Any Thoughts On The Klir Filter?

RyanHoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 4" model. I gotta say, it's my first and only piece of equipment that I would not recommend to a friend. It just doesn't work as well as it should. My sump has become dirtier since switching from socks to this roller filter. I feel awful giving it a bad review, but I've tried so hard to tinker with it, thinking it was something I was doing wrong. It just isn't a great product, unfortunately.

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 dir-4s and the issue I have is the rolls only last a couple weeks with my flow at 800gph according to a apex flow sensor.
Coralvue said they would have 120 micron rolls over a year ago. Any update on this @CoralVue

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 2 dir-4s and the issue I have is the rolls only last a couple weeks with my flow at 800gph according to a apex flow sensor.
Coralvue said they would have 120 micron rolls over a year ago. Any update on this @CoralVue

Something is not right.. I have two Klirs since early July and just replaced my first roll this week. I am getting about 2 + months out of mine.

Maybe you have to much food going down your overflow or something. What size tank is it? Maybe your sump is undersized and you need larger filter socks like 7 inch.

Mine are on a 120 gallon bare bottom with around 17 or 18 fish.

Last edited:

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine works great when its not getting torn by snails. I ordered a large course sponge design for the Red Sea Reefers bubble trap. Im going to cut it to size and hopefully use it as a physical barrier to keep snails from entering the Klir. Fingers crossed!

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something is not right.. I have two Klirs since early July and just replaced my first roll this week. I am getting about 2 + months out of mine.

Maybe you have to much food going down your overflow or something. What size tank is it? Maybe your sump is undersized and you need larger filter socks like 7 inch.

Mine are on a 120 gallon bare bottom with around 17 or 18 fish.

Its right, its not overfeeding and not sure that such a thing exist.
I think the main contributor is its a 200 gallon bare bottom with super high flow so nothing settles in a sand bed.
I wish I could get the larger 7 inch version but it does not fit.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its right, its not overfeeding and not sure that such a thing exist.
I think the main contributor is its a 200 gallon bare bottom with super high flow so nothing settles in a sand bed.
I wish I could get the larger 7 inch version but it does not fit.
I agree, i go through my rolls rather quickly on my bare bottom tank with higher flow

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, i go through my rolls rather quickly on my bare bottom tank with higher flow
@CoralVue did say that they were going to have a 120 micron roll available but that was a year ago. Would like to get an update/eta on this since it will save me time and money. I am already invested $500 in this system which works well but if the larger micro rolls are not going to come out at all now I may sell it.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@CoralVue did say that they were going to have a 120 micron roll available but that was a year ago. Would like to get an update/eta on this since it will save me time and money. I am already invested $500 in this system which works well but if the larger micro rolls are not going to come out at all now I may sell it.
I agree! A larger micron roll would definitely be a nice option. I know id probably go that route!

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey incase anybody is having issues with tiny snails, i think i fixed my problem. I ordered a replacement bubble trap sponge for a Red Sea Reefer (just because i knew they were very course sponge) and used a piece of it as a physical barrier infront of the Klir. I plan om rinsing it every few weeks. So far so good!

Colt Granquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s just an on/off button. I often have trouble shutting power down when the unit use to snag and would have to use a combination of pressing repeatedly and or holding the button in.
There’s no function to manually roll it which is a hindsight issue on their part but I think they are just using a modified version of their ATO controller to save on R&D.
You can however get the unit to manually advance by partially unplugging the optical sensor lead (marked TS on the controller port).
Huge help! Thanks man!

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone want 2 slightly used 7" Klir's? I used them for 1 month and removed them. I will sell them cheap. PM me if interested.

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not willing to share the file but could print you one out if black ABS. What is the exact diameter of the hole you need to fill.

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been very happy with my Klir that I ditched the controller on and use my Apex to advance the fleece once per day. I am setting up a new Red See tank with a Red See Roller Mat 500 and want to do the same. Has anyone done this before? The roller mat is on ordered but I have not received it yet to see if the motor and controller are seperate like they are on the Klir.

jbillbury07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi: I am a newbie. I recently bought 2 Klir di4s. I like to control with Apex as you said in your post. Please advise me on how to do the same. Willing to pay consultation setup fee.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi: I am a newbie. I recently bought 2 Klir di4s. I like to control with Apex as you said in your post. Please advise me on how to do the same. Willing to pay consultation setup fee.
I believe you can plug into an EB832 outlet and control times on the fusion screen for it to go on and off

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just turning power on to the unit will not make it work in regards to the fleece roll advancing.

Gotfrogs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What voltage is the power supply on your klir? If it is 24v, you can send me your motor with cord and I can connect an apex 24v connector to it. That is how I have mine setup. Has worked great for a while now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back