Anthias lover's thread

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my Huchtii anthias didn't last very long, RIP. They all ate and swam around well for about 2 weeks, but after this they slowly disappeared one by one until there was one left, after which the last one vanished. It's been over a month now, and I've yet to find any signs of dead fish in the tank. They did not jump out, and they aren't in the sump anywhere. Super bummed about this, it was a big investment.
Have you checked every dark spot?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my Huchtii anthias didn't last very long, RIP. They all ate and swam around well for about 2 weeks, but after this they slowly disappeared one by one until there was one left, after which the last one vanished. It's been over a month now, and I've yet to find any signs of dead fish in the tank. They did not jump out, and they aren't in the sump anywhere. Super bummed about this, it was a big investment.
You won't find them. Anthias decompose fairly quickly ime and CUC takes care of the rest. Did you have an auto feeder? I find when I buy from my LFS after observing for a few weeks, or TSM who watch the fish for a month, they tend to do the best.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked every dark spot?
I checked under and inside every rock that I could move.

You won't find them. Anthias decompose fairly quickly ime and CUC takes care of the rest. Did you have an auto feeder? I find when I buy from my LFS after observing for a few weeks, or TSM who watch the fish for a month, they tend to do the best.
Yeah I expected as much. I have an auto feeder set to feed 4 small meals a day, and several of the anthias were eating the food from it. It was just a strange, sudden disappearance.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, all 3 pictilis suddenly died. They were eating mysis well, no heavy breathing or spots. Midas in the tank with them is fine. I feel that these may be a fragile anthias. I'm 0 for 6 on these and won't try again.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My (2) new anthias in QT are still doing good. Eating like pigs and gaining weight. Tomorrow will be day 30 in copper for the Carberryi and day 28 for the Randall. Both have been through 3 Prazi treatments so far, but will get one more for good measure. They also got a couple metroplex treatments and kanaplex treatments due to the damsel that is in QT with them getting popeye.. all cleared up now.

so I'm hoping these anthias are clean of any issues at this point.

couple weeks of observation (no meds) and hopefully they will be ready to go.
20220427_202405.jpg

20220427_203705.jpg

20220427_201906.jpg

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My (2) new anthias in QT are still doing good. Eating like pigs and gaining weight. Tomorrow will be day 30 in copper for the Carberryi and day 28 for the Randall. Both have been through 3 Prazi treatments so far, but will get one more for good measure. They also got a couple metroplex treatments and kanaplex treatments due to the damsel that is in QT with them getting popeye.. all cleared up now.

so I'm hoping these anthias are clean of any issues at this point.

couple weeks of observation (no meds) and hopefully they will be ready to go.
20220427_202405.jpg

20220427_203705.jpg

20220427_201906.jpg
They look like beasts. Nothing should phase them.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are beautiful. I had 5.

An Ich outbreak killed 4 of them including the male. Only 1 left.

I guess I should try adding 4 more.

1653195806702.png

1653195846180.png
You should add more. I think TSM has some. Three of mine came from TSM over a year ago and are doing well.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota pink square anthias. Eating pellet and frozen. Little shy of the larger fish I have (Zoster and Pyramid Butterflies) but out and eating. Love these things.

If anyone is looking for Anthias and want something healthy and known eating these are the bees knees. Really awesome, healthy, and eating.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biota pink square anthias. Eating pellet and frozen. Little shy of the larger fish I have (Zoster and Pyramid Butterflies) but out and eating. Love these things.

If anyone is looking for Anthias and want something healthy and known eating these are the bees knees. Really awesome, healthy, and eating.

I love this anthia too and had one. I don't think my male lyretail or bimac would welcome it though.

tank.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this anthia too and had one. I don't think my male lyretail or bimac would welcome it though.

tank.jpg

Very pretty. I love Lyretails but have had a difficult time keeping them long term so gave up. Nice display and Anthias.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance there is an anthias species you can keep a single fish in a 53 gallon tank?
pretty much any of them can be kept as a single.

I only keep a couple single female anthias in my smaller tank (45G) and they do fine. Right now I have a female Carberryi and a female Randalls that do fine together. I got them back in march, a few days apart, but I QT'd them together. They were QT'd together and then released into my DT together, and have been a duo ever since. They spend 85% of their time together but do have different hiding spots they retreat to. I'd like to add a few more different females, but my LFS rarely gets any anthias other than lyretails, so it's been a slow process trying to add more. I'd eventually like to get a saddle back at least, but it's looking like I'm going to have to order/ship one in if I want it anytime soon. I've noticed they are in stock right now at several vendors, so I'm getting the itch to order one.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back