Anybody using a triton sump? looking for OP's

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 'm looking at the Triton 44 sump . Are You happy with it? Any mods necessary? I'm most interested if I can remove the drain cap with out weakening the structure. I'm interested in this model https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/triton44-sump-trigger-systems.html

My old Diy sump has started leaking for the 3rd time. Iv'e had enough. So shopping around & such.
I learned a custom sump I need it a certain dimension goes for around 9oo$ plus.
Anyway I can get this item for 500 & some change,probably close to 6 with shipping. Only thing is the skimmer section is just a tiny bit too narrow( Like less than a 1/4 inch ) for my older Reef octo 200. It will take some mod to the skimmer nothing drastic. This will go under a 75gl reef .Just wondering if anybody had one & had to mod a little. Thank's, Brian

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few observations from a Triton user.
  • The built in dosing location is in the pump chamber while Triton now recommends core 7 be dosed in the first chamber with the algae. I initially dosed in the pump chamber but moved my dosing to the algae chamber and did in fact see better results with my macro algae.
  • No sock holders. While I do understand Triton doesn't recommend socks to be run regularly (nor do I run them regularly), it's really nice to be able to put them in from time to time when cleaning the tank of detritus, algae or to just to polish the water to show the tank.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks CMO, I'm concerned about the drain section & installed drain pipes. I'm using a Synergy drain.& need to be able to get the siphon drain just right & I do run socks.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this thread late last night,thanks CMO for dropping in .Anybody ?

Last edited:

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing else I might add is that you'll likely have a very tough time getting any nitrate reading on a 75g tank with a 20 gallon fuge absent dosing. I'm running a ~10 gallon fuge on my 165g with full Triton and still have to dose nitrate to get any reading (and that's while skimming very dry with a slightly undersized skimmer). I also have to supplement Iodine and Manganese even with the relatively small fuge. But, that's just my experience and the tank is still somewhat new at around 10 months so dosing is still relatively low (~30ml per day currently).

Good luck.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again ! I didn't intend to go triton method. I want to replace this leaking sump I have now, it's got a nice big refugium & the price is in my budget .
the only thing is Iwill have to cut a little away from the skimmer base .to fit. Ya it's that close .

Last edited:

joe berkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my trigger triton 44 and do not miss filter socks. There is light spill into the skimmer compartment meaning more frequent cleaning of the skimmer.

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Trigger Triton 34. It's nicely made but it doesn't really work well for me. I don't really like the drain area. If you left off the lid with the drain pipes it would be a little better. It's really hard if not impossible to get into that area to clean. And forget about using filter socks if you wanted to. I know socks aren't really supposed to be used with that sump but sometimes it's nice to put one on for a bit after cleaning the tank etc.
I'm actually replacing mine soon.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dmsick Ya think the cap over the drain section can be removed or modified in some way to get into it? I'll take a cutter to it if I have to.
I run socks always have. that's a different subject as to why. I suppose with the drains going straight into refugium, the socks wouldn't be that important to me.
I just wish the skimmer section was just a 1/2 wider ! I'm not familiar with the Triton method .I just never had a sump where the ref was in the 1st section . Still haven't ordered it will be a 50/50 win or lose !
Also thanks for all the replies! Should I go for it ? LOL

Dmsick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dmsick Ya think the cap over the drain section can be removed or modified in some way to get into it? I'll take a cutter to it if I have to.
I run socks always have. that's a different subject as to why. I suppose with the drains going straight into refugium, the socks wouldn't be that important to me.
I just wish the skimmer section was just a 1/2 wider ! I'm not familiar with the Triton method .I just never had a sump where the ref was in the 1st section . Still haven't ordered it will be a 50/50 win or lose !
Also thanks for all the replies! Should I go for it ? LOL
It is removable but the section is walled off and it’s pretty small. I’m sure you could work around it.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent ! That's all I need . Thanks ! This is getting better& better.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 'm looking at the Triton 44 sump . Are You happy with it? Any mods necessary? I'm most interested if I can remove the drain cap with out weakening the structure. I'm interested in this model https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/triton44-sump-trigger-systems.html

My old Diy sump has started leaking for the 3rd time. Iv'e had enough. So shopping around & such.
I learned a custom sump I need it a certain dimension goes for around 9oo$ plus.
Anyway I can get this item for 500 & some change,probably close to 6 with shipping. Only thing is the skimmer section is just a tiny bit too narrow( Like less than a 1/4 inch ) for my older Reef octo 200. It will take some mod to the skimmer nothing drastic. This will go under a 75gl reef .Just wondering if anybody had one & had to mod a little. Thank's, Brian

If you do get it, I would wait until black friday or cyber monday. I got roughly 10-15% off my Trigger 39. Only a few weeks away to save quite a bit.

ChaseBurke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 34 have only had water flowing through it once to do a leak test. The drain section is really hard to get into. For the size of the sump i feel the skimmer area could have been a little bigger and is somewhat limiting. If you do purchase, dont forget to glue the black pipes going from the drain plate bulkhead down into the sump. mine was sucking air like crazy and it took me a while to figure out what was going on.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 34 have only had water flowing through it once to do a leak test. The drain section is really hard to get into. For the size of the sump i feel the skimmer area could have been a little bigger and is somewhat limiting. If you do purchase, dont forget to glue the black pipes going from the drain plate bulkhead down into the sump. mine was sucking air like crazy and it took me a while to figure out what was going on.

Completely agree. Even on the 39 the skimmer area is very limiting. You basically are forced into space saver skimmers because the external pumps won't fit, or the dimensions are the exact same as the sumps, lol.

I was actually looking into the Triton sumps just for more room, but without a sock option it was a deal breaker.

The Tideline series, at 48 inches, is a good option as well. A bit more expensive because they're only from retail stores. But they have two 7" socks instead of three 4" and a lot more room.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have synergy triton version design ok, get too much chaeto making it to main pump do design needs tweaking but layout of each zone is great

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all great insight ! Thanks for sharing . I have a custom sump lined up it's an inch longer, no big deal . However I get to install the walls where I want. But it's another 300 +$$ . That amount in my pocket " is " a big deal to me ! The big if is getting the skimmer to fit. The skinmmer section & foot print of the skimmer are the same ! :confused:

Last edited:

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey cracker, i ran into an issue where i wanted to run my water somewhere different on my trigger 36e sump. This choice took away my sock option and i wont go into why, but i run socks. So that said, i have access to have them 3D printed for cheap in black or blue. We mimicked the trigger style mount but added a support piece on it and then i used arylic glue to adhere it to the area i wanted it. The only issue.... well havent found one. the glue needs 3 days to dry before it can go in the tank, but i could send one out to you for cheap and this would give you the option again. Let me see if i can find a pic to DM you.

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Saint ! How are Ya Brother Man ! Hey a pic speaks a thousand words . Thanks !

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, all i have is the prototype photo at the moment. I will see if i can get a pic of it in place tonight.

43006803_2729729523919073_3768193319536951296_n.jpg

42982667_588206604930504_4269152201793863680_n.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back