Any regal angel experts?

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever keep 2? Is there a definitive way to sex them? I've read conflicting information ranging from can't tell difference, gill spine length, size, ring on fin , etc. Its my favorite fish. Had my current one for about 2.5 years. Would love to get a mate for it. Thanks for any information!!!!

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert, but have kept 2 together more than once. Just bought 2 that were different sizes, each time.
I’d suggest adding a smaller one, but first in an acclimation box to ensure it’s safety.

OP
OP
MyTankSux

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert, but have kept 2 together more than once. Just bought 2 that were different sizes, each time.
I’d suggest adding a smaller one, but first in an acclimation box to ensure it’s safety.
How big of a difference in size do you deem necessary? you think 6" vs 4" is enough?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive seen multiple in a tank. You wont know until they pair off and/or mate

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a difference in size do you deem necessary? you think 6" vs 4" is enough?
That should be enough - Get an acclimation box to get them used to eachother first. Is it possible to go smaller? If not then 4” should be alright but may pose as a risk.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're actually relatively easy to keep in a pair or trio so long as you start with juveniles or females. I had 3 in my old 380 gallon. Bought 2 adult females and paired them up without issue, and 1 small juvenile I added to the pair without issue. They are relatively easy to sex by the size of their gill spike, as are most angelfish. All of them start female and the largest most dominant turns male. Looking at a 4" female and a 4" male side by side, the male's gill spine will be roughly 2x the size.

If you're adding one in with your established fish, my suggestion would be to get the smallest one you can find. Babies are more likely to be accepted.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're actually relatively easy to keep in a pair or trio so long as you start with juveniles or females. I had 3 in my old 380 gallon. Bought 2 adult females and paired them up without issue, and 1 small juvenile I added to the pair without issue. They are relatively easy to sex by the size of their gill spike, as are most angelfish. All of them start female and the largest most dominant turns male. Looking at a 4" female and a 4" male side by side, the male's gill spine will be roughly 2x the size.

If you're adding one in with your established fish, my suggestion would be to get the smallest one you can find. Babies are more likely to be accepted.
How do you know which sex it is, without a second in the tank?
Also, does this go with every angelfish?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know which sex it is, without a second in the tank?
Also, does this go with every angelfish?
Look at lots of pics of the species in question and at the gill spines. If you only have one, assume it's already transitioning to male and get the smallest female you can find.

That technique has worked for any angel I've kept and tried to pair (lots of different Centropyge, Paracentropyge, Pomacanthus, Pygoplites, Chaetodontoplus). Pretty sure it's a universal trait with all angels.

Using wild pairs off google as examples, you can clearly tell male from female:

1dbaa06920a82f269251963ea9327ad3--bangladesh-maldives.jpg
depositphotos_6028532-stock-photo-regal-angelfish-pygoplites-diacanthus.jpg
two-regal-angelfish-pygoplites-diacanthus-swimming-over-coral-reef-also-known-as-royal-uepi-so...jpg

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 41 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back