Anyone else Stressed Out Prepping Tank for Xmas Vacation?

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 mo old tank and I've been working up to this. A few days away here, a few there.

But honestly, coming up on 10 days away and I have a lot invested. Tank (Reefer 170) has a lot of frag acros, doing well but I test daily.

Have a reliable live in house sitter but they know jack about reef tank. They have done my few tasks before though.
Feed prepped food daily
Empty skimmer cup

I've been automating as much as possible.

Here's my prep
1. Neptune APEX, Dosing and Trident running
2. Little cups in freezer with food for each day
3. Autofeeder can adjust remote (Neptune)
4. Maintenance before leaving
- Water change
- ICP Test
- Dosing setup
- Trident waste empty
.. actually this would be a long list for me

I feel like I need to teach them how to clean the glass. Thoughts?

Last edited:

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS have the ability to come service your tank for roughly $75. They're doing maintenance for Dr offices, dentists, office bldgs anyway.

If you're that concerned... pay the service rate to have professional eyes on your tank about DAY 5 of your absence

They could discover smthg you're doing completely wrong and give you suggestions

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS have the ability to come service your tank for roughly $75. They're doing maintenance for Dr offices, dentists, office bldgs anyway...[snip]

Great advise thx. Unfortunately the LFS is 1.5 hrs away on a good day. I prob need to find another reefer nearby.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ll be fine, contolling feed portions, and skimmer emptying. Do you have an ato tank that may need refilling? I leave several gallons of rodi for ato refill near end of five or six days. I don’t worry about glass till i return.

tbscoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've got a house sitter I think you're good to go. I always just do a water change prior to leaving and have a reefing friend stop by every 2-3 days or so to feed the fish, run magnet over glass, and replenish the ATO container if needed. Just make sure your sitter knows where the top off water is. Don't want them adding tap or something else. Other than that sounds like you're more than prepared.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a couple of cheap wifi cameras so you can view tank & sump & be able to instruct house-sitter of possible needs.

A couple of years ago we were away at Christmas & had friend stop by to check on our tanks. 2 days into our trip I noticed skimmer cup was full. With the Apex I was able to shut off skimmer (from 1200 miles away) and tell my friend to empty skimmer cup. He was amazed when I watched him empty it and reassemble, I was able to restart skimmer as he watched.

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I think I will contact my LFS for an emergency referral in case of an issue. Will prob put a webcam on the tank. But if anyone is near Hood River, OR and would be interested in contact. Please PM me.

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God help you if it's a 14yr old girl who chews and POPS bubble gum and has an iPhone with unlimited data. You're screwed.... LOL LOL LOL

Haha, yeah nk. Nope 65 yr old ****** grandma cat sitter who is reliable. I'll make a reefer out of her when I am done.

Last edited:

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah nk. Nope 65 yr old ****** grandma cat sitter who is reliable. I'll make a reefer out of here when I am done.
You need an Apex electrode to give Granny a gentle ZAP to wake her up from her 2pm nap. Lol lol lol

20191209_224558.jpg

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I do think is an issue is if I get her to clean the glass and she knocks an ecotech off the side of the tank. Hard to get reattached without killing the pump. She could try to call me but...

I think I want to do one mod before I go. A manual switch inside the cabinet to switch into Feed Mode. Thinking can do this with a simple switch and FMM module.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you’re good to go. Leaving is definitely the most stressful part about this hobby.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one thing I do think is an issue is if I get her to clean the glass and she knocks an ecotech off the side of the tank. Hard to get reattached without killing the pump. She could try to call me but...

I think I want to do one mod before I go. A manual switch inside the cabinet to switch into Feed Mode. Thinking can do this with a simple switch and FMM module.
Maybe just tell her not to clean the glass?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.0%
Back