Any wet shavers?

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally started wet shaving using a brush and soap about 4-5 months ago and I love it. but i'm still using the cartridge style razors and based on what I read here the safety razors are the way to go. I'm ready to put on my big boys pants and give it a go. So i did a quick search and it pulled up so many different razors and over 100 different blades lol.
one that had great reviews was the Edwin Jagger as far as the razor goes. No idea about blades. what do you guys recommend?

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally started wet shaving using a brush and soap about 4-5 months ago and I love it. but i'm still using the cartridge style razors and based on what I read here the safety razors are the way to go. I'm ready to put on my big boys pants and give it a go. So i did a quick search and it pulled up so many different razors and over 100 different blades lol.
one that had great reviews was the Edwin Jagger as far as the razor goes. No idea about blades. what do you guys recommend?
Tryablade.com get one of their sampler packs. This shop exists for a reason!

In my experience.. if you want a gentle blade get Persona Reds. Vokshod is also friendly for new shavers.

As for the razors itself, merker is great. But if you want to get your feet wet at a reasonable cost you could try one of maggards razors. They are the BRS of the shaving world. All of their gear is based towards beginners, so their razors are mild. Merker are typically more aggressive, and that can be absolutely fine but may be a tougher starting point.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Bookworm

thanks for the detailed explanation, its very helpful. i was wondering/assuming if i was doing it wrong.

i'm going to stick with the arko for a while, and maybe get a foofoo soap next time i need to order some blades. only 88 new blades left to go ;Joyful
Took these for you the other day. One is after loading the brush, the other is after making the lather
a41822b0cc1f808e056bbafd9221453b.jpg
bc662d70f616699dff81e6bfdd1f95c6.jpg

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're into colognes you'd love this hobby lol. We are intimately familiar with fougere, chypres, etc etc. Most of these high end soap artisans study cologne and EdTs, some of them have tirelessly remade some if the oldest and most classic cologne bases around, like mousse de saxe, 17th century cypres, etc etc.

These scents are actually quite well made.

Here's the story behind one of Barrister and Mann's best soaps -- Lavanille

"Some time ago, Barrister and Mann had the extraordinary fortune to obtain a sample of the discontinued, leathery perfume base Mousse de Saxe. Armed with only this small sample and historical records of what went into the original, we set out to re-create the famous design by smell alone. After four months of research, formulation, reformulation, and constant refinement, we successfully rebuilt Mousse de Saxe into its original glory. It seemed only fitting that such an achievement should be used to create a soap inspired by some of the greatest masculine fragrances of all time.

We blend our version of Mousse de Saxe with lavender, vanilla, cedar, and the elegant musk Exaltolide to create a dark, leathery, elegant soap unlike anything seen for nearly a half century."
Wow

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't shaved in years. But using a the badger hair and soap in a dish and a single razor was always satisfying. Wife doesn't like my face without hair on it anymore :D. I am due for a good shave. Hell it will just grow back in a week or two lol

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a proper safety razor, but no real shave soap nor brush. I also haven't shaved in 16 months. What I need to do, is find a good beard barber now.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for a good starter kit? I've got a cousin that is graduating college in a week and need some suggestions for a nice kit for him.

Check out http://www.maggardrazors.com

They have loads of options. Merkur is a good brand of razor. Any of the Maggard brushes are good, if you want to get a brush. They have loads of shaving cremes and soaps as well.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...haven't shaved in 16 months. What I need to do, is find a good beard barber now.
Good luck. A barber that knows what to do with a beard is a rare thing. I know one... but for the most part, it's best to learn how to maintain it yourself.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back