Anyone dose hydrogen peroxide daily?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dose daily but at very LOW concentration
I'm not sure if it was asked before but what effect does dosing every day have. I am currently on the second week of dosing at 1 mg per 10 gallons and my tank and my rock looks great. Everything seems happy and the algae I had is just disappearing and the dinos are all but gone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not sure if it was asked before but what effect does dosing every day have. I am currently on the second week of dosing at 1 mg per 10 gallons and my tank and my rock looks great. Everything seems happy and the algae I had is just disappearing and the dinos are all but gone.
For me- Keeps the glass clean longer but Mainly. . . . . . A roadblock to future dino, or diatoms. Been 7 months since I had a bad case and tank has been great since

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty straight forward question. Just wondering if anyone uses hydrogen peroxide as part of their daily maintenance on reef tank. I just started last week dosing 1ml per 10 gallons and have noticed my tank stays a bit cleaner between my last weekly water change. Does anyone have experience, or knowledge of any pros/cons of continuing this daily?
Possibly a waste of time. Hydrogen peroxide in an aquarium decomposes in about an hour. There seems to be more myth than science to the 1 mL/gallon dose. The same applies to the Oxydator. Very high concentrations applied locally might have an effect.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a waste of time. Hydrogen peroxide in an aquarium decomposes in about an hour. There seems to be more myth than science to the 1 mL/gallon dose. The same applies to the Oxydator. Very high concentrations applied locally might have an effect.
Do you have experience of using Oxydators then?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can follow along with this thread as well. Two new users reporting a significant and measurable rise in ORP once installing Oxydators.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can follow along with this thread as well. Two new users reporting a significant and measurable rise in ORP once installing Oxydators.
Posted on my FB group from a guy who bought one recently.
"Follow up
It’s been running for a few days and the water looks crystal clear, the algae smell is gone and the brown sludge is receding. I’m very happy with it."

Just one of many reporting similar results but also reduction/ elimination of cyno, increased vitality and colour in fish,expansionof corals.

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing to a tank is very 'iffy' as far as real results. It certainly won't kill off Xenia.

As a liquid to dip (i.e. soak) in for 2 to 5 minutes, it does work. Soft corals hold up quite well, algae will die off over the next few days and may require a second soak. I'd highly recommend you place dipped/soaked corals in a saltwater holding tank. Over the next 24 to 48 hours I had lots of dead translucent algae come off. I haven't used it on lps or sps coral... yet!

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but in thinking about what an Ozone generator does, doesn't H2O2 act in a similar way? With an Ozone generator you take O2 and add an extra oxygen molecule and get O3. With peroxide you have H2O2, which already has the extra oxygen molecule. O3 and H2O2 both have an extra oxygen molecule and are unstable. So what happens in both cases the O3 gives up the extra oxygen molecule to become O2 and H2O2 gives up the extra oxygen molecule to become water, H2O. The now released oxygen molecule is attracted to organics and breaks them down into smaller particles. Hence the clearer water you get. The organic material is still there, but just in smaller pieces and the yellow tinted water now looks clear. The reaction of losing the extra oxygen molecule happens quickly. I would assume the Oxydator releases the extra oxygen molecule during the reaction with the catalyst and in a more controlled fashion. So the H2O2 lasts longer and you only have it fill it every few weeks. I've thought about Ozone, but to me the H2O2 is a much safer solution. A bottle costs 88 cents at Walmart and depending on how much you use, it costs a few dollars per month.

There are a number of articles on R2R on the benefits of using H2O2 to kill cyano (1ml/10 gallons dosed 2x daily, lights out) and it even works to stun red planaria flatworms (1ml/8 gallons). With the flatworms it's safer vs flatworm exit since it doesn't kill them but they float in the water and get collected in your filter sock and you can remove them before they release their toxins. You can also use the H2O2 in combination with FWE.

When I dose H2O2 I see an immediate drop in ORP, which is normal and then the ORP numbers climb back up. My H2O2 drip is also very close to my ORP probe. I drip the H2O2 slowly, my doser is calibrated to 4.7ml/min and I drip in front of my skimmer. My observation is that I get more and a darker skimmate when I do this. I have a 600 gallon combo setup (250 gallon tank , 130 gallon tank, 2 - 40 breeders and a 150+ gallon sump. I've dosed 1ml/10 gallons 2x/day, 12 hours apart for a month at a time with no ill effects.

As a side note, I have a 105 gallon SW mixing and storage container. If I see any growth in the storage tank, I will dump a 1/4 to 1/2 bottle of H2O2 into it and let the mixing pump mix the water for a day. Next day whatever was growing in there is gone. I do AWC from the storage tank, so I'm not worried about getting a high dose into my tanks. Plus the H2O2 breaks down within a day.

tjensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can help feed bacteria (oxygen using types) that feed on detritus as well as break detritus down to a degree itself. H2O2 is a fairly reactive chemical. gets used up pretty quickly. It can be used as an antiseptic as well.
I'm not second guessing you but can you reference any information on this? I would like to read it myself and get a more thorough understanding than what is in this thread. (I'm one of those reefers who reads white papers at night on algea H2S uptake) lol

Kobooi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying DON'T do this treatment if you have shrimp (Lysmata)? I've got a few peppermint shrimp in my tank...
I'm on day 14 of twice/day 1 ml/10g dosing to combat a combination of cyano and dino and some other unidentified algae. I have 3 lysmata (2 Amboinensis and 1 Debelius) and they're doing fine. I do make sure nothing is near when I dose it in front of the return outlet nozzle.
Rocks, sand and back glass are almost completely clean now. Will continue until everything is completely clean, at this rate will be in a week or so.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks dosing hydrogen peroxide manually or with devices should understand that it is impacting the speciation and possibly the concentration of trace elements, as well as organics.

