Another dumb pH question.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any macro algae in refugium, then my theory falls apart. There must be something else in your house affecting the CO2 levels in your basement and subsequently, your tank's pH.

Back to the gas water heater in your basement, shouldn't something burning consume oxygen? Could that be affecting the CO2 levels in your basement?

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without any macro algae in refugium, then my theory falls apart. There must be something else in your house affecting the CO2 levels in your basement and subsequently, your tank's pH.

Back to the gas water heater in your basement, shouldn't something burning consume oxygen? Could that be affecting the CO2 levels in your basement?
I think Randy was implying any effect from the water heater probably means something isn't working right. It should flush all exhaust gases outside. If it were not working right I'd have CO in the house as well. That's not an issue so the water heater is probably not the source of CO2.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in my living room, I’m single and off work today, so I slept in. This is what my tank looks like. I do not dose anything. Right now I crack a few windows.
E0937652-A74E-44EE-8776-7F4644ECF1BC.png

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in my living room, I’m single and off work today, so I slept in. This is what my tank looks like. I do not dose anything. Right now I crack a few windows.
E0937652-A74E-44EE-8776-7F4644ECF1BC.png
You know, that's similar to what I'm seeing, though I wish my pH was as high as yours. That drop off that occurs after the initial decline looks like mine. Might it be a result of some biological process?

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have your power heads on night mode? Could account for some of the variation.
I have the return pump programmed to ramp down at night and my WAV heads are pushing half the volume at night as well. I still have really good movement at the surface, though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No. Gas water heaters eaters must legally be vented outside. If it is exhausting Co2 back into the room, that is a safety hazard for carbon monoxide.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the return pump programmed to ramp down at night and my WAV heads are pushing half the volume at night as well. I still have really good movement at the surface, though.

the reduction though will have an affect on your ph I would have thought, do any power head changes happen when you see the drop?

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, that's similar to what I'm seeing, though I wish my pH was as high as yours. That drop off that occurs after the initial decline looks like mine. Might it be a result of some biological process?

I am new to reef tanks but as I recall for some reason at night when the lights go off, PH goes up. My tank has been nitrate low so I can't keep macro-algae alive. I am still pondering running a fuge light to see if I can shorten the swings a bit more. I don't really want to dose. I am also looking to run a line outdoors but what is the return on that investment (15-20 line)?

Here is some R2R reading material for you

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reef tanks but as I recall for some reason at night when the lights go off, PH goes up. My tank has been nitrate low so I can't keep macro-algae alive. I am still pondering running a fuge light to see if I can shorten the swings a bit more. I don't really want to dose. I am also looking to run a line outdoors but what is the return on that investment (15-20 line)?

Here is some R2R reading material for you

I've read so much of Randy's material that I am now, actually, Randy Holmes-Farley himself. Without the big brain, of course.

FYI, pH goes down at night when the lights go out. The lights help algae consume some of the excess CO2, keeping it from driving pH downward.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read so much of Randy's material that I am now, actually, Randy Holmes-Farley himself. Without the big brain, of course.

FYI, pH goes down at night when the lights go out. The lights help algae consume some of the excess CO2, keeping it from driving pH downward.

Ah yes It does I misspoke.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I’m new to the site but quite experienced in pH stuff. Firstly, when did you last calibrate your pH probe? Secondly, have you ensured that the wires to the probe are not tangled, twisted or crossing over power cords etc. Thirdly, does your pH meter have a controller setting, ie does it turn anything on or off? Fourthly, have you cleaned the glass bulb (algae on the glass can cause havoc with the readings).

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, relativey consistent patterns. I am aware of the natural daily fluctuations but my original question had to do with the rapid drop I see every morning before sunrise. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. My ultimate goal is to get the pH at 8.2 and reduce the variation.
FWIW its not clear at all that stabilizing your pH would be beneficial. Natural coral reefs all over the world undergo the same cycle of low pH at night, higher during the day, just like in our tanks. The pH cycle is a natural feature of water with photosynthetic and metabolizing creatures in it.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I’m new to the site but quite experienced in pH stuff. Firstly, when did you last calibrate your pH probe? Secondly, have you ensured that the wires to the probe are not tangled, twisted or crossing over power cords etc. Thirdly, does your pH meter have a controller setting, ie does it turn anything on or off? Fourthly, have you cleaned the glass bulb (algae on the glass can cause havoc with the readings).
My Apex pH probe was calibrated 5 weeks ago. I test pH with a test kit weekly. My controller is not triggering any actions based on pH results. My cables are bundled probably more than they should be but my cable management keeps the twist to a minimum. The probe is clean.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to reef tanks but as I recall for some reason at night when the lights go off, PH goes up.

pH drops at night due to production of CO2 by organisms in the tank, and by the cessation of photosynthesis, which consumes CO2.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Apex pH probe was calibrated 5 weeks ago. I test pH with a test kit weekly. My controller is not triggering any actions based on pH results. My cables are bundled probably more than they should be but my cable management keeps the twist to a minimum. The probe is clean.
Ok, so is your probe before or after the skimmer? If it’s before, then temporarily try it after the skimmer. If it’s directly after the skimmer I would check to see there are no air bubbles trapped on the bulb. If you blow a bit of air across your sump, or leave the doors open, does the pH increase? Are you dosing Alk as bicarbonate or soda ash? That should keep you busy for a while Although, as someone mentioned previously, this type of swing can be noted as normal.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we see your pH graph for the whole week? Do you run a skimmer 24/7? What are the times that your powerheads change their intensity or pattern?

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could we see your pH graph for the whole week? Do you run a skimmer 24/7? What are the times that your powerheads change their intensity or pattern?
Screenshot_20201023-123332_APEX Fusion.jpg
I think I answered the questions about water flow earlier. The probe is in the same chamber as the skimmer but it's not filling with bubbles. I checked. If you look at the chart you can see the steps I referred to but they aren't as obvious as they are when zoomed into a 24 hour period.

Back