Anybody know what fish this is?

what was it doing? perched on the bottom, or resting? - too much snout for a blenny - not a flathead perch, a basslet, but what species..

did you buy it? I would have - smile
I wanted to buy it but I got a blenny instead. And now if you look at my other recent post my melanurus killed my lantern bass so Im worried even if it is still at store any new basslet will meet the same fate.... sigh. Time to start a Carribean fowlr tank.

On the bright side I think I did find out what it was. 99% sure this is same fish in photo.

Pygmy seabass​

https://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/caribbean/en/thefishes/species/3547
 
I wanted to buy it but I got a blenny instead. And now if you look at my other recent post my melanurus killed my lantern bass so Im worried even if it is still at store any new basslet will meet the same fate.... sigh. Time to start a Carribean fowlr tank.

On the bright side I think I did find out what it was. 99% sure this is same fish in photo.

Pygmy seabass​

https://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/caribbean/en/thefishes/species/3547
Looks just like the pic! I think you found it!
 
I went back to the store today and he was still there so I got him haha. Have him in this acclimation box to see how wrasse and hawkfish respond. Worst case scenario he might end up as the first fish in new tank I'm setting up.
 

Attachments

  • 20220319_181933.jpg
    20220319_181933.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 65
I went back to the store today and he was still there so I got him haha. Have him in this acclimation box to see how wrasse and hawkfish respond. Worst case scenario he might end up as the first fish in new tank I'm setting up.
I highly doubt wrasses and hawkfish will touch him if I’m honest
 
I wanted to buy it but I got a blenny instead. And now if you look at my other recent post my melanurus killed my lantern bass so Im worried even if it is still at store any new basslet will meet the same fate.... sigh. Time to start a Carribean fowlr tank.

On the bright side I think I did find out what it was. 99% sure this is same fish in photo.

Pygmy seabass​

https://biogeodb.stri.si.edu/caribbean/en/thefishes/species/3547

Yes, it is a pygmy seabass, Serraniculus pumilio. They are variable in color, but the white blotch on the caudal peduncle is the clear way to ID these.

Jay
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new