OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Art of Shaving Sandalwood and love it. Edwin Jagger brush and Razor. I'm constantly trying new blades but Treet are some of my favorites.
If you want a blade thats gentle and forgiving, try persona reds. If you want something insanely sharp, even amongst razors, try feathers.

If you like a really stiff blade, try Gillette silver blues. They're thick and have little give.

If you want to put together a sample pack, go to www.tryablade.com -- they have over 110 blades you can sample from all over the world with every coating you can imagine. Blades from $0.20 to $0.85 each.

If you have any questions pm me

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to, but I’ve found the Phillips one blade and I’ll never go back. I haven’t had a lick of irritation since the switch, and the length of hair doesn’t matter at all...
Yep. The multi blade is a gimmick that frankly sucks. There are still single blade razors too, like the Gem. These safety razors are double edge but only one edge per side, not dual blade.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that was good for a chuckle :p

It's nice not having to shave for sure, unfortunately I still have to most the time. I can get away with a few days stubble but that's about it!

It's surprisingly similar to the beardsmen who use beard oils and such. The only difference is the shaving part, they still hoard products and collect scents and all that.

Seamore2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shave in the shower with bar soap and what ever razor was on sale last time. No mirror required. I have had this face a long time.

Ditto. Been shaving in the shower for 30 years - I'd rather just get it all done and move on with my day. I do use shaving cream at home though - bar soap only when I'm traveling.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you guys get your safety razors? A particular brand that's better? Blade sources?

West Coast Shaving is good and Stirling Soap has great stuff at reasonable prices. You can check out two forums for a ton of information on this. "The Shave Den" is the friendlier one and is probably the wet shaving equivalent of R2R, and "Badger and Blade" would be the Reef Central lol..

I switched a few years ago and would never go back. Better shave, and I can get a two year supply of 100 Voskhod blades for 8 cents apiece. Direct "From Russia with Love". A hundred blades times 2 or 3 shaves per blade vs. disposables, that are both ridiculously overpriced and adding that much more plastic heading for landfills or the ocean.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voskhod-Do...727100?hash=item5b543423bc:g:hbcAAOSw2ehcgRKo

Even the more "expensive" shave soaps are cheaper than canned foam when you take into account getting 100+ shaves out of a container.

It's one of the very few things in life where the more luxurious version costs less....

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are saving on shaving gear, but how much are you spending on sharp hedge clippers :D
We had the clippers already... I share with Rambo. He doesn't shave much either :p

Rambo1.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a blade thats gentle and forgiving, try persona reds. If you want something insanely sharp, even amongst razors, try feathers.

If you like a really stiff blade, try Gillette silver blues. They're thick and have little give.

If you want to put together a sample pack, go to www.tryablade.com -- they have over 110 blades you can sample from all over the world with every coating you can imagine. Blades from $0.20 to $0.85 each.

If you have any questions pm me

Yea, I always try sample packs. Feathers have been good but I haven't tried the Persona Reds, I'll have to check those out. I retired from the Marine Corps and always used Mach 3s or later, the Fusions. Wish I would have found this sooner; so much better and I would have saved soooo much money since we had to shave daily. Literally pennies on the dollar.

Current crop (Gillette 7'oclocks suck but they were part of the last sampler pack).

46658239124_8283872c0f_b.jpg

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I always try sample packs. Feathers have been good but I haven't tried the Persona Reds, I'll have to check those out. I retired from the Marine Corps and always used Mach 3s or later, the Fusions. Wish I would have found this sooner; so much better and I would have saved soooo much money since we had to shave daily. Literally pennies on the dollar.

Current crop (Gillette 7'oclocks suck but they were part of the last sampler pack).

46658239124_8283872c0f_b.jpg

I like the Super Max platinums for sure. Personna reds are VERY forgiving, I recommend them to new shavers who knick themselves a lot. They're still pretty sharp and give a clean shave. But they definitely aren't feathers.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avid wet shaver myself. I use a Merkur slant head safety razor with Personna Blues for most shaves. Simpson's The Duke 3 is my brush of choice. I also prefer Artisan soaps. Cold River Soap Works is my favorite by far. The post shave is fantastic and I also thoroughly enjoy the scents offered. Mickey Lee, Barrister and Mann, and Maggard Razors are also top notch.

Hubert J. Farnsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the switch to a safety razor was very cathartic for me, wish i'd done it much, much sooner. i'm still using the cheapest can of barbasol i can find though, so talk me into these soaps. not sure i'm into the whole brush and soap thing, but i'm willing to listen.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the switch to a safety razor was very cathartic for me, wish i'd done it much, much sooner. i'm still using the cheapest can of barbasol i can find though, so talk me into these soaps. not sure i'm into the whole brush and soap thing, but i'm willing to listen.

The soap and brush has become a morning ritual for me. It does take a bit more time to complete the shave. It has been a game changer for me when it comes to shaving. Quality soaps will have added oils and conditioners added while processing. This will exponentially help the post shave feel. While the brush helps raise and soften the hairs for a proper shave. Makes your skin feel baby smooth if done right, ime.

I used to use a Gillette Mach 5 with the goop in a can.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back