The mantra that it is just breaking down to "pure O2" is misleading.

It reacts with all sorts of chemicals in a reef tank, changing their chemical form.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks dosing hydrogen peroxide manually or with devices should understand that it is impacting the speciation and possibly the concentration of trace elements, as well as organics.

The mantra that it is just breaking down to "pure O2" is misleading.

It reacts with all sorts of chemicals in a reef tank, changing their chemical form.

That may well be true. However, with using Oxydators in reef tanks for so long I have only witnessed my reefs thriving. Perhaps the good of the Oxydator surpasses the negative affects. A skimmer has both good and bad affects on what's in our water but the vast majority believe a tank with a skimmer is better for it on the whole.
What would be interesting to know IMO is exactly what chemicals/nutrients are changed by the addition of peroxide directly to the tank water and or using an Oxydator and how that impacts on our animals.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill add this regarding flat out dosing 3% into tank water: due to recent reviews in the fish disease forum, daily dosing to fight disease has taken off exponentially... much faster than it ever did for algae work. now we will have a gazillion reefs adding it to track just from cryptocarion battles alone, a totally new front in reasons to be dosing this powerful oxidizer right into a reef.

in 2011 we did it to mow acres of hair algae in people's nanos on file.

amazed the lysmata lived, happens occasionally.

The sages who manage fish disease, HF included, have spoken about it therefore dosing of the liquid/dangerous form is the #1 application method. oxydators are about 1%.

I cannot possibly enumerate the number of reef tanks dosing peroxide a long time, years, and not reporting anything bad. I truly estimate its one million worldwide, we have a massive data set to check for patterning. just those key terms on google gets so many mountains of application it'd take a long time to read it all.

people do appreciate knowing when its danger zone has passed. current best studies: 4 hours. nothing formal says that, its when orp meters seem to show rebalance and when our most sensitive animals have been introduced back safely, in massive numbers, and where deviating from that window into sooner times kills far more sensitives in the bulk reporting we get

there are so many posts now for it being done, the patterns evolving are worthy of study even if they don't conform to expectations on paper imo. I would not guess Humblefish to be an easily tricked fellow when it comes to disease management, people who run work threads get extremely quick feedback on advice/hones faster than average

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may well be true. However, with using Oxydators in reef tanks for so long I have only witnessed my reefs thriving. Perhaps the good of the Oxydator surpasses the negative affects. A skimmer has both good and bad affects on what's in our water but the vast majority believe a tank with a skimmer is better for it on the whole.
What would be interesting to know IMO is exactly what chemicals/nutrients are changed by the addition of peroxide directly to the tank water and or using an Oxydator and how that impacts on our animals.

I'm not claiming whether it is good or bad, just that it is more complicated than many assume, and so the benefits or detriments may be much more case sensitive than a generalized comment permits.

For example, I expect iron is made less bioavailable by oxidizing bioavailable ferrous iron to less bioavailable and less soluble ferric iron (its a known process employed in industry to precipitate iron from waste water, promoted by hydrogen peroxide manufacturers).

The same would apply to several other trace elements such as manganese.

Same comment applies to people dosing Lugols and attributing effects to iodine supplementation when the effects observed may be caused for reasons involving trace elements

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not claiming whether it is good or bad, just that it is more complicated than many assume, and so the benefits or detriments may be much more case sensitive than a generalized comment permits.

For example, I expect iron is made less bioavailable by oxidizing bioavailable ferrous iron to less bioavailable and less soluble ferric iron (its a known process employed in industry to precipitate iron from waste water, promoted by hydrogen peroxide manufacturers).

The same would apply to several other trace elements such as manganese.

Same comment applies to people dosing Lugols and attributing effects to iodine supplementation when the effects observed may be caused for reasons involving trace elements
Yes, I understand you make no claims either way. However as meer hobiest we have little more than our own experiences to go by. I have had triton tests done on my water while using Oxydators and nothing showed in a negative way with regards to iron,iodine, strontium and the like deficiency. I do dose all 3 along with manganese.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand you make no claims either way. However as meer hobiest we have little more than our own experiences to go by. I have had triton tests done on my water while using Oxydators and nothing showed in a negative way with regards to iron,iodine, strontium and the like deficiency. I do dose all 3 along with manganese.

Sounds good. Maybe dosing of things like iron are more importaant when using oxidizers of various sorts (including ozone, hydrogen peroxide, Lugols, etc.). :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
Back