Anyone ever keep a Tessellated Blenny?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about this fish. There is very little info on it, except that they utilize barnacles to hide in.

Definitely keep us updated. I am very interested in finding out more about this fish.
X2 that's a neat fish I've also never heard of!

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your troubles with this beautiful fish. Do you plan on acquiring another in the future? Have you tried a barnacle cluster yet. Just curious.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah we have brought in the clusters they were in when they were collected. I think my frillfin goby eats then once in my display. They eat well in qt.

I don't plan to try again.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool fish. Of the ones your buddy has seen what was the max size? Do you have an idea of what they eat? Carnivore, omnivore or herbivore?

Edit ... The Tessalated is a combtooth blenny. Not sure if this helps determine what it eats though

Last edited:
OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool fish. Of the ones your buddy has seen what was the max size? Do you have an idea of what they eat? Carnivore, omnivore or herbivore?

Edit ... The Tessalated is a combtooth blenny. Not sure if this helps determine what it eats though

They eat frozen food in QT. I would say carnivore. Biggest we have seen is 2" tops.

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, for some reason I thought that they were bigger than that like their Northern cousins. Interesting. Sounds like the perfect fish for a nano tank!

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@happyhourhero I have decided to try these again so collected two last week. They have been in the tank for 5 days now and are already warming up to me. One of them comes to my fingers when feeding flake food and neither are nervous when I walk in the room now. I acquired a rock with some green algae on it to see if they eat algae as well. Have not seen them touch the algae yet but they do eat flake food no problem. Will feed them some frozen later today.

Cell phone pics of one. He darkens overall and the spots seem to turn more red when he gets excited, feeding etc...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@happyhourhero I have decided to try these again so collected two last week. They have been in the tank for 5 days now and are already warming up to me. One of them comes to my fingers when feeding flake food and neither are nervous when I walk in the room now. I acquired a rock with some green algae on it to see if they eat algae as well. Have not seen them touch the algae yet but they do eat flake food no problem. Will feed them some frozen later today.

Cell phone pics of one. He darkens overall and the spots seem to turn more red when he gets excited, feeding etc...

1.jpg

2.jpg
Nice! Glad to see you and that you are giving them another go! Keep me updated on how they do! Prepare to be hit up consistently via PM for people wanting you to collect some for them lol.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1.jpg

2.jpg

That's an AWESOME fish!!!! Thank you for sharing! Never seen one before.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any new info on successfully keeping these? I'd be interested in adding one if they're doable.

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve kept two now for almost two months successfully. They are dedicated to their own tank. I would say they are like any other blenny. Very skittish and hide a lot at first but once settled in they are not shy. They are omnivores. I have been able to feed them all the normal marine foods including flake.

Overall neat fish to keep and observe.

I talked with the Florida fish and wildlife about possibly selling some and the answer was no. Even though they are not native to this area it is still not allowable to sell them.

So if anyone wants the location to try and go collect for yourselves if your close or a local just pm me and I’ll be happy to tell you.

OP
OP
happyhourhero

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve kept two now for almost two months successfully. They are dedicated to their own tank. I would say they are like any other blenny. Very skittish and hide a lot at first but once settled in they are not shy. They are omnivores. I have been able to feed them all the normal marine foods including flake.

Overall neat fish to keep and observe.

I talked with the Florida fish and wildlife about possibly selling some and the answer was no. Even though they are not native to this area it is still not allowable to sell them.

So if anyone wants the location to try and go collect for yourselves if your close or a local just pm me and I’ll be happy to tell you.
Have they maintained their colors and do they come out a lot now?

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow sorry I missed this post.

Yes they have maintained the colors. Maybe a tad less vibrant but still very close. Not sure if a food supplement would help to bring the vibrance back some.

They do come out a lot. Not shy at all. I'm thinking about converting my 25 lagoon to a gulf tank with a small colony of them. Maybe 6. I think that would be a cool and interesting display.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back