Anthias lover's thread

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who did you get from?
Got the fish in today! 1 sadly came in DOA, but I got a refund right away for both the fish & shipping, so I will order another one today. All of the fish were way bigger than I expected, and it looks like at least one of them is transitioning to male! Two of the four have eaten calanus, and three have shown interest in flake, so I'm excited to get these guys in the main display. IMG_0014 (2).JPG
IMG_0017 (2).JPG
IMG_0018 (2).JPG

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who did you get from?
Reefs4Less. Not my first choice, but I was already ordering from them anyways and they had the same fish as BlueZoo but, as the name states, for less. Went ahead and bought from them, I'm pretty happy with the results.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these going in with? Anthias-wise.
no other anthias yet. Just starting to add some.
planning to try a few of the smaller, more peaceful types. Carberryi, Randall, maybe Dispar or Ingitus... unfortunately, my LFS doesn't get too many anthias other than lyretails too often, and when they do, they don't last too long.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed you said 3 males. Do they fight all the time? How many females and what size tank? My largest female wants to turn but the male keeps after her.
I got the shipment from TSM about 8 months ago. It was 10 females. Three of them had dorsal spikes when they came in (they all transitioned in August of last year). The tank is 525 gallons with a central overflow (centered as column in the center of the tank). Two of the males hang out on one side and the other is a loner on the other side of the tank. The females hang out on the two male dominant side. There are occasional squabbles with the males (only seen them lip locked 4-5 times just for a second or two). Mostly just dive bombing the females to keep them in check. No torn fins or anything like that. So overall it's been good. The least dominate male (opposite side by himself) causes the most issues when he crosses the border and gets chased back. He also appears to be losing his male coloration and returning more "peachy" in the body over the last 2 months.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the shipment from TSM about 8 months ago. It was 10 females. Three of them had dorsal spikes when they came in (they all transitioned in August of last year). The tank is 525 gallons with a central overflow (centered as column in the center of the tank). Two of the males hang out on one side and the other is a loner on the other side of the tank. The females hang out on the two male dominant side. There are occasional squabbles with the males (only seen them lip locked 4-5 times just for a second or two). Mostly just dive bombing the females to keep them in check. No torn fins or anything like that. So overall it's been good. The least dominate male (opposite side by himself) causes the most issues when he crosses the border and gets chased back. He also appears to be losing his male coloration and returning more "peachy" in the body over the last 2 months.
That is my favorite size/shape tank. My LFS, when I lived in St. Louis had one.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's nice 7 feet long, 4 feet deep, 30 inches tall. Glad I didnt go 36 tall, 30 is almost too much to deal with. Havent had to get a mask and snorkle yet!
Got any photos? It sounds beautiful!!

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any photos? It sounds beautiful!!
There's more in my build thread, taking mostly small pics as the tank is only a year old and Im waiting for coral colonies to grow in. Going with less species, but larger colony look. I dont like the frag retail/small colony look that much.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are definitely on my fish bucket list! They not only add a lot of color to a reef, but they also have excellent personalities! Right now, though, I don't think they're in the cards for me, but hopefully one day I'll be able to keep one.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefs4Less. Not my first choice, but I was already ordering from them anyways and they had the same fish as BlueZoo but, as the name states, for less. Went ahead and bought from them, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Well, my Huchtii anthias didn't last very long, RIP. They all ate and swam around well for about 2 weeks, but after this they slowly disappeared one by one until there was one left, after which the last one vanished. It's been over a month now, and I've yet to find any signs of dead fish in the tank. They did not jump out, and they aren't in the sump anywhere. Super bummed about this, it was a big investment.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back