Another attempt at fixing Apex EB832

blackadonai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up _AV. Had to jump on youtube and subscribe to your channel. I found this thread looking for tips on replacing the stock power cable on my EB832 because the 6' cable is about 6" too short for my needs. Still haven't found anything on replacing it but it's nice to know that if/when I run into these other issues I'll have an easy to follow repair guide

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for subscribing to the channel.
I don't have a good close up on the power cable, but I do have a video working in that area, check it out:

You'd want to make sure that the new cable's gauge at least as thick as the original. Also, It's important to have the rubber grummet match the original as it prevents the cable from being pulled from the board and keeps water/salt from getting inside the unit.
Otherwise, the green wire in video is ground, and the white neutral wire, both go directly to the main board. The black hot wire goes to the circuit breaker.

blackadonai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you very much. Also I've been doing industrial electrical work for the past 20 years so I'm fairly well versed in working with electricity. I just prefer to know what I'll need before I open up something I've never worked on before. I find it helps to make sure I have everything I might need already at hand when I start working

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those who don't have the time or the skill to repair the EB832, I would encourage you to send your unit to @_AV for repair. I just never had time to repair mine, so I decided to send mine to him and he repaired it super fast. Amazing communication and customer service! I can't recommend him enough, AAA service! If the replacement unit that I had to purchase to replace the failed unit ever goes down, I will not hesitate to just ship it directly to him for repair. I really wish Neptune would get off their butt and make a quality power bar again.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who don't have the time or the skill to repair the EB832, I would encourage you to send your unit to @_AV for repair. I just never had time to repair mine, so I decided to send mine to him and he repaired it super fast. Amazing communication and customer service! I can't recommend him enough, AAA service! If the replacement unit that I had to purchase to replace the failed unit ever goes down, I will not hesitate to just ship it directly to him for repair. I really wish Neptune would get off their butt and make a quality power bar again.
Thank you for your feedback. Greatly appreciated.

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the capacitors online and was able to fix it. Unfortunately I lost the screws holding the housing together. Anyone know what length and thread the 3 screws on the back are?

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the capacitors online and was able to fix it. Unfortunately I lost the screws holding the housing together. Anyone know what length and thread the 3 screws on the back are?
They are approximately 1.5" in length. Not sure about the thread, I haven't lost one yet. Just take the plastic cover to a good hardware store and try some screws out. You are looking for those that typically go into plastic, they have a different thread type.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_8389.JPG

IMG_8390.JPG

IMG_8391.JPG

Teyhas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temp are you all desoldering the original power supply at? Been working at it for over an hour and I'll be danged if I can get the thing to budge.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly high temperature. My iron is at something like 700F. Be careful at that temperature, too long of an exposure and you'll start damaging the PCB. Don't forget to mix in some leaded solder to lower the melting temperature.
I have a couple of repair videos on this:

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the writeup - Mine had the same symptoms and I was able to diagnose a bad 120-12V power supply. Ordered a new one online and my EB832 is working like new again! (I found these - $12 for 3 including shipping)

How did you remove the ribbon cable that goes to the indicator lights on the front panel? I didn't want to pry too hard so I just left it connected. It worked but made things a bit more difficult.

Another tip - there's an LED on the 12V side of the power supply that should light up when it's powered and working. If that LED isn't on it's a good clue the power supply is blown.

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you remove the ribbon cable that goes to the indicator lights on the front panel? I didn't want to pry too hard so I just left it connected. It worked but made things a bit more difficult.
I use small tweezers to carefully pull the black tab forward. Once pulled out, it releases the ribbon cable.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use small tweezers to carefully pull the black tab forward. Once pulled out, it releases the ribbon cable.
Got it - I figured it was something like that but I didn't want to force anything - those ribbon cables aren't terribly sturdy. Hopefully I don't need to open up my EB832 for a while!

OP
OP
_AV

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it - I figured it was something like that but I didn't want to force anything - those ribbon cables aren't terribly sturdy. Hopefully I don't need to open up my EB832 for a while!
If you've replaced the entire 12v PSU, you will be back there eventually :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back