Any tangs for 45g?

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I completely understand larger tangs require larger tanks. But are there any tangs I could keep in my 45g cube? I understand they need room but are there any smaller species that would be fine for a couple years? Tank is 26.5 w, 19t, 21 d. I’ve seen a few people on the website keeping yellow tangs in this tank for awhile. Just wondering.
Here’s a picture of the tank, only fish in there now are a clown and diamond goby as I’m not that big into fish LOL

56DEE5DA-1CF8-42D8-8B48-FBDEF7F6876D.jpeg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I completely understand larger tangs require larger tanks. But are there any tangs I could keep in my 45g cube? I understand they need room but are there any smaller species that would be fine for a couple years? Tank is 26.5 w, 19t, 21 d. I’ve seen a few people on the website keeping yellow tangs in this tank for awhile. Just wondering.
Here’s a picture of the tank, only fish in there now are a clown and diamond goby as I’m not that big into fish LOL

56DEE5DA-1CF8-42D8-8B48-FBDEF7F6876D.jpeg
Ya got a bondsman yet? You're gonna need one. Lol

U

User1

View Badges
Tang police is a bit harsh.

Short answer is no. Realistically there isn't a tang that will work in that size of a tank for many different reasons. The main being the growth rate (speed at which it grows) and possible side effects (both aggression and stunting of growth). But you may ask why are QT or isolation tanks 20, 30, or 40 gallons...and the reply would be because they are just that. QT and/or isolation tanks and not permanent fixtures.

Short term != long term. Tangs can be found young and are small but they grow. Here is a bad example because you wouldn't consider this type of tang for your aquarium, but work with me. I picked up a Lt. Tang for my 210 gallon upgrade. Bought from LA/DD. Size upon arrival was around 2 1/2 inch. Not too bad and maybe something that would work in your tank - conceptually anyway, right? OK, so this tang is roaming every inch of my tank. Top to bottom and left to right. 54" x 30" x 30" and about 170 LBS or rock. Using all of it. Over the course of 8 months it grew from 2 1/2" to 7 maybe 8 inches. Girth to match. This guy or gal grew so fast that it startled me and I had to consider what to do. Plan upgrade, rehome fish, let it ride it out.

Anyway a small baby yellow, purple, will fit. For a bit. Same would hold true to say a smaller bristletooth - kole. But the reason why I suggest no is because they start small but grow and will need the room to roam. I'd personally consider a coral beauty or flamback angel. Even a flame angel would work although again pushing the boundary of space...

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it if you plan to upgrade real soon. Keep in mind if you stress the fish they are more prone to get sick

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks saf, I completely understand that they need a big tank. I’ve never personally kept a tang so I didn’t know if they were slower growers. I thought flame angels tend to nip at coral?
Tang police is a bit harsh.

Short answer is no. Realistically there isn't a tang that will work in that size of a tank for many different reasons. The main being the growth rate (speed at which it grows) and possible side effects (both aggression and stunting of growth). But you may ask why are QT or isolation tanks 20, 30, or 40 gallons...and the reply would be because they are just that. QT and/or isolation tanks and not permanent fixtures.

Short term != long term. Tangs can be found young and are small but they grow. Here is a bad example because you wouldn't consider this type of tang for your aquarium, but work with me. I picked up a Lt. Tang for my 210 gallon upgrade. Bought from LA/DD. Size upon arrival was around 2 1/2 inch. Not too bad and maybe something that would work in your tank - conceptually anyway, right? OK, so this tang is roaming every inch of my tank. Top to bottom and left to right. 54" x 30" x 30" and about 170 LBS or rock. Using all of it. Over the course of 8 months it grew from 2 1/2" to 7 maybe 8 inches. Girth to match. This guy or gal grew so fast that it startled me and I had to consider what to do. Plan upgrade, rehome fish, let it ride it out.

Anyway a small baby yellow, purple, will fit. For a bit. Same would hold true to say a smaller bristletooth - kole. But the reason why I suggest no is because they start small but grow and will need the room to roam. I'd personally consider a coral beauty or flamback angel. Even a flame angel would work although again pushing the boundary of space...

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad has a 150 gallon at his house And could take the tang when it gets too big. How long would I have though? Particularly interested in yellow, yellow eye kole, and purple tangs.

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks saf, I completely understand that they need a big tank. I’ve never personally kept a tang so I didn’t know if they were slower growers. I thought flame angels tend to nip at coral?

The speed of growth I'm sure is related to the type of tang, eating or food source, etc. I gave a more lengthy answer because I just didn't want to say NO. That doesn't help. On the other hand if you read well, they can grow fast, some can be aggressive, or other details it may mean I actually heard your question and gave it some thought.

