Anthias arrived Injured.

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday morning, i received 5 lyretails, 2 wrasses, a small sailfin, and a fish the seller accidentally sent (yellow watchman). I did a 30 min float and safety dipped them before putting them in the 80 gallon qt. I ordered 5 females but i think the seller sold me 2 females that are transitioning cause they were very big. One of the bag leaked in shipment and the fish was half out of water (the biggest anthias) and i saw that it’s lips were injured. I didn’t think he would survive the first night but they all did. When i first put them in the qt i saw that 4 out of 5 of them had some kind of injury, either the fins were a bit ragged and red or their lips. They all started eating the same day though so i was relieved. i think they were somewhat crowded in the seller’s tank and they might have injured each other. I was going to start with copper, but seeing them injured i think copper would worsen the infection. They don't fight in the qt but their injuries aren’t healing very fast. When am i able to start copper? I can use furan-2 on them now, i think that might be good for now. But im wondering when can i start copper/general cure? Is it when the redness stop or when everything is fully healed? They only have mild redness on the fins.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pictures? It is a tough call to say if you should treat with antibiotics first, or copper. Copper won't directly worsen an infection, but it does impact their immunity to some degree. On the other hand, it sounds like these fish were a bit damaged before you got them, and perhaps they also were exposed to some protozoans at the dealer's? In those cases, fish can die very quickly from ich or velvet, so copper is usually my first choice to begin quarantine with.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post some pictures? It is a tough call to say if you should treat with antibiotics first, or copper. Copper won't directly worsen an infection, but it does impact their immunity to some degree. On the other hand, it sounds like these fish were a bit damaged before you got them, and perhaps they also were exposed to some protozoans at the dealer's? In those cases, fish can die very quickly from ich or velvet, so copper is usually my first choice to begin quarantine with.

Jay
Sorry for the late reply it was midnight here and i wanted to take decent pictures of them.
B25999D0-E827-42DD-AE61-6B3AAF536E60.jpeg
0E9C1D4D-9B79-4CA4-ABFC-E6EDEFD97622.jpeg
B0F7C930-C26F-45A3-A017-6A90584F3406.jpeg

The last two pics are of the same fish (with the leaking bag). Im not sure what the black things on its tail is, that same fish has it in 2 other places. Im guessing its some kind of infection?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see - but this looks like mechanical damage. If you don't see discrete ich spots and if the fish aren't breathing rapidly, you should probably start with antibiotics. What would you have available? Neoplex or Maracyn 2 are two possible choices.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see - but this looks like mechanical damage. If you don't see discrete ich spots and if the fish aren't breathing rapidly, you should probably start with antibiotics. What would you have available? Neoplex or Maracyn 2 are two possible choices.

Jay
dont see any of those online or in stores here all i can get my hands on is furan 2

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont see any of those online or in stores here all i can get my hands on is furan 2
That will work as well, it will cause he water to become a bit yellow. Always monitor ammonia in the treatment tank during antibiotic dosing.
Jay

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back