Another Baby Clownfish Thread

freshnano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, it’s been a while since my last update but the first batch of babies are really putting on some size now!
Here is a screen grab from a video I took last night, they are 60 days old today. Now eating a mix of TDO extra small, frozen copepods, fish eggs and lobster eggs:
7AE79B24-0E5A-4999-8881-A44FD5D6D113.png

The second batch are all through meta and are now 29 days post hatch.
Another lovely mix of markings but a higher incidence of full bars this time!
3C19254C-1B5C-41E5-B550-9367E4A6F93C.jpeg
D8DC0F27-85F5-4EDB-8EE3-5DC27942F46F.png
So incredibly cool! Thanks for all the posts and information - love the book recommendation- any others you would suggest?
Also - you mentioned having a 10g tank - what wave maker or power head are you using in that tank?
Wish you were in US because I would love to buy some of your baby clowns for my tank!
Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So incredibly cool! Thanks for all the posts and information - love the book recommendation- any others you would suggest?
Also - you mentioned having a 10g tank - what wave maker or power head are you using in that tank?
Wish you were in US because I would love to buy some of your baby clowns for my tank!
Thanks for sharing!
There aren’t many books on breeding clowns unfortunately. The best one is the Joyce Wilkerson one. With fry tanks and grow out tanks you don’t usually run any wavemakers as the babies are too small and will most likely be pulled in and get shredded.
I just use a sponge filter until they are a few months old, then upgrade them to a HOB filter while they grow out. :)

Bill Howard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read, thank you for sharing!
I’m starting my own journey as well. I have a pair of Gladiators that have just started spawning and I have collected my first clutch. It was very small maybe 20 or so, and only 12 made it past day 1 but all 12 are still kicking. We are now on day 6 and they seem to be eating well. May I ask who makes your sponge filter and how long did you wait to put it in? Im doing water changes every day and looking for a better way to control ammonia.

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read, thank you for sharing!
I’m starting my own journey as well. I have a pair of Gladiators that have just started spawning and I have collected my first clutch. It was very small maybe 20 or so, and only 12 made it past day 1 but all 12 are still kicking. We are now on day 6 and they seem to be eating well. May I ask who makes your sponge filter and how long did you wait to put it in? Im doing water changes every day and looking for a better way to control ammonia.
Hi, and congratulations!

I got my bog standard sponge filter off of Amazon and I believe it’s a Boyu sponge filter. The other bigger filter is made by Robert King the clownfish guy :)

I would wait until the babies are 7-14 days old before adding. The sponge should really be matured in the parent tank before adding so that it builds up some nitrifying bacteria on it.

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at them now! Picture taken at 71 days post hatch. It’s taken a while, but the black is starting to come through on their tails now. Most of them have homes to go to, and I expect that will happen in the next 6-8 weeks. In the meantime they will continue to eat me out of house and home :D
1794CC8B-5E48-419B-844D-FD5ED5F6CACC.jpeg

0D6F4A77-4421-4E5C-956B-1D29C23E70E1.jpeg

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thread.

My clowns have just laid their second batch of eggs, the first batch only saw 4 eggs make it to hatching. I'm not sure they are good parents or maybe they were older eggs in the female? Not sure.

But hopefully they get better at looking after the eggs and I can give raising them a go.

You're thread has given me a bit of confidence.

dangernartz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, and congratulations!

I got my bog standard sponge filter off of Amazon and I believe it’s a Boyu sponge filter. The other bigger filter is made by Robert King the clownfish guy :)

I would wait until the babies are 7-14 days old before adding. The sponge should really be matured in the parent tank before adding so that it builds up some nitrifying bacteria on it.
Can you post a picture of the Robert king filter ?

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing thread.

My clowns have just laid their second batch of eggs, the first batch only saw 4 eggs make it to hatching. I'm not sure they are good parents or maybe they were older eggs in the female? Not sure.

But hopefully they get better at looking after the eggs and I can give raising them a go.

You're thread has given me a bit of confidence.
I’m glad the thread has been useful. Are your clowns fairly young? Sounds like they need to get a good few months of laying under their belts first. My Spotcinctus Pair are the same, not going to even attempt to raise any of their young until at least mid-late summer. Keep up a good varied diet and increase feeding frequency to help them produce better quality eggs and more of them!

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad the thread has been useful. Are your clowns fairly young? Sounds like they need to get a good few months of laying under their belts first. My Spotcinctus Pair are the same, not going to even attempt to raise any of their young until at least mid-late summer. Keep up a good varied diet and increase feeding frequency to help them produce better quality eggs and more of them!
I'm not sure how old they are to be honest as I got them from a local tank breakdown, they have grown a bit since I got them but I feed heavily and the tank they came from didn't look great. I've had them for at least 2 years.

I'm definitely going to be taking my time on them, they seem to be doing a far better job of caring for current batch of eggs. We're on day 5 since they laid them and there's at least 30-40 left. At this stage on the first batch there was maybe a dozen at most.

I'm going to gather supplies and do more research. If they keep laying I might give raising them a go on batch #5. There's nothing to lose but time.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at them now! Picture taken at 71 days post hatch. It’s taken a while, but the black is starting to come through on their tails now. Most of them have homes to go to, and I expect that will happen in the next 6-8 weeks. In the meantime they will continue to eat me out of house and home :D
1794CC8B-5E48-419B-844D-FD5ED5F6CACC.jpeg

0D6F4A77-4421-4E5C-956B-1D29C23E70E1.jpeg
Nice looking picture!! There are so many in there too!!

OP
OP
UltraKelius

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first batch of babies are so big now, most of them at least an inch in size.
I'm struggling hard with keeping the grow out tank algae free, and I'm slowly accepting that this is a battle I'm doomed to loose due to the amount these guys need to eat!
I'm currently changing water in the two grow out tanks every other day and I'm quite looking forward to a bit of a quiet period once the first batch are ready to go into the big world and find their new homes!
0F46BD5D-0307-4CB9-9AB7-A20DF19E5733.jpg

Meanwhile, I have got my Spotcinctus spawning regularly now, and they are producing larger clutches each time they lay. May be time to raise a few of their babies early summer when I have the space :face-with-spiral-eyes:

tempImagebjV0zm.jpg

tempImagekH9DMg.jpg

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first batch of babies are so big now, most of them at least an inch in size.
I'm struggling hard with keeping the grow out tank algae free, and I'm slowly accepting that this is a battle I'm doomed to loose due to the amount these guys need to eat!
It might be worth look at api algaefix. It's a chemical treatment for algae, it's the same stuff as Vibrant but at a fraction of the price.

Its no good for snails or molluscs, but fish are fine.

Back