Any good reef shops?

Akreefnewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting acclimated on the site here and setting up my new tank, also up here in AK. I use Alaska Coral & Fish in Anchorage, they have a nice shop!
I'm in day 4 of my first nano tank. Doing a 10 gal, love to go bigger , but I live in fairbanks in a dry cabin. Lots can go drastically wrong really fast.
20230203_204902.jpg

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in day 4 of my first nano tank. Doing a 10 gal, love to go bigger , but I live in fairbanks in a dry cabin. Lots can go drastically wrong really fast.
20230203_204902.jpg

Nice! Yea, reefing in a dry cabin might be interesting. We're down on the peninsula. Any shops selling saltwater supplies up north there?

Our little 55 (just moved houses and reconfigured). All rock, sand, fish, corals from Alaska Coral & Fish in Anchorage:

20230129_161539.jpg

IPT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man,
20230203_204902.jpg

Props to you in a dry Cabin! Good luck with the reef!

I'm in the throws of recovering my 120 that crashed about a year ago. Lots of work these tanks!

Akreefnewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Yea, reefing in a dry cabin might be interesting. We're down on the peninsula. Any shops selling saltwater supplies up north there?

Our little 55 (just moved houses and reconfigured). All rock, sand, fish, corals from Alaska Coral & Fish in Anchorage:

20230129_161539.jpg
Very nice, bummer on the crash. Im expecting mine eventually. Just gonna keep it small inexpensive softies, cleaner crew 2 or 3 lil fish if they get along. A few years in a house I hope to build a proper system like yours.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man,

Props to you in a dry Cabin! Good luck with the reef!

I'm in the throws of recovering my 120 that crashed about a year ago. Lots of work these tanks!

Yea, bummer on the crash - good luck with the rebuild!

Akreefnewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea or concept if you maybe interested down the road. Obviously it doesn't seem like we have a lot of reefers this far north. But what would you think about trying to start a reef community in Alaska. I guess my idea is to try to save money for each of us by buying corals together from time to time. Again im only doing g a 10 gal nano. But if we can build trust with each other and a few more people. I'd be willing to pitch in on frags or colonies, keep them in the biggest tank and when yhey can be framed, hand them out to the people who bought it. Basically help someone build a great tank and overtime we all could have one. Buy our own of corse and maybe trade or barter Aldo. Just a random idea.

Akreefnewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an idea or concept if you maybe interested down the road. Obviously it doesn't seem like we have a lot of reefers this far north. But what would you think about trying to start a reef community in Alaska. I guess my idea is to try to save money for each of us by buying corals together from time to time. Again im only doing g a 10 gal nano. But if we can build trust with each other and a few more people. I'd be willing to pitch in on frags or colonies, keep them in the biggest tank and when yhey can be framed, hand them out to the people who bought it. Basically help someone build a great tank and overtime we all could have one. Buy our own of corse and maybe trade or barter Aldo. Just a random idea.
Sorry for all the typing errors, I just got up from a 18 hr shift eyes are jacked still

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'm in for some frag/coral trading, etc. In Fairbanks, are you planning to have frags/livestock shipped in or can you get locally? Not sure if your Petco has any saltwater supplies up there?

Seems to be a decent amount of reefers in the vicinity of Anchorage, some on the peninsula as well, not as familiar with your area or the southeast here though.

IPT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tried a reef club a few times over the years and people just couldn't make meetings and over time all the attempts just faded away. I would be up for group buy from vendors and share shipping expenses. Though of course I'm in Anchorage. Its not as easy as it would seem to coordinate. I know there are some people in Anchorage with nice tanks but I have no contact with any of them.

Akreefnewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working out a transportation
Yea I'm in for some frag/coral trading, etc. In Fairbanks, are you planning to have frags/livestock shipped in or can you get locally? Not sure if your Petco has any saltwater supplies up there?

Seems to be a decent amount of reefers in the vicinity of Anchorage, some on the peninsula as well, not as familiar with your area or the southeast here though.
Only petco here. So online and im making a igloo heater setup to transport from Anchorage, when my tank is ready.

Akreefnewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working out a transportation

Only petco here. So online and im making a igloo heater setup to transport from Anchorage, when my tank is ready.
But yes petco has very limited saltwater selection. Like I said, I have major hurdles. But time is on my side with this one. I guess I can look at the positives, hard to move to fast on this, plenty of time to learn and get it right.

Akreefnewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm also a small business owner so I make my own schedule, I own a taxi company here. So travel for frag buys and trades will be easy for me.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wana start a farm tank so bad. I believe there’s plenty of people up here that want corals. Shipping is just so ridiculous. Alaska coral is great, but there stuff is always picked through by the time I get there.

IPT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wana start a farm tank so bad. I believe there’s plenty of people up here that want corals. Shipping is just so ridiculous. Alaska coral is great, but there stuff is always picked through by the time I get there.
Shipping isn't all that bad once you factor in the the fact that the prices are usually way less than local. Come out to be about the same, probably less to be honest. In my opinion, the selection is way nicer too.

There was another shop in recent years. Small shop, mostly frags, some fish. He had some nice tuff (it was on Arctic) but he didn't make it. There may be a handful of people up here but really not enough for a successful business. I can think of at least 3 shops that didn't make it. The way Alaska FIsh and COral survive is really tank maintenance and lesaing tanks, fish and coral to medical offices.

Last edited:

AKLiving

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Akreefnewguy I just no saw this thread. Dry-cabin, water changes, ohh you are determined. Well, that's FB for you. If you need help or some RODI let me know. I'm just getting back into SW tanks again and should be headed to AKCF Friday if my tank comes in. If I do then we will be headed back to FB early Saturday. Let me know if you need anything picked up.

Did you check out the local Facebook page? There are a couple of members on it. And there is one local place that has a few frags for sale but he's moving (staying in FB) soon so I'm not sure what he has for sale. Nice guy to chat with.

I posted in new members and a build page if you are inclined to see what else is going up in Fairbanks. I'm also gathering enough for 1-2 more systems. At least one 24" cube for my office anyway.

Akreefnewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Akreefnewguy I just no saw this thread. Dry-cabin, water changes, ohh you are determined. Well, that's FB for you. If you need help or some RODI let me know. I'm just getting back into SW tanks again and should be headed to AKCF Friday if my tank comes in. If I do then we will be headed back to FB early Saturday. Let me know if you need anything picked up.

Did you check out the local Facebook page? There are a couple of members on it. And there is one local place that has a few frags for sale but he's moving (staying in FB) soon so I'm not sure what he has for sale. Nice guy to chat with.

I posted in new members and a build page if you are inclined to see what else is going up in Fairbanks. I'm also gathering enough for 1-2 more systems. At least one 24" cube for my office anyway.
I will look into ot all, actually rodi is the biggest nemesis, need 60 more distilled water jugs from Fred's and Walmart. Should have the two 40 gals up and cycling end of next week Trying to convince my brothers lady into letting me put a rod setup at their place and pay for the extra water etc...

Akreefnewguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Actually!!! I can't see Akcr inventory, I mean I can call and ask but I like networking. Would you perhaps see if they carry a acrylic lid for a 40 gal breeder. I need 2. Probably buy plexiglass and make my own. Not spending $220 on a lid. The tanks where only $59 lol. But all I'm finding is screens for reptile holding. Otherwise right now is zoa gathering, my brother will be doing more high end zoa garden.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back