Another ICP testing Poll

The following is true about my experience with ICP testing

• I have sent at least 1 ICP test and they are always normal

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • I have sent at least 1 ICP test due to a problem in my tank and tests were normal

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have sent at least 1 ICP test because of a problem tests testing didnt help

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have sent at least 1 ICP test because of a problem and found the reason based on ICP

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I have sent more than 1 ICP tests and the results were inconsistent.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have sent more than 1 ICP test to different companies and the results were inconsistent

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I have sent multiple ICP tests and the results are consistent between all of them

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • I have never sent an ICP test

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • I dont know what an ICP test is

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the time I sent in my first ICP test my tank was doing very well. That was a couple months ago. I tested my water at the same time for 6-8 items that I have test kits for(I don’t remember for sure how many without checking my spread sheet.) The results pretty much confirmed what my limited testing had told me. But it told me a lot more. I will do a second one next month I think to see if I have corrected some issues.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just mailed in my first test ever this week. I will be very curious to see the results as I was wanting to begin adding trace minerals to support my coral health and growth that perhaps my salt mix is not providing.

328 reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to just sent in my first test, still waiting on results. Switching over to Componets 1+2+3 , waiting on test results and to re-test system 24 hours later to see what my tank has consumed.

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I to just sent in my first test, still waiting on results. Switching over to Componets 1+2+3 , waiting on test results and to re-test system 24 hours later to see what my tank has consumed.
Let us know how it works out

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had ICP OES performed by ATI and three with Triton. Results were pretty similar for all of them. I run them periodically just to see what is going on in the tank (if anything). I dont think they're worth much for troubleshooting because of the turn around time (a few very large water changes are likely much more valuable).

U

User1

View Badges
I've used ATI so that is all I can really comment on and I'm also a bit biased just because I like how they handled my support questions before I even sent in a sample. Numbers have been consistent between tests. Any questions I had I sent in a email and they respond rather quickly.

First one I sent in actually helped ID a problem with my specific gravity. They reported 34 ppt which lead me to get some calibration fluid for my digital unit and sure enough, it was off.

I usually send one in every 6 months. Hoping to find them on sale this year around the holidays. I use them more or less for a reference and nothing else. Still not a huge fan of their process of calibrating once a day although I understand it is cost prohibitive for after every sample without increasing the cost. So if you go in understanding how it works i think they are great for a holistic view and nothing else.

We should all still look at our tanks and core metrics for day to day health.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For the 2nd of 3 times i have sent a water sample to Triton and it’s been OVER a week and I haven’t received results back.
Not even sure how to contact them to follow up.
Had this been water due to an urgent issue, I would be screwed.

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 2nd of 3 times i have sent a water sample to Triton and it’s been OVER a week and I haven’t received results back.
Not even sure how to contact them to follow up.
Had this been water due to an urgent issue, I would be screwed.

You should have gotten emails every step of the way. I get an email when the sample arrives in ca and they ship to germany and then one when ready. But still yeah it can easily take a week. I would still check junk mail filter and your email settings. I do appreciate the status.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You should have gotten emails every step of the way. I get an email when the sample arrives in ca and they ship to germany and then one when ready. But still yeah it can easily take a week. I would still check junk mail filter and your email settings. I do appreciate the status.
I thought so. Will contact them in the morning

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ICP-Analysis.com. They are in Denver, CO, so US customers can get results much quicker than sending samples to Europe. My first test showed elevated arsenic levels, so I was concerned that maybe my home water supply was contaminated. But after sending them samples of my tap water and my RO/DI filtered water, both showed zero arsenic. I learned the arsenic is in the salt mix, but not at levels that harms anything in the tank.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in a test just after cycling was finished to get a Baseline on where my tank is at. I used ICP-Analysis.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Icp test back today: Iodine is at 0ppm. that was the only red box!
That may not be any concern, but adding some and seeing if there is any benefit is easy to do.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in a test just after cycling was finished to get a Baseline on where my tank is at. I used ICP-Analysis.
FWIW, I do not have confidence in them based on comments the owner made here a while back. Hopefully they have educated themselves since then.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ICP-Analysis.com. They are in Denver, CO, so US customers can get results much quicker than sending samples to Europe. My first test showed elevated arsenic levels, so I was concerned that maybe my home water supply was contaminated. But after sending them samples of my tap water and my RO/DI filtered water, both showed zero arsenic. I learned the arsenic is in the salt mix, but not at levels that harms anything in the tank.

I expect the arsenic was an error on their part. What makes you think it is in the salt mix?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a thread that may be worth reading before relying exclusively on unusual results from icp analysis dot com

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect the arsenic was an error on their part. What makes you think it is in the salt mix?

Because every test result I get back from them shows arsenic in my saltwater, but zero arsenic in my tap water or RO/DI. I've done more than one sample of each.

I have also read other people's accounts of the same issue, and a few articles that mention arsenic in salt mixes. This one's a bit dated, but there are others: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aafeature1

OP
OP
MnFish1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Because every test result I get back from them shows arsenic in my saltwater, but zero arsenic in my tap water or RO/DI. I've done more than one sample of each.

I have also read other people's accounts of the same issue, and a few articles that mention arsenic in salt mixes. This one's a bit dated, but there are others: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aafeature1
It used to be tin (Sn)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back