Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who does would love my home. My grandfather is a master craftsman, thoroughly enjoys woodworking and even likes the reeftank hobby!! I will have to post photos of some of his work tomorrow for this eye candy thread.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who does would love my home. My grandfather is a master craftsman, thoroughly enjoys woodworking and even likes the reeftank hobby!! I will have to post photos of some of his work tomorrow for this eye candy thread.

That would be great!!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all 1/4 saw English white oak. A huge favorite of ours, oh and the floor is 3/4 acacia wood. That was a great project! (I will pay someone to lay down my next one, period!) the lamps, tables, mixer stand, clock, everything was built by him with help from me. 80-85% him though. Definitely makes the home very warm and welcoming. Everyone who comes over gets the tour and is shocked by how gorgeous it is. Then the resounding question, how much do you charge?? Haha [emoji23]

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all 1/4 saw English white oak. A huge favorite of ours, oh and the floor is 3/4 acacia wood. That was a great project! (I will pay someone to lay down my next one, period!) the lamps, tables, mixer stand, clock, everything was built by him with help from me. 80-85% him though. Definitely makes the home very warm and welcoming. Everyone who comes over gets the tour and is shocked by how gorgeous it is. Then the resounding question, how much do you charge?? Haha [emoji23]
Lol when ppl ask me "how much do you charge" my answer is usually you can't afford me!

Unless I'm about to do a tank build or need some extra money then I'll get ny hustle on...

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few of the things I've done.

for a Marine's Mom
xXr6Y94l.jpg

And for a coworkers daughter
SoQEQOhl.jpg

And for my wife - someplace to store her craft supplies
ErLImk2l.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few of the things I've done.

for a Marine's Mom
xXr6Y94l.jpg

And for a coworkers daughter
SoQEQOhl.jpg

And for my wife - someplace to store her craft supplies
ErLImk2l.jpg

Beautiful work!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol when ppl ask me "how much do you charge" my answer is usually you can't afford me!

Unless I'm about to do a tank build or need some extra money then I'll get ny hustle on...

I was recently offered the amazing sum of $400 for the pair of Apothecary Cabinets. Although it might have been a bit rude on my part, I couldn't help but laugh. The drawer hardware cost more than that! And then there was cutting 42 drawers worth of dovetails, the quilted maple veneer, etc. Yeah - they're not for sale!

I will happily make pretty much whatever I'm asked, but the first thing we talk is budget, because although I might be easy, I'm not cheap!

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s even better when you give them an actual quote for say some cabinetry work and there jaws hit the floor and eyes light up!! “But it’s just wood?!?” Don’t think they realize what labor really is for pieces. My grandfather is old school too, so everything is dovetailed, no guides or sliders, just waxed wood. Full length drawers, etc.

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently offered the amazing sum of $400 for the pair of Apothecary Cabinets. Although it might have been a bit rude on my part, I couldn't help but laugh. The drawer hardware cost more than that! And then there was cutting 42 drawers worth of dovetails, the quilted maple veneer, etc. Yeah - they're not for sale!

I will happily make pretty much whatever I'm asked, but the first thing we talk is budget, because although I might be easy, I'm not cheap!

Those apothecary drawers are stunning!! I’d say sorry for the lost month worth of just dovetailing but that’s an absolute masterpiece.

Cheap work ain’t good, and good work ain’t cheap! Best dang phrase for just about anything.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those apothecary drawers are stunning!! I’d say sorry for the lost month worth of just dovetailing but that’s an absolute masterpiece.

Cheap work ain’t good, and good work ain’t cheap! Best dang phrase for just about anything.

Thanks! All told, I was working on that project for about a year, from sitting at my drafting table figuring it all out on paper to the last coat of finish. All Old school construction techniques. All drawers are full length with hand waxed wood runners. I also consider myself to be fairly proficient at the mortise/tenon joint as well. I build not just for now, but for the future.

And FWIW - I can confidently state that I will NEVER take on a project with so many drawers!

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! All told, I was working on that project for about a year, from sitting at my drafting table figuring it all out on paper to the last coat of finish. All Old school construction techniques. All drawers are full length with hand waxed wood runners. I also consider myself to be fairly proficient at the mortise/tenon joint as well. I build not just for now, but for the future.

And FWIW - I can confidently state that I will NEVER take on a project with so many drawers!

I’ll have to post a photo of the two beds my grandfather built. His and my Murphy bed. Hands down the Murphy bed was the most challenging as he’d never done one before. Weighs somewhere in the 300-350lb range. Figuring out the trig and weights for struts was fun! He hates doing doors the most, they look “simple” but take so dang long!

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol same thing goes for tattoos good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good!

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Really more like $4000. Don't get insulted by the asker they have no clue what furniture costs to make. They are used to cheap imported chinese furniture sold in many cases for less than the cost of materials (dumped). It is sad but there is very little market anymore for benchmade custom furniture. Most people can't afford it.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new stand for my new 125 gallon tank for my new house. It is built out of redwood which doesn't warp and it takes water well. The thing is bolted together with 3/8" hot dipped galvanized American carriage bolts and nuts.
It will be behind a wall so it doesn't look like furniture and I built it simple because I didn't want two pieces of wood together where water will seep into.

I am surprised no one has said anything about your stand construction. It is not proper construction for an aquarium stand. The bolts that hold the wood together AND support the tank are in what is known as "sheer" and not good practice for items that will carry an enormous amount of weight like an aquarium stand. Will it fail? Maybe not? The tank should be supported by wood from the bottom of the tank to the floor. The bolts are used only to hold everything together and should not be used in any way for support.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back