With regards to pygmy angels you are correct. They can nip at corals. Flame angels get that wrap as do Potters. I've owned both Flame and Coral Beauties with good success. I am not going to lie but I've had my best success with my Coral Beauty. I kept it in a 40 breeder for about 3 years. That is how long it took for me to upgrade to the 210.

If you want to look at tangs the bristletooths may be the better choice such as Tomini, Two Spot, White Tail, and Kole. There are a few others but I believe most are going to say 50 - 70 gallons I'm afraid. The yellow or purple or even scopus I believe all fall into the zebrasoma familes and get rather large.

Mimic tangs I think are also small (maybe) but are also reef safe with caution.

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The speed of growth I'm sure is related to the type of tang, eating or food source, etc. I gave a more lengthy answer because I just didn't want to say NO. That doesn't help. On the other hand if you read well, they can grow fast, some can be aggressive, or other details it may mean I actually heard your question and gave it some thought.

With regards to pygmy angels you are correct. They can nip at corals. Flame angels get that wrap as do Potters. I've owned both Flame and Coral Beauties with good success. I am not going to lie but I've had my best success with my Coral Beauty. I kept it in a 40 breeder for about 3 years. That is how long it took for me to upgrade to the 210.

If you want to look at tangs the bristletooths may be the better choice such as Tomini, Two Spot, White Tail, and Kole. There are a few others but I believe most are going to say 50 - 70 gallons I'm afraid. The yellow or purple or even scopus I believe all fall into the zebrasoma familes and get rather large.

Mimic tangs I think are also small (maybe) but are also reef safe with caution.
Thank you for your time and actually educating me instead of saying no, I genuinely appreciate that. I’ll probably stay away from the tang because I don’t want to have to chase the fish all over my tank to get it out when it gets too big. I’ll start another thread about the angels because I am interested in those as well. Thank you again!

U

User1

View Badges
Thank you for your time and actually educating me instead of saying no, I genuinely appreciate that. I’ll probably stay away from the tang because I don’t want to have to chase the fish all over my tank to get it out when it gets too big. I’ll start another thread about the angels because I am interested in those as well. Thank you again!

You are welcome. Let us see some other replies as well before we give up hope. I've only kept yellow, purple, kole, lt. tang, and more recently scopus and lavender. I'm by no means an expert. One reason to have a tang besides color and movement is their utility, right?

OP
OP
45ZoaGarden

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! I do have some algae I need eaten because my urchin would much rather snatch up stray coral than eat algae LOL
You are welcome. Let us see some other replies as well before we give up hope. I've only kept yellow, purple, kole, lt. tang, and more recently scopus and lavender. I'm by no means an expert. One reason to have a tang besides color and movement is their utility, right?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... They still should have plenty of room to move even if small. Get some nice wrasse that stay on the smaller side instead... Most grow slow.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size tank did you have the purple in and for how long before it got too big that you moved it to the 220?

Or was it about the same growth rate as the LT?

U

User1

View Badges
What size tank did you have the purple in and for how long before it got too big that you moved it to the 220?

Or was it about the same growth rate as the LT?

The purple was in my 100 gallon back in 2000.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The purple was in my 100 gallon back in 2000.
This tang subject is quite interesting lol, I also put a kole into a 75g from my 32g cube once it got the right size and is happy as a pig in mud which has me thinking. I've been approved by the wife for a 220g or something of that size but that's in a year when the extra room is done. So it would be in a 75g 4' for that duration... they come in at 1.5" tiny size but I dont want to cramp it....hmmmm

OP how long until you get a bigger tank up and going?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank dimensions is the limiting factor IMO. It's never a good idea to house a fish with intentions to upgrade. Have I done it, yes. I would not recommend it. If you have plans to rehome to your dads tank that would be fine but catching the tang could also be an issue. I'm not the tang police, kept a purple tang in a 75 for many years.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank dimensions is the limiting factor IMO. It's never a good idea to house a fish with intentions to upgrade. Have I done it, yes. I would not recommend it. If you have plans to rehome to your dads tank that would be fine but catching the tang could also be an issue. I'm not the tang police, kept a purple tang in a 75 for many years.
Definitely agree with this and why I'm trying to talk myself out of the purple for my 75g and wait a year.....but you had one in a 75g so you know how that might go, I should take my own advice and wait lol wish I had a tank ready right now for when he was bigger ;)

45zoagarden if your dad already has a 150g I say get it and move it. I know I might get a lot of heat for this but let's be honest....probably %80 of people reading this will say the same just not type it so they dont get bombarded.

You actually have a tank that is ready and set up for the tang when your little tank is no longer capable of supporting the tang. You are not being super bad lol and getting it in Hope to have another tank one day.

Catching a tang can be difficult as DSC said but they are easier as they get bigger and as long as it is healthy there shouldn't be any issues.

Good luck and keep us posted if you get it!!

Back