Scoot's IM 50 Lagoon

tbscoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I'd finally start a build (upgrade) thread and use it a means to both track my progress and keep up with things I'd like to do with the thank. I've been reefing for almost 4 years at and started out with Fluval 12 AIO, moved to a Biocube 32, and finally just upgraded to a IM 50 Lagoon AIO I found on FB. Last weekend was upgrade weekend and man I always forget how much work it is to move and/or upgrade tanks but so far I'm excited and happy with the results. I can't even imagine getting into the over 100 gallon range. That is just so much water it's mind boggling. Props to those who do it. Tank is settling in and everyone looks happy so far post transition.

Current Equipment:
IM 50 Lagoon AIO
AI Prime HD x 2 - Running BRS AB+. Had to hunt for an older model as I wanted them to both be WiFi compatible. Love the lights, but not a big fan of AI's recent move to Bluetooth only.
Jebao PP4 Wavemaker
CaribSea Reef Sand 40lb - So happy to get rid of the Bahamas Oolite.
2x4 Stand w/ Mag Mount Panels

Chamber 1: inTank Filter Floss Holder + MarinePure Spheres
Chamber 2: inTank Fuge Basket + MarinePure Spheres (eventually Cheato)
Chamber 3: Synrca Silent 2.0 Return Pump, Cobalt Neotherm 200W Heater, Tunze ATO
Chamber 4: Aquatic Life Skimmer - I've been impressed with this little $45 skimmer, but it is a little noisy even with modded airline.
Chamber 5: IM Media Basket running Filter Floss and Chemipure Blue

Current Occupants:
1 Blood Maroon Clown - Used to be two but I believe the other jumped and was eaten by a dog a few months back in the Biocube. The two never did really bond.
1 Yellowtail Blue Damsel
1 Cleaner Shrimp

Ongoing:
- Find a more permanent home for some of the coral littering the sand bed.
- Add more LR. Currently curing from tank that was broken down when purchased. I've found it particularly difficult to make new LR structures when upgrading once you've started growing colonies on your rocks. Curious how others make this transition. Right now the clown and damsel seemed pleased with having their own homes, but I'd like to get the rock work a little higher or possibly add a third island or bridge in the middle for little more depth. Definitely like my rock work more on the minimal side though.
- Move the montis off the frag rack so they don't grow to the glass again. Thinking about trying to mount them under the return pumps on the back wall.
- Shopping for some new tank occupants. Need to replace clean up crew and would like to add 1 or 2 more fish. Letting the tank settle for a few weeks first though.
- Thin the ever expanding Kenya tree forest.

Future Upgrades:
- Skimmer
- Get fuge running
- Add a screen top
- Considering the IM Media Reactor, but not sure if I really need it.
- Find a use for space under Chambers 1/2 and 4/5. Not sure why IM left all the dead space besides to make the first two chambers a little more accessible for most equipment. Considered moving some of the MarinePure down there but wasn't sure if there is enough water movement to prevent the area from becoming a detritus trap.

Thanks for joining me on my rambling journey! Any questions or feedback feel free to chime away. Tried to be detailed as I've always found these threads to be the best source of information when considering tanks, equipment, etc.

IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1180.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice.

I like the Tunze Skimmers.

OP
OP
tbscoot

tbscoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice.

I like the Tunze Skimmers.

Thanks. I've been going back and forth between the Tunze and NuvoSkim on the skimmer upgrade. I considered going HOB but don't think I left enough room behind tank and I'm not overly comfortable with the skimmer being out of water should collection cup overflow.

OP
OP
tbscoot

tbscoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice.
Welcome to the 50 lagoon club.

My skimmer just died this week. Tried them all.
I just ordered IM new DC nuvoskim, we will see how it performs. I really only use it for aeration anyway as these little skimmers suck.

I'll definitely watch for your feedback. Your 50 Lagoon is quite the build. Looks great!

OP
OP
tbscoot

tbscoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small tank update. Currently developing some cyano on the sandbed. Seems to always happen after I upgrade tanks between the stirred up detritus in the rocks and new "live" sand. Probably the last time I don't rinse new live sand. Quick vacuum and water change this weekend hopefully start clearing it up. Hoping to add a new fish this weekend depending on what the stores have in.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great, I’ve got the same one. I like the minimalist style of your scape, l should have used less rock myself or at least made it lower. I have the older IM mid sized skimmer and it’s pretty meh. Takes out some but not a huge amount. I’ll be interested to see the Chef’s report on the new dc model. Maybe it will be worth the upgrade. The empty spaces under the rear chambers became a detritus trap in my tank. I cleaned it out and placed media bags with marinepure gems and Seachem matrix under there. Trying for a denitrification zone. Following along to watch your progress.

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scooter... Great Looking Set Up... Love the Rock Work and how your placing your stuff.. Looks Really Good... Tip of the hat To Ya... :)

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great, I’ve got the same one. I like the minimalist style of your scape, l should have used less rock myself or at least made it lower. I have the older IM mid sized skimmer and it’s pretty meh. Takes out some but not a huge amount. I’ll be interested to see the Chef’s report on the new dc model. Maybe it will be worth the upgrade. The empty spaces under the rear chambers became a detritus trap in my tank. I cleaned it out and placed media bags with marinepure gems and Seachem matrix under there. Trying for a denitrification zone. Following along to watch your progress.

I put this nuvoskum in last night at 11PM.
It's 9AM.

Needs a Little dialing in, but wow. No micro bubbles and its already foam, just wet. Much quieter than the old version and the tunze so so.
Give this a couple weeks to tell.

20191213_091312.jpg

OP
OP
tbscoot

tbscoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this nuvoskum in last night at 11PM.
It's 9AM.

Needs a Little dialing in, but wow. No micro bubbles and its already foam, just wet. Much quieter than the old version and the tunze so so.
Give this a couple weeks to tell.

20191213_091312.jpg

That looks promising! Thanks for following up.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back