Anyone enjoy woodworking?

Eric Finney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, it all started when I built a stand for a 55g some years ago. Two expensive hobbies taking off together! The cedar table was from one slab cut in half and joined together. The slab was actually a wedding present given to me by a sawyer as a challenge to make something that will have meaning and last.
IMG_0088.JPG

Eric Finney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are perfect projects!!!
Is the black aquarium stand with foam inside?

It is actually just 3/4" plywood painted white with latex paint and sealed with 4 coats of polycrylic. I then went on to silicone all the seams on the bottom and corners to make it hold water and set off the leak detector (that I never even purchased haha).

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, it all started when I built a stand for a 55g some years ago. Two expensive hobbies taking off together! The cedar table was from one slab cut in half and joined together. The slab was actually a wedding present given to me by a sawyer as a challenge to make something that will have meaning and last.
IMG_0088.JPG
Awesome! That’s a great meaningful gift.

Was going to take some cross sections and maybe slab some of this cedar that I cut down at work but it was pretty hollowed out. Don’t see too many decent sized red cedars where I am. Mostly taller skinny ones.

AC8A1A23-7160-4BCF-892D-B196EF0756B6.jpeg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so happy I found this thread, woodworking is a big hobby of mine! Some of my more recent projects I actually took pictures of... as well as some of the stands I have made. I just turned the 125 into a reef and redid the stand/canopy. I will try to remember to take some pictures of it to share!

IMG_3614.JPG IMG_3635.JPG IMG_3239.JPG IMG_1522.JPG IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1422.JPG IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1248.JPG IMG_0939.JPG IMG_1006.JPG IMG_0582.JPG IMG_1498.JPG IMG_0082.JPG IMG_3423.JPG

Wow...that is some terrific work!

Eric Finney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! That’s a great meaningful gift.

Was going to take some cross sections and maybe slab some of this cedar that I cut down at work but it was pretty hollowed out. Don’t see too many decent sized red cedars where I am. Mostly taller skinny ones.

AC8A1A23-7160-4BCF-892D-B196EF0756B6.jpeg

That is a shame because that round is pretty unique. you could always epoxy fill the voids, it would just take a lot!

Canan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is actually just 3/4" plywood painted white with latex paint and sealed with 4 coats of polycrylic. I then went on to silicone all the seams on the bottom and corners to make it hold water and set off the leak detector (that I never even purchased haha).

Well, sounds to be a good plan. It should have also helped on isolating the sound either, didn't it?

Canan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a shame because that round is pretty unique. you could always epoxy fill the voids, it would just take a lot!
At the time I didn’t think about it but that’s a great idea. Hopefully I come across more like it.

Eric Finney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sounds to be a good plan. It should have also helped on isolating the sound either, didn't it?

It most certainly was a silent setup, especially with the bean animal overflow. It also was a complete moisture trap and I did not even think about installing fans until after it was setup, so that was a fun learning experience!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful work guys, that's one thing you don't see much in here Is wood grain and the deep finish. Lots of glass, acrylic and epoxy finishes and the show tanks catch most of the attention.
Stunning finish @jsker @don_chuwish. I used to work a lot with wood remodeling my homes and still enjoy making things, only my wife demands only CCC .... Carolina Crafted Customs (Richardson Bro.)
so my neighbors now enjoy my works :( But all is not Lost because One cannot buy this in a Beauteque! and you can hide alot with grout :D
bbq-grill.jpg

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure but I don't think your dust collector works:p
img_3880-jpg.674675

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful work guys, that's one thing you don't see much in here Is wood grain and the deep finish. Lots of glass, acrylic and epoxy finishes and the show tanks catch most of the attention.
Stunning finish @jsker @don_chuwish. I used to work a lot with wood remodeling my homes and still enjoy making things, only my wife demands only CCC .... Carolina Crafted Customs (Richardson Bro.)
so my neighbors now enjoy my works :( But all is not Lost because One cannot buy this in a Beauteque! and you can hide alot with grout :D
bbq-grill.jpg
Awesome!! Love a nice outside kitchen!

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the DIY and custom stands on here I figured a few if not a lot of you enjoy woodworking. When I have the time I like to make things. Built this today. A shelf for my bedroom.
image.jpeg
I'm trying a finish to look like aged barn wood on it. Never done it before but I like the look and it was easy to do. I figure if I don't like it I can just paint over it. It will darken as it dries.
image.jpeg
I would love to see some project you guys have done and maybe some ideas for future projects.

-Kevin
Those look great!

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little something I made today for my wife as a valentines gift. We decided a long time ago that we do not give each other gifts for holidays, birthdays etc. Instead we try to get what we want and do the things we want through the year. As some know we have had a very rough few months and I wanted to give her something so she knows I’m thinking about her and really appreciate everything she does, especially with me being hurt. It’s nothing special but something I think she will like. It’s made with scraps from the trim in the hallway we just redid mixed with some scraps of hardwood from repairing some of the floor in the hall. The colors are every color we have used paining our house (our first home together). Like I said it’s not much but I think it came out pretty cool.
93C1CF94-EDAE-4505-A3CC-2AACADAAF830.jpeg 29AB6DC2-4959-42B8-88F9-72713B69094D.jpeg 34BEF65F-83CC-47AA-A950-28EB3FA9B699.jpeg
And yes, I use my old tank stand for a work bench lol.

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look great!
Thank you!! I wasn’t sure how much I liked it and hesitated to hang it and it sat for about a year. But once hung and filled I am very happy with it! Here’s an updated picture I posted a little ways back.
D6618EC4-F2CD-49F9-BAFC-2BE27270830D.jpeg

Eric Finney

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little something I made today for my wife as a valentines gift. We decided a long time ago that we do not give each other gifts for holidays, birthdays etc. Instead we try to get what we want and do the things we want through the year. As some know we have had a very rough few months and I wanted to give her something so she knows I’m thinking about her and really appreciate everything she does, especially with me being hurt. It’s nothing special but something I think she will like. It’s made with scraps from the trim in the hallway we just redid mixed with some scraps of hardwood from repairing some of the floor in the hall. The colors are every color we have used paining our house (our first home together). Like I said it’s not much but I think it came out pretty cool.
93C1CF94-EDAE-4505-A3CC-2AACADAAF830.jpeg 29AB6DC2-4959-42B8-88F9-72713B69094D.jpeg 34BEF65F-83CC-47AA-A950-28EB3FA9B699.jpeg
And yes, I use my old tank stand for a work bench lol.

I really like this, very thoughtful and meaningful!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect lo-cal for the shelf and looks good, old and contemporary..hard to pull off..... Your going to score points with that mosaic...Roses not required

OP
OP
kschweer

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
perfect lo-cal for the shelf and looks good, old and contemporary..hard to pull off..... Your going to score points with that mosaic...Roses not required
She got home a little while ago and she loves it so I’m very happy. Just gotta find somewhere to hang it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back