Another dumb pH question.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20201023-123332_APEX Fusion.jpg
I think I answered the questions about water flow earlier. The probe is in the same chamber as the skimmer but it's not filling with bubbles. I checked. If you look at the chart you can see the steps I referred to but they aren't as obvious as they are when zoomed into a 24 hour period.
I did some experiments a few years back with carbon dioxide and algae scrubbers (before they were mainstream) and CO2 definitely can sit on the water in your sump, and linger in an enclosed sump cabinet. Try removing the old skimmer air and don’t reintroduce it into your skimmer.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights come on at 8am. My tank is in the basement and there is nobody down there until I start working at 7:30. My basement is controlled by hydronic heating so I'm inclined to believe it's not HVAC related. One possibility, other than fish respiration, is that's typical shower time and we have a gas water heater. The utility room is in the basement.
Might be a reach, but the make up air for the gas combustion is drawing co2 laden air from the bedrooms, rest of the house.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a reach, but the make up air for the gas combustion is drawing co2 laden air from the bedrooms, rest of the house.
That seems to be the consensus. Opening a window isn't an option right now. Winter started early this year. The sudden pH dip early in the morning was what I was trying to figure out.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems to be the consensus. Opening a window isn't an option right now. Winter started early this year. The sudden pH dip early in the morning was what I was trying to figure out.
The dip in the morning is what my comment refers to. When the showers start at 6 and the gas water heater turns on it draws combustion air from the room, which gets replaced with air thru cracks in the basement and air from upstairs which has co2 from bedrooms. The ph reduction at 6 is from air upstairs getting to the basement, maybe.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the week-long graph, your daily pH fluctuations are not consistent. The specific, one-day dip at 6am isn't an aberration.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t yet see a likely explanation for it. It is interesting, if just a minor curiosity.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t yet see a likely explanation for it. It is interesting, if just a minor curiosity.
Neither do I. I was hoping an understanding of what happens here might put me on the path to a stabilized and stable pH. Thanks to all who responded with some thoughtful suggestions.

You gotta love this forum.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back