Anyone else have terrible rusting issues with MP40wES wetsides?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Errattiq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, this is my second wet side to crap out this year. These units have only been installed for about a year since they were wet side replacements I purchased separately for the wES pump years ago just in case I had one fail. The casing on the magnet splits from internal rusting then eventually causes wet side lockup, separating the wet and dry sides. Wet side falls to the sand bed, and dry side detached from the tank glass. Is this just me or has anyone else had this issue? It is seriously making me wonder if my heavy metal issues and sudden loss of sps colonies I’ve had for years were a direct result of this thing. To make matters that much worse, I’d have to buy an entire wet side because the magnets alone aren’t available for replacement.
356305AD-2D15-4647-ACD9-4441982CA9AD.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s not just you. If you do a search here on R2R for “mp40 rust” you will find several threads.

Here is one example.

OP
OP
Errattiq

Errattiq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s wild! Do you know if the issue was resolved with the QD wet sides? I’ve never cleaned these things with vinegar
or acid either. I’ve always just brushed them clean with a toothbrush. Like I said it’s only about a year old if that, I’ve only disassembled them to fully clean them twice. I usually use a toothbrush to clean the propeller and cage area as necessary from month to month, but never a real full breakdown. I noticed I was having heavy metal issues and it never dawned on me to check this stupid thing!

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I've had a few over the years fail. 2 mp40s and 3 mp10s. I was told it was my fault for soaking them in vinegar to remove the coraline and algae. That the vinegar caused a chemical reaction with the magnet and causes it to fail.

OP
OP
Errattiq

Errattiq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny, because I’ve never used vinegar or any other acid on these things. What’s the answer for that? Seems Ecotech was trying to find an excuse not to have to replace the magnets in their units using vinegar as the scapegoat knowing most people use vinegar to clean their aquarium equipment. In addition, is there anything in the manual that states DO NOT USE VINEGAR to clean? I’m willing to bet it doesn’t. It’s frustrating because I run 4-40’s and 2-60wqd’s on my 350 gallon system. I think I’m about done with these pumps. I’m going to look into selling them when I upgrade to my next system. I was going to buy four more 60 qd’s but the cost associated and the risk isn’t worth it to me.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run one mp40 now. Had a gyre as well but honestly it didn't love up to the hype and I really hated it. the mp40 even with the magnet issue has still been the best pump I've ever used for from in my tanks.... that being said I just got the nero5. I absolutely love everything about the functionality and the profile of the unit. If they fixed the magnet issue I'd give them a 10/10 score and would buy more and ditch the mp40. But it honestly barely holds on with the magnet it came with.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting because I asked someone at Echotech if I could clean the wet sides in vinegar and they said "yes, no problem".

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to my 40qd wet side. It was in use for a couple years before it locked up after cleaning it one day. Just would not spin. Pulled it back apart and noticed the crack in the housing.

Gasman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one fail a few years ago. The side split open with rust coming out. Today I went to check all 6 spare wetsides that I have. 5 of them are failed. 1 more split open on the side, 4 more with rust the cracking plastic magnet covering. Some have seen vinegar, some have not. As far as the excuse that vinegar is the culprit....I don't accept that. These pumps spend their lives in saltwater. It seems clear the magnets are not sealed or become unsealed and liquid (any liquid) will contact the magnet and start the rust. Apparently they are unable or unwilling to seal the magnets better.

OP
OP
Errattiq

Errattiq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s atrocious that the pumps cost as much as they do and the magnets are the weak points in the system requiring complete wet side replacement... I love the performance of the pumps but for me the risk of them splitting and leaching metal in my tank again is simply too great. I’ve since replaced them all.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this thread in the general Reef Discussion forum:
Vortech wetside corrosion?

I did so because I'm genuinely curious as to whether this is a wide spread problem, or if it's just a small percentage of the Vortech's being made and sold in the hobby. I'm not trying to start fights or give anyone a black eye, but rather to gather information and see how many people are having these issues? The general Reef Discussion forum gets alot more traffic than the manufacturer forums so i'm hoping to get more responses.

Please feel free to chime in and comment on my thread and post your experiences.

Gasman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally thought I just had "a bad one" but, after seeing what my others are doing and checking around the internet, I see it's more widespread than just mine. I like all other aspects of this pump but, I cannot see continuing to purchase wetsides as an "expendable" to deal with this rust issue. I'm just about to start a build on a 215 and am hesitant to purchase anymore of these pumps until the rust issue is resolved.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is alot of merit to the theory that vinegar is a major source of the rust and corrosion on wet sides of Vortech's.
Read some of the other threads and see what you decide.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back