any Alkatronic owners on here?

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

Checking to see if there's anyone here using the Alkatronic and if you could share your experiences with me.
Thank you!

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I own 2 of them and I don’t know what I would do without them. They are accurate as long as you keep them calibrated and compare to a trusted source. I use a Hanna Alk checker and Hana reference solution to compare to. My only suggestion is they improve the app. as it is a bit quirky when it comes to connectivity. Their support has been wonderful though, with a very active facebook page.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I own 2 of them and I don’t know what I would do without them. They are accurate as long as you keep them calibrated and compare to a trusted source. I use a Hanna Alk checker and Hana reference solution to compare to. My only suggestion is they improve the app. as it is a bit quirky when it comes to connectivity. Their support has been wonderful though, with a very active facebook page.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. Does your setup include a calcium reactor and does the Alkatronic control it or are you using 2 part where it controls the dosing pump for ALK (soda ash or bicarbonate)?

Hausser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an alkatronic as well for testing my alkalinity. I dose two part. I also have a trident and love my alkatronic. I trust alkatronic more than the trident.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an alkatronic as well for testing my alkalinity. I dose two part. I also have a trident and love my alkatronic. I trust alkatronic more than the trident.

Does the Alkatronic control your dosing pump for 2 part or do you have a extra container or ALK that the Alkatronic draws from to make small adjustments?

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. Does your setup include a calcium reactor and does the Alkatronic control it or are you using 2 part where it controls the dosing pump for ALK (soda ash or bicarbonate)?
I have both. For the tank with the CaRX, i use an Apex to control, but I have the Alkatronic connected to the Apex and use the reading to turn off solenoid for upper limit. For dosing pump, very similar, I do not use the separate pump on Alkatronic for Alk, but it is connected to an Apex where I use the reading to stop dosing at upper limit. I self dose if the Alkatropic notifies that Alk is too low as I like to balance with calcium. I guess you can do something similar with the Dosetronic, but I do not own one of those.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. For the tank with the CaRX, i use an Apex to control, but I have the Alkatronic connected to the Apex and use the reading to turn off solenoid for upper limit. For dosing pump, very similar, I do not use the separate pump on Alkatronic for Alk, but it is connected to an Apex where I use the reading to stop dosing at upper limit. I self dose if the Alkatropic notifies that Alk is too low as I like to balance with calcium. I guess you can do something similar with the Dosetronic, but I do not own one of those.

I have a Apex as well that controllers two BRS dosing pumps (connected to outlets that simply turn on/off based on schedule) for ALK and CA. What type of cable do I need to connect the Alkatronic to Apex to command the ALK pump? Im thinking that if ALK runs low per the Alkatronic, then I want it to override the schedule and dose more ALK to raise the level? asking all this to see if it makes sense for how I want to use it or is there a better way?

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Apex as well that controllers two BRS dosing pumps (connected to outlets that simply turn on/off based on schedule) for ALK and CA. What type of cable do I need to connect the Alkatronic to Apex to command the ALK pump? Im thinking that if ALK runs low per the Alkatronic, then I want it to override the schedule and dose more ALK to raise the level? asking all this to see if it makes sense for how I want to use it or is there a better way?
Hi, The cable is a standard cable with the same connector as the PH probe. I don’t remember the name, although it is covered in the Alkatronic users guide. If you just want to increase Alk, then the Alkatronic has a dosing pump to do just that and it includes several ”fail safe” software algorithms to keep from over dosing. In my opinion, the Apex is better at stopping the dosing if Alk reaches your upper limit. The Apex programming to add a dose relies on profiles and is not very flexible IMO.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, The cable is a standard cable with the same connector as the PH probe. I don’t remember the name, although it is covered in the Alkatronic users guide. If you just want to increase Alk, then the Alkatronic has a dosing pump to do just that and it includes several ”fail safe” software algorithms to keep from over dosing. In my opinion, the Apex is better at stopping the dosing if Alk reaches your upper limit. The Apex programming to add a dose relies on profiles and is not very flexible IMO.

sounds good, thank you for all the replies. I really like this unit, I've researched the Trident quite a bit and I just don't like the idea of being tied to Neptune system for pricey reagents. Also, I don't see the need to test for MG because I do automated water changes and my MG has never dropped below 1400. Finally, CA drifts very little in my tank, it's ALK that I notice the most changes in my weekly water tests so I think the Alkatronic will be great addition to manage this parameter for me.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good, thank you for all the replies. I really like this unit, I've researched the Trident quite a bit and I just don't like the idea of being tied to Neptune system for pricey reagents. Also, I don't see the need to test for MG because I do automated water changes and my MG has never dropped below 1400. Finally, CA drifts very little in my tank, it's ALK that I notice the most changes in my weekly water tests so I think the Alkatronic will be great addition to manage this parameter for me.

