Anybody see any issues with modifying my sump?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.. so I have an IceCap 48xl sump for my 310 gallon display tank that I’m considering to modify to enlarge the return pump section of it. The sump comes with a 15 gallon ATO reservoir but I’m using my 130g total volume saltwater mixing station also for auto-top offs since it’s in the same room as sump. So I’m considering taking a dremel to the one acrylic side that separates the return pump section from the ATO section and opening the top up more as well so I could better get inside for cleaning purposes.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Or done something similar? Will it be okay to do? Or will I risk messing something up??

In the first pic I roughly outlined the area I’m talking about taking a dremel and cutting out. The inside acrylic that separates the two sections and that top.

AE24E370-55C4-4CA9-AA61-3D1BA3141368.jpeg

C8B2F48D-5188-4560-B8DE-398DB84C466E.jpeg
D6FD2638-87EB-4267-B055-E541EC71C73C.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
While I don’t see an issue, it’s such a beautiful sump

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don’t see an issue, it’s such a beautiful sump
It is, and the thought of taking a dremel to it does make me nervous, not that I doubt my abilities, more so just for the fact that like you said, it’s a great sump as is. I’d make sure the cuts are straight as possible and then also lightly sand it to give a smooth as possible finish to be less noticeable at the very least. Theory behind it being adding to the total water volume of the entire setup, and extra room for a 3rd smaller pump that I’ll have feeding into my Pentair UV. Otherwise if I leave it as-is, it will largely be a large unused section of the sump.

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t think adding ~10 gallons to your already 130gal sump would make that much difference. Not enough to completely destroy the design of that sump of the intended purpose of the built in ATO portion.
Now if you’re doing it for the 3rd pump only function, then that is a decision you’ll have to make. Tough call.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would run it as is. Then modify it down the road if needed. It is beautiful :).

My sump is an open 40 breeder with no baffles so I appreciate the desire to open it up.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would think about converting it into a refugium using the refugium area for reactors and the uv pump. You can connect it to the rest of the system via a pump or by drilling holes from the left side. Benefit of the pump is that the water height could be deeper than the skimmer chamber, giving a larger fuge volume. Also if you use a decent sized pump, connect it to a spray bar in the new fuge and you could get a really good rotation going on your chaeto.

Last edited:

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can’t think adding ~10 gallons to your already 130gal sump would make that much difference. Not enough to completely destroy the design of that sump of the intended purpose of the built in ATO portion.
Now if you’re doing it for the 3rd pump only function, then that is a decision you’ll have to make. Tough call.
Agreed, 15gallons may not be worth messing with it. It may be convenient as a dosing tank?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back