Anybody know what fish this is?

BringingThatDottyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this at a store. Employee helping me didn't know what it was and it wasn't listed on the fish labels for the tank. I thought it swam like a chalk bass but that may have been my mind playing tricks on just because there was several chalk bass in the same tank.

20220221_130600.jpg

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this at a store. Employee helping me didn't know what it was and it wasn't listed on the fish labels for the tank. I thought it swam like a chalk bass but that may have been my mind playing tricks on just because there was several chalk bass in the same tank.

20220221_130600.jpg
Look up sailfin gobies or blennies. I believe you will find similar if not the same exact coloration in one of those

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a lantern basslet and I don't think the colors are similiar. I do think it looked more like some kind of basset then a blenny.
Ah. I was looking more at the pattern than the colors. That said, I really don’t think it’s a blenny (or at least not a sailfin blenny) as it doesn’t seem to have the “eyebrows” that most sailfin blennies have. I could be wrong though.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look like a blenny at all this me.

It looks like some sort of basslet.

OP
OP
B

BringingThatDottyback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly tobacco basslet, which would be a chalk bass relative.

We could use a better pic however. I know it's tough when the fish is stressed out.
I think that the closest match so far. I was just looking at a few pictures of tobacco basslets and while the colors are different it's similar. I wish I could have gotten more pics but it hid after I took this one. I'm just getting more and more curious now because nobody has identified it and its so cool looking. I love the mottled pattern it has.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d highly doubt it’s a Blenny of some sort - It’s body seems to be too tall and not compressed enough unlike the other blennies. It also has a very short body compared to the height, I’d say either a basslet or a goby.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what was it doing? perched on the bottom, or resting? - too much snout for a blenny - not a flathead perch, a basslet, but what species..

did you buy it? I would have - smile

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back