Anthias in an 8x2x2 240gal

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning to add some smaller fish in my 240 gallon, I’m thinking of adding anthias, a fairy/flasher wrasse and flame hawkfish. As for the anthias, I’m deciding between the following:
  1. 3-5 Dispar Anthias
  2. 3-5 Lyretail Anthias
  3. 1 Barlett’s Anthias
I decided to only have 1 Barlett’s if ever since I’ve read most of the time you won’t be able to keep a male with a harem of females (since the females would have a good chance to turn to male). As for the dispar and lyretail, can I keep 3 of each together? Or is it better to have 5 of only one kind? I have a 50gal qt (45gal water volume) can I qt them together? Thanks!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20 Bartletts in my 240. Most are super male. They look the best as males. They’re ugly as females. I’ve had 10 bimacs which got really big, and 12 lyretails at one point and those are always pretty. If I could do ventralis again, I would.

Honestly Bartletts are super pretty. Mine don’t scuffle that much and they add so much life. You can’t tell, but there are 20 Bartletts in there.

6E73C5C0-7535-4D47-991B-EA7CC47F1257.jpeg

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 20 Bartletts in my 240. Most are super male. They look the best as males. They’re ugly as females. I’ve had 10 bimacs which got really big, and 12 lyretails at one point and those are always pretty. If I could do ventralis again, I would.

Honestly Bartletts are super pretty. Mine don’t scuffle that much and they add so much life. You can’t tell, but there are 20 Bartletts in there.

6E73C5C0-7535-4D47-991B-EA7CC47F1257.jpeg

Barlett's are quite expensive from where I live so if ever, I'd probably just get a trio maybe. Then can it coexist with a trio of lyretails and a trio of dispars? How would I introduce them? And I assume you can't just mix them in a quarantine tank?

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @Humblefish what would be your suggested QT protocol for anthias? I've heard they're prone to uronema so I plan to treat it prophylactically. This is my plan for anthias:
Day 1 - introduction to tank
Day 3 - feed metro-soaked food
Day 6 - start of copper ramp-up
Day 12 - last day of copper ramp-up (should reach therapeutic levels by now)
Day 16 - last day of feeding metro-soaked food
Day 18-19 - Prazipro (Round 1)

Then Prazipro and Copper will follow standard QT protocol like what I do with angels and tangs (4 weeks cupramine @ 0.45-0.5ppm; 2 rounds prazipro spaced 5-7 days apart). I have no choice with cupramine, since it's the only one locally available. The only concern I have is the addition of Metroplex in the protocol, since with angels and tangs, I don't use Metroplex much unless there's an external bacterial infection (I use the trifecta of Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex all dosed in the water column, nothing fed).

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back