Any Idea what this is??

Padawan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, any idea what these things are sticking out of the sand bed? They appeared over night. Recently added a Copperband and Six-line Wrasse.

Display tank
1 Copperband
Six Line Wrasse, Yellow Wrasse
1 Sand Sifting Gobie
2 Clowns
2 Chromis
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Cardinal Fish
2 Turbo snails
3 Hermit crabs

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 11.10.22 AM (2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 11.10.22 AM (1).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 11.34.30 AM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 11.34.16 AM.jpeg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2022-06-07 at 11.10.22 AM.mp4
    3.8 MB
Last edited:

Uriken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting. It does look like a membrane with some type of eggs in it. Hopefully it is not a type of algae and these are the "seeds" to get things going. I was curious as to the age on the tank / sand?
I see your in Ireland. My native country!!

OP
OP
Padawan

Padawan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg sacks were my first thought but nothing in the tank lays like that as far as I can find. They all just appeared this morning, the tank is coming up for two years old, I added more sand about 3 months ago to give the sand sifting goby more to do. I've just used a pipette to remove all that I could see. They appear to have all been attached to one rock under the sand that the goby has been making his home under recently. In the attached picture I've circled where it looks like it was burrowed into the rock.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 1.16.38 PM.jpeg

OP
OP
Padawan

Padawan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still curious if anyone has seen this before. The closest thing I can think of on land is how mycelium populate a substrate like wood before fruiting a mushroom. Fascinating stuff :)

OP
OP
Padawan

Padawan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The little green blobs in the jelly leaves looked like some sort of symbiotic photosynthetic energy producing cells like mitochondria, maybe my imagination is running away from me :D I removed them and stuck them in a glass by a window to see what happens with them

OP
OP
Padawan

Padawan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diligently removing fruiting bodies and studying them may seem like a recipe for gut explosions but I'm quite fatalistic about this. If I'm here to report tomorrow I shall. If not, farewell! Also if anyone has seen anything like this please chime in :)

yourendofdays

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diligently removing fruiting bodies and studying them may seem like a recipe for gut explosions but I'm quite fatalistic about this. If I'm here to report tomorrow I shall. If not, farewell! Also if anyone has seen anything like this please chime in :)
Did you ever figure out what these were? They just appeared in my tank today.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back