Anyone enjoy woodworking?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised no one has said anything about your stand construction. It is not proper construction for an aquarium stand. The bolts that hold the wood together AND support the tank are in what is known as "sheer" and not good practice for items that will carry an enormous amount of weight like an aquarium stand. Will it fail? Maybe not? The tank should be supported by wood from the bottom of the tank to the floor. The bolts are used only to hold everything together and should not be used in any way for support.

You did not fully read my description. All the weight bearing top pieces are grooved into the 4X4" legs. They are grooved or dadooed in about 3/4" so the bolts are only there to hold the rails into the set back. Besides the 3/8" hot dipped galvanized carriage bolts (which go all the way through, it is also glued with waterproof glue. Most stands are built with multiple pieces of wood either screwed or bolted together to form strong legs. I "purposely" did not do that because I feel that type of tank construction is a mistake. The legs will at some time get wet. Water will get between those wood pieces and stay there and possibly rot. My idea was to purposely make this out of as few pieces of wood that I could which is why I opted for 4 X 4" legs and not sandwiched 2 X 4" which most people use. There is no place for water through capillary action to get into. The top is redwood because it doesn't warp like pine.
I know it looks like that but It is not. :D

The front rail where it looks like there is no support are 2- 2 X 4s doubled up. I didn't want to put any supports on the front rail because i will be using that space under the tank.
The tank support I built on my existing 100 gallon tank has been standing for 40 years with no problems.
My job as a commercial construction electrician in Manhattan for 40 years had me supporting very heavy loads some over 37,000lbs and I didn't drop one yet.
Hopefully I won't drop this tank because that would be very messy and my wife frowns on that sort of thing. But you may be right, time will tell. :confused:

PS I just read my description above and I didn't mention the 3/4" set back so i know why you thought that. :rolleyes:

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not fully read my description. All the weight bearing top pieces are grooved into the 4X4" legs. They are grooved or dadooed in about 3/4" so the bolts are only there to hold the rails into the set back. Besides the 3/8" hot dipped galvanized carriage bolts (which go all the way through, it is also glued with waterproof glue. Most stands are built with multiple pieces of wood either screwed or bolted together to form strong legs. I "purposely" did not do that because I feel that type of tank construction is a mistake. The legs will at some time get wet. Water will get between those wood pieces and stay there and possibly rot. My idea was to purposely make this out of as few pieces of wood that I could which is why I opted for 4 X 4" legs and not sandwiched 2 X 4" which most people use. There is no place for water through capillary action to get into. The top is redwood because it doesn't warp like pine.
I know it looks like that but It is not. :D

The front rail where it looks like there is no support are 2- 2 X 4s doubled up. I didn't want to put any supports on the front rail because i will be using that space under the tank.
The tank support I built on my existing 100 gallon tank has been standing for 40 years with no problems.
My job as a commercial construction electrician in Manhattan for 40 years had me supporting very heavy loads some over 37,000lbs and I didn't drop one yet.
Hopefully I won't drop this tank because that would be very messy and my wife frowns on that sort of thing. But you may be right, time will tell. :confused:

PS I just read my description above and I didn't mention the 3/4" set back so i know why you thought that. :rolleyes:

Awesome design then! Looks great too. Too bad redwood is expensive it is way better for wet locations than regular pine.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently offered the amazing sum of $400
I would have said " don't you mean 4000 dollars" BTW Outstanding work! and Patience!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome design then! Looks great too. Too bad redwood is expensive it is way better for wet locations than regular pine.

I know, they were $15.00 compared to pine which is about $4.00 each. :rolleyes:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the breakfast nook I built in my house 35 years ago. That oak is only 1/4" thick but on the edges I tripled it so it looks thick which saved a lot of money. Those aluminum slats are from the original
World Trade Center. I worked on the construction of that building in the 70s and we had a lot left over so I brought in a truck and took some that was going for scrap metal. I did much of my basement out of it.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any antique tool collectors Chisels Or Planes. I used to collect Stanley Sweetheart and Lie Nielson.
s-l225.jpg
upload_2018-5-2_7-30-16.jpeg
s-l300.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few of the things I've done.

for a Marine's Mom
xXr6Y94l.jpg

And for a coworkers daughter
SoQEQOhl.jpg

And for my wife - someplace to store her craft supplies
ErLImk2l.jpg
Wow the grain on the bin is eye catching. Great work

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any antique tool collectors Chisels Or Planes. I used to collect Stanley Sweetheart and Lie Nielson.
s-l225.jpg
upload_2018-5-2_7-30-16.jpeg
s-l300.jpg
I still use them from time to time. The Lie Nielson are nice planes, I also have a couple of Veritas planes that I like to use too

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Veritas what a great name for a plane! Latin meaning truth "true" planes!

Lee Valley sells them. If you have not been to Lee Valley's website, give someone your credit card. I really like the quality of their products and hardware.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lee Valley sells them. If you have not been to Lee Valley's website, give someone your credit card. I really like the quality of their products and hardware.
I just literally went hehehehehe to that walking diwn the stairs

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the antiques in the garage at the bosses. There is an old eooden one downstairs in her shop. 20180504_093802.jpg

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the antiques in the garage at the bosses. There is an old eooden one downstairs in her shop. 20180504_093802.jpg

I have a couple of draw planes that are about that old.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going all the way back to post #159 in February, I finally had some motivation to complete the farmhouse table. My youngest daughter (who has been back with us since graduating college last year, working locally and saving money) is moving out on her own. She asked me if she could have the table. She will get a couple of chairs for everyday use and the bench is back up seating.

Her theme is an old beach cottage, so I ended up doing a whitewash stain on the base with an Early American Pine top. She wanted it "used" looking. I actually like how it turned out which is rare for my finish work...lol.

I actually wept a little when she expressed interest in having a piece of her pops work in her first place. It was either that or because I was getting my empty nest back. :cool:

Anyway, thought I'd share the finished project. It doesn't compare with the work of others in this thread, but at least there's closure to this project!!!

20180617_130824.jpg

20180617_130846.jpg

20180617_130915.jpg

20180617_130934.jpg

20180617_131014.jpg

20180617_131028.jpg

20180617_131127.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back