Anyone else Stressed Out Prepping Tank for Xmas Vacation?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to leave my tank for two whole months without any human interaction.
1) used a brute for ATO
2) had large jugs for dosing liquid
3) hooked up an auto feeder
4) did a final maintenance round on everything 3 days before leaving
Had no losses except for a favia and a torch that fell on the sand, along with a slight Aiptasia problem.
The growth was crazy on the corals.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel about 50% of the time and mostly the tank is unattended for the weeks im gone. This is what ive done to make myself feel better about being away and minimizing potential issues.

1. My return pump and MP40's are on battery backup, as long as I dont have a really long outage on a cold day I'm not worried.

2. Level sensor on skimmer to alert if its full and shut off, when im gone 10+ days i plumb the skimmer drain to a 2.5G jug.

3. make sure my 10G kalk reservoir is full

4. Make sure my ATO reservoir is full.

5. I dose AFR and kalk, 4L of AFR lasts forever.

6. I have 2 cameras on my tank, one pointed at the display the other to the sump, I leave one of the doors open and have a light in the sump I can turn on remotely for better visibility.

7. My life support systems are split across 2 EB832's each connected to a different 20A circuit, if one power bar fails or a GFCI trips i'll be okay.

8. I have a LLS in my return chamber and ATO

9. I have an avast plank autofeeder this runs 4x a day for 30 seconds whether im home or away, the fish dont get anything frozen when im gone. I do feed slightly heavier leading up to a longer trip.

10. I dont do any maintenance within 4-5 days of my trip other than emptying my skimmer and making sure everything is topped up.

11. I have a trident and alkatronic on the tank for testing, overkill but gives me some piece of mind and allows me adjust dosing as necessary.

12. Only make remote changes when in excellent cell service. I've tried to do things in the past on airplane wifi and have seen some wonky behavior.

12. 2 leak detectors on the floor

13. I have a LFS on call in case something comes up. Ive only had to call them once. I have a fairly complex setup and the LFS guy didnt quite understand how I have everything setup and it was challenging working with him over the phone. I'd like to improve here.

Its really hard to get permitting for a Generac where I live and Tesla wouldnt put in a powerwall without a solar system which would be super inefficient on my house. I'm going to look into powerwall alternatives.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I travel about 50% of the time and mostly the tank is unattended for the weeks im gone. This is what ive done to make myself feel better about being away and minimizing potential issues.

1. My return pump and MP40's are on battery backup, as long as I dont have a really long outage on a cold day I'm not worried.

2. Level sensor on skimmer to alert if its full and shut off, when im gone 10+ days i plumb the skimmer drain to a 2.5G jug.

3. make sure my 10G kalk reservoir is full

4. Make sure my ATO reservoir is full.

5. I dose AFR and kalk, 4L of AFR lasts forever.

6. I have 2 cameras on my tank, one pointed at the display the other to the sump, I leave one of the doors open and have a light in the sump I can turn on remotely for better visibility.

7. My life support systems are split across 2 EB832's each connected to a different 20A circuit, if one power bar fails or a GFCI trips i'll be okay.

8. I have a LLS in my return chamber and ATO

9. I have an avast plank autofeeder this runs 4x a day for 30 seconds whether im home or away, the fish dont get anything frozen when im gone. I do feed slightly heavier leading up to a longer trip.

10. I dont do any maintenance within 4-5 days of my trip other than emptying my skimmer and making sure everything is topped up.

11. I have a trident and alkatronic on the tank for testing, overkill but gives me some piece of mind and allows me adjust dosing as necessary.

12. Only make remote changes when in excellent cell service. I've tried to do things in the past on airplane wifi and have seen some wonky behavior.

12. 2 leak detectors on the floor

13. I have a LFS on call in case something comes up. Ive only had to call them once. I have a fairly complex setup and the LFS guy didnt quite understand how I have everything setup and it was challenging working with him over the phone. I'd like to improve here.

Its really hard to get permitting for a Generac where I live and Tesla wouldnt put in a powerwall without a solar system which would be super inefficient on my house. I'm going to look into powerwall alternatives.
How did you put your return pump on battery backup?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your prep is good except I would honestly not do the Autofeeder. Too many potential problems. I tried more than a few times and almost every time something went wrong, especially in the amounts that a small tank would need. Either doses nothing or too much or worse case dumps the entire contents into the tank. If you have food in the cups and someone feeding it is way more reliable.
My approach is to run 2 Eheim feeders at different times and get them working more than a week before you leave. This allows you to fine tune them and one is a backup. Suggest you work on the kind / size food you are using.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed feelings about web cam use. A guy I used to work with had them and when he and his wife went to Vegas they had an older friend house sit. They checked in before they left the motel one morning and the sitter was sleeping in a recliner. Came back to the room later and she was still sleeping.:thinking-face: See where this is going? Yep she died sitting in thier recliner so their vacation was ruined. I guess it's better than coming home to it days later as they had dogs in the house so hard telling how it may have ended but it took the fun out of vaca none the less.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you put your return pump on battery backup?
I run a vectra with a 24V booster to 2x200ah batteries, also where my MP40's are connected.

The vectra is limited to I think 50% (maybe 30% power) on battery backup but its enough to keep some water circulating from the sump....my overflow gets LOUD but well worth it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back