIS WAS THE SECOND TIME:
IMG_20210717_121616259.jpg

AND THIS IS WHAT I HAVE NOW:
IMG_20210717_200810469.jpg

now don't get me wrong, looking at it I actually don't think I did a bad job. But what do you guys think? Yes those are fake corals. One more thing I have about 55 ish pounds of rock left over and took out some of the rocks I've had in there for a month. Don't know how much of an issue this will cause atm but I guess I'll see. Yes I bought an extra 75lbs of rock and only used about 15 lbs of it. *Facepalm*

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the 3rd time re aquascaping inside my tank. I can never get it to look good to me. I feel like giving up on my little friends :( This is so frustrating. I'm not going to give up as I know the effort is worth it. But what do you think? It's cloudy from trying to re aquascape for 3hrs. Btw I reaquascaped 3x within the month. I feel sorry for the fish. But I want to be happy with it too.

THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME:
IMG_20210710_121604980.jpg

THIS WAS THE SECOND TIME:
IMG_20210717_121616259.jpg

AND THIS IS WHAT I HAVE NOW:
IMG_20210717_200810469.jpg

now don't get me wrong, looking at it I actually don't think I did a bad job. But what do you guys think? Yes those are fake corals. One more thing I have about 55 ish pounds of rock left over and took out some of the rocks I've had in there for a month. Don't know how much of an issue this will cause atm but I guess I'll see. Yes I bought an extra 75lbs of rock and only used about 15 lbs of it. *Facepalm*
Take the time to bust up and glue the smaller pieces to make branches and other effects. Will make it less uniform.

miran2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not try your hand at NSA negative aquascaping. Start with a small island and see if you like it. Although it is much easier to do with dry rock. Could also try some structures built with the Stax rock. The BRS shelf rock is nice too.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personnally like the first one! I like islands and i like using little rock. I wouldnt over stress your aquascape. Visualize you end goal and scape around that. Your tank will look different once its stocked with corals! You wont see those rocks.

If keeping corals is your intent, that is!

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not try your hand at NSA negative aquascaping. Start with a small island and see if you like it. Although it is much easier to do with dry rock. Could also try some structures built with the Stax rock. The BRS shelf rock is nice too.
Possibly but I've spent over $400 on rock already! Really don't want to risk smashing them. And then be screwed.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone said I needed more hiding places...ugh
LOL, do a version like #1 with a few more hiding places and crevices. :) In the short I have had my tank up the fish/shrimp seem to find/make hidey holes in places I didn't think we're even close to being good hiding spots. :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You may need to add additional rock to form archs or caves. Take some time to go on the link on this site " Members Tanks", in which you will see many configurations and get many ideas.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think you guys maybe could give ideas on where to add more rock to what I already have, or remove some, but not so much to redo the whole thing. Like screenshot the last photo and draw a silouhette for a shape that might be good for different corals kinda like this.
IMG_20210717_200810469~2.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of your scapes are pretty much the same height, all the way across the tank. I would vary the heights which will make it much more interesting to look at. The fist scape wasn't bad IMO....I would just build up the island on the right a little taller (and bigger).

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehhhh, all the images look the same to me. Like others have suggested, you should break up those chunky looking rocks to make shelves, arch ways and what not. Also, not a big fan of those darker colored rocks at the top levels.. I know why you placed them there, prolly to distract your eyes from the bulkiness of the marco style rock - basically looks to me like you want to simulate having corals at the top levels by using the rock you have, but keep in mind you will eventually want actual corals in those locations.

Your tank is long.. and I always liked the look of a three island setup in longer tanks.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehhhh, all the images look the same to me. Like others have suggested, you should break up those chunky looking rocks to make shelves, arch ways and what not. Also, not a big fan of those darker colored rocks at the top levels.. I know why you placed them there, prolly to distract your eyes from the bulkiness of the marco style rock - basically looks to me like you want to simulate having corals at the top levels by using the rock you have, but keep in mind you will eventually want actual corals in those locations.

Your tank is long.. and I always liked the look of a three island setup in longer tanks.
Hmm...Yeah. I find it difficult because with the islands and the rock sizes I have, it would be almost touching the glass. Something I may try though. Someone else suggested the 3 island method aswell.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of your scapes are pretty much the same height, all the way across the tank. I would vary the heights which will make it much more interesting to look at. The fist scape wasn't bad IMO....I would just build up the island on the right a little taller (and bigger).

I pretty much agree with this spot on. Of course also remember if this will be a reef tank, the coral will totally change it especially big leathers or stony coral, so the base aquascape really isn't all that critical for reef tanks. IMO better to go less and let the coral fill it in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back