You’ll like it I would imagine as long as you set it up properly. I run a CaRx and this is what my graph looks like currently.

1AC82EA8-90B4-4B0F-A853-5B56F13D0E61.jpeg

CaRx isn’t designed to fluctuate so I have it set at a point where it doesn’t increase much at night and have the Alkatronic increase it when below my threshold. Works a dream.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll like it I would imagine as long as you set it up properly. I run a CaRx and this is what my graph looks like currently.

CaRx isn’t designed to fluctuate so I have it set at a point where it doesn’t increase much at night and have the Alkatronic increase it when below my threshold. Works a dream.
I am thinking about the alkatronic. I have read some of the instruction manual. Do you do all the calibrations, hose replacements, etc as described in the manual? It seems like a lot of stuff. Or maybe just let me know what maintenance you do would be greatly appreciated!

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about the alkatronic. I have read some of the instruction manual. Do you do all the calibrations, hose replacements, etc as described in the manual? It seems like a lot of stuff. Or maybe just let me know what maintenance you do would be greatly appreciated!
The calibrations will be about every 3 months. The ph probe will vary depending on your water. I have found a little bit of stuff growing in the gap between the bulb and plastic part of the probe and you need to keep that clean. There are some tell tale signs the probe needs to be calibrated and/or cleaned...like your measurements start climbing for no apparent reason.

It isn't a lot of stuff. I can answer your questions further on this if you like....

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calibrations will be about every 3 months. The ph probe will vary depending on your water. I have found a little bit of stuff growing in the gap between the bulb and plastic part of the probe and you need to keep that clean. There are some tell tale signs the probe needs to be calibrated and/or cleaned...like your measurements start climbing for no apparent reason.

It isn't a lot of stuff. I can answer your questions further on this if you like....
Thanks!

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is great about the Alkatronic....you can connect it to the Dosetronic...and the Dosetronic will automatically control your dosing based on your dKH measurement. There are two ways...long answer...but if you want to know, I can go in to the details.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s really just like maintaining any dosing pump

MentalNote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same here as Scottsweet and Mitch. Not too much to do maintenance wise, biggest step was just getting it all setup. I'm really happy with the system.

I've had my Alkatrinic for roughly 2 years and dosetronic for about a year. I've done 1 ph probe change (~20 minutes the first time) and changed dosing pump tubes a few times (~3 minutes each). Calibration doesn't need to happen that often and quick to do.

The biggest hassle for me is making the testing solution. I have a one gallon jug and the solution lasts about 2 months. I always seem to notice it is low, just as I'm getting for take a trip. Considering the 10 minutes it takes me to remake it, there is no comparison to the 360+ alk. test I get out of it.

After an ATO and controller, its the best addition I've made to my tank.

IMG_4680.JPG

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here as Scottsweet and Mitch. Not too much to do maintenance wise, biggest step was just getting it all setup. I'm really happy with the system.

I've had my Alkatrinic for roughly 2 years and dosetronic for about a year. I've done 1 ph probe change (~20 minutes the first time) and changed dosing pump tubes a few times (~3 minutes each). Calibration doesn't need to happen that often and quick to do.

The biggest hassle for me is making the testing solution. I have a one gallon jug and the solution lasts about 2 months. I always seem to notice it is low, just as I'm getting for take a trip. Considering the 10 minutes it takes me to remake it, there is no comparison to the 360+ alk. test I get out of it.

After an ATO and controller, its the best addition I've made to my tank.

IMG_4680.JPG

If I’m being honest, I’d say that the Alkatronic is more important that everything else on my system. The other parameters like pH, salinity, Orp, temp can be determined via alternative means but dKH in an SPS dominant system is critical.

If I had to choose between my controller and Alkatronic I’d personally choose the Alkatronic and use smart switches (which I already use in the system) and something to monitor temperature. Even then you can use a chiller with temp control etc.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use the alkatronic to control dosing of Tropic Marin All for Reef? Wondering how you would go about this as the increase in alkalinity is time delayed due to the formulation of the product.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I'm considering an alkatronic as a monitor to use with my CaRx & apex. Can you explain how you have yours set up? When alk is low do you supplemental dose and then adjust the carx effluent output so the supplemental dosing stops? I'm using a fx-stp to control effluent out.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back