Another Algae ID Thread

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another person in need of an Algae ID. I have reviewed things online, and I'm just not skilled in the art of ID apparently. I do have a microscope, but I'm not sure what areas need to be photographed that would help. So, here are some in-tank, on a white paper plate and then under a microscope. My tangs don't touch this stuff, and it doesn't look like GHA I've seen before, and it is impossible to entirely remove by pulling at it when it is on a rock. I suppose some kind of "turf algae", but I know that isn't exactly specific. As with everyone else, I'm looking to get an ID and a path to eradicate it beyond what I already know I need to do in reducing phosphate/nitrates probably. Ideally something that would eat it of course. I have been trying Vibrant for a few months on the once a week dose, and for the last few weeks I have increased to twice a week and haven't seen any positive change (it has grown more).

20210314_145905.jpg
20210314_145910.jpg

20210314_145720.jpg
20210314_145744.jpg

20210314_150635.jpg
20210314_150715.jpg

20210314_150904.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks too coarse for gha.
Vibrant should work, takes 4 to 6 weeks.

OP
OP
JoshF7

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks too coarse for gha.
Vibrant should work, takes 4 to 6 weeks.
I thought Vibrant would work too, but I started once a week dosing several months back, so it has been more than 12 weeks at least there, and twice a week now for about 4 weeks with no improvement. I plan on continuing dosing for a while longer, as it doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I'm not holding out hope for Vibrant to be the solution.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought Vibrant would work too, but I started once a week dosing several months back, so it has been more than 12 weeks at least there, and twice a week now for about 4 weeks with no improvement. I plan on continuing dosing for a while longer, as it doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I'm not holding out hope for Vibrant to be the solution.
Vibrant is live, algae eating bacteria. Any chance the bottle was old?

OP
OP
JoshF7

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is live, algae eating bacteria. Any chance the bottle was old?
Anything is possible I suppose. I don't see any dates or anything on the bottle, and they don't ship them refrigerated or anything. I just ordered another bottle, and will switch and see if it makes any difference for me. Still, I would like an ID so I can research further on what else might eat it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree. Vibrant wont attack every and in fact most algaes. Especially this one being Cladophoropsis, which is a Green Wiry Algae. Species in this genus, and related ones, cling to the rock, and spread from a runner. The branches do not get tall, and they are often found with frags or on live rock. this can be difficult to remove. Macros that have fragile runners and creep along the rock are the hardest to manually remove. Do the best you can. Get a dental pick and get it all the first time and be done with it.
It seems to be particularly good at adapting to nutrient lulls, and it is unlikely that a small amount of the algae here and there will be starved out of your tank. 10-14 day blackout with peroxide added at night will weaken it making removal easier but still requires manual cleaning. Fortunately these algae species tend to grow slowly, and aren't particularly common.
This is distinguished from Green Turf Algae as it is a green algae that creeps along the rockwork, rather than grow up from it.
Rock Boring Urchins, Emerald Crabs, Turbo snails occasionally pick on it, but don't seem particularly interested in it long term.

OP
OP
JoshF7

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree .... being Cladophoropsis, which is a Green Wiry Algae.
Under the microscope I'm not seeing what some have said should be if it is Cladophoropsis: "If the sample has a cenocytic structure (without real cell divisions), it could be Derbesia or Bryopsis . If the sample has true cell divisions, as if the filament were a "cell train", it could be Cladophora, Cladophoropsis, or another GHA species." Perhaps I'm not sampling it right and will try again, as everything else you say seems to match what I'm seeing.
Rock Boring Urchins, Emerald Crabs, Turbo snails occasionally pick on it, but don't seem particularly interested in it long term.
I have urchins, an emerald crab and turbo snails in the tank already, and you are correct that they don't touch it. It sounds like you are saying Fluconazole will likely not work either. Although it isn't super fast growing, it is constant and for me hard to control. It is getting everywhere.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Under the microscope I'm not seeing what some have said should be if it is Cladophoropsis: "If the sample has a cenocytic structure (without real cell divisions), it could be Derbesia or Bryopsis . If the sample has true cell divisions, as if the filament were a "cell train", it could be Cladophora, Cladophoropsis, or another GHA species." Perhaps I'm not sampling it right and will try again, as everything else you say seems to match what I'm seeing.

I have urchins, an emerald crab and turbo snails in the tank already, and you are correct that they don't touch it. It sounds like you are saying Fluconazole will likely not work either. Although it isn't super fast growing, it is constant and for me hard to control. It is getting everywhere.
I thought bryopsis but too thick unless accelerated. If this were the case, Flux Would work and worth a try. Try to remove as much as you can by hand. It will speed up the removal process.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@vetteguy53081 Do you know if Flux will work on this type? Have the exact same algae as OP and its taking over everything so far.
Its worth a try. As just mentioned, remove as much as you can by hand to minimize the time for eradication.

OP
OP
JoshF7

JoshF7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update for anyone interested. I'm at the start of using Fluconazole (Reef Flux), and it does seem to be working for me. Algae is fading and even falling off the rocks in the higher flow areas. It seems to be working for me and this strain.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back