Anyone finding diff results from ICP over test kits??

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using aquaforest products for 6 months, reef salt, component 1,2,3, for trace minor/major, I know there’s an aquaforest ICP test but not available in the states so I’ve been using the ATI one from marine depot, I test my tank , write down my results, then fill the vials and send them, I do like how ATI test ur rodi water also,, only did this twice but always amazed how different the results for which I test for comes back,
Red Sea nitrate-5ppm= was 12ppm
Cal Salifert 450=was 490, not bad
Alk Hanna 7.2= was 6.86, low
Mag salifert 1350= was 1390 , not bad
Phos Hanna not ulr.06= was .02 , better
All other levels were in the green-good, except both times iodine was low, and barium, I was just wondering if others find different results??

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that surprising, really. Reagents degrade over time, not just after their expiration date, so even good test protocol isn't going to give you perfect numbers. In particular, low range nitrate test kits are notoriously unreliable, so pinpointing the exact number is almost impossible at home. Nevermind human error... :)

All that said, the numbers above aren't far enough off to functionally make much difference in what actions you should take. You get into much more trouble trying to chase particular numbers in this hobby. Knowing when things are stable / on upswing / decreasing is much more important.

Disclaimer; I've never run an ICP test myself but I'd trust the accuracy of those results more than my at home testing.

OP
OP
waxhawreefer

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that surprising, really. Reagents degrade over time, not just after their expiration date, so even good test protocol isn't going to give you perfect numbers. In particular, low range nitrate test kits are notoriously unreliable, so pinpointing the exact number is almost impossible at home. Nevermind human error... :)

All that said, the numbers above aren't far enough off to functionally make much difference in what actions you should take. You get into much more trouble trying to chase particular numbers in this hobby. Knowing when things are stable / on upswing / decreasing is much more important.

Disclaimer; I've never run an ICP test myself but I'd trust the accuracy of those results more than my at home testing.
Ur probably right, but what I really would like to know if anyone who does nothing but water changes, would have problems in the trace elements, I know they would have to use a two part if their demand was large but how quickly do those trace elements decrease??

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Madweazl results vs Triton. Salifert used for calcium and magnesium with Hanna ULR for PO4.

Test #1
Ca - 420 Triton - 456 (I wasn't testing to a full color change)
Mg - 1335 Triton - 1356 (same as above, I was marking the results when the color started to change)
PO4 - .049 Triton - 0 (dont ask me...)

Test #2
Ca - 435 Triton 460 (probably same as above)
Mg - 1350 Triton 1371 (probably same as above)
PO4 - .150 Triton .049 (dont ask me...)

Test #3
Ca - 450 Triton 464 (waited for full color change)
Mg - 1365 Triton 1364 (waited for full color change)
PO4 - .058 Triton .010 (dont ask me...)

Martin Kuhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be Interested in the ICP result of a Multi reference solution and how accurately it proves the given/known values.

A to me very well known LFS Dealer once did a Test on the accuracy of repeated testing.

1 water Sample spread 33/33/33% and ordernd a Triton Analysis just under 3 different names.

Results defintaley were Not Identical, but also Not too different from each other.
Anyhow ..... this just Shows us that the ultrahigh Precision that the Numbers undicate (eG several digitits accuracy Shown), they seem Not to be as exact.

OP
OP
waxhawreefer

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be Interested in the ICP result of a Multi reference solution and how accurately it proves the given/known values.

A to me very well known LFS Dealer once did a Test on the accuracy of repeated testing.

1 water Sample spread 33/33/33% and ordernd a Triton Analysis just under 3 different names.

Results defintaley were Not Identical, but also Not too different from each other.
Anyhow ..... this just Shows us that the ultrahigh Precision that the Numbers undicate (eG several digitits accuracy Shown), they seem Not to be as exact.

I watched YouTube video from dansreef guy from UK, he did three different tests from his water, ATI, Triton,Aquaforest, all three came back really different, he was disappointed!! But I like ATI, because they test nitrates and RODI water

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using aquaforest products for 6 months, reef salt, component 1,2,3, for trace minor/major, I know there’s an aquaforest ICP test but not available in the states so I’ve been using the ATI one from marine depot, I test my tank , write down my results, then fill the vials and send them, I do like how ATI test ur rodi water also,, only did this twice but always amazed how different the results for which I test for comes back,
All other levels were in the green-good, except both times iodine was low, and barium, I was just wondering if others find different results??

I think there's way too much subjectivity in color changing test kits like RS, Salifert etc.to trust them, at least I'm not able to spot the exact color change. For me they're directional/trend spotting at best.

I did 2 ATI tests and both times Alk was much lower than both Hanna (once almost by 1) and Aquaforest, appears to be the case with a few other people in other threads.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Triton test as a referendum for my own tests of (PO4 - Hanna Phosphorus test; calcium - Red Sea Pro test; Magnesium - red sea Pro test

I get some differences. Po4 mostly test higher with Hanna compared with Triton - last test 0.1 for Hanna and 0.05 for triton - this is the normal differences i have in all tests I done.

And I have a possible explanation for that. Normally its rather much of particles in my water – it’s a part of my way of running things because I want to have many filter feeders and this help to feed them.

Normally – particles should not interfere with colorimetric methods like the one Hanna use but it will interference with the result from Triton because the detect P atoms in the sample regardless of whether this P comes from dissolved PO4 or particles. To not have an interference and be able to calculate PO4 from the result – Triton take away the particles prior to the analyse, as I understand

When I say, “normally not interfere” I mean that it probably interferes but with normal samples in a not critical way. But we try to analyse very low concentrations and interference from particles will probably be relevant. Hence higher readings in Hanna compared with the filtered/centrifugated samples in the triton test.

Calcium shows normally 30 ppm lower for red sea Pro test but after I change my reading in order to allow it to be stable for 2-3 minutes – the results in the two methods nearly the same.

Magnesium – I will stop to analyse with Red Sea Pro – The results are like a Roller Coaster

Sincerely Lasse

Monti34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to think my triton test got lost in mail tracked it to a P.O. box then 4 days later still nothing when I login triton website.

OP
OP
waxhawreefer

waxhawreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched those videos from BRS macna, the Triton guy saying his machine is the ****, then the video with the guy who does allot of maintenance in tanks, which says when there’s a problem with Triton , they recommend a water change , so why waste ur money for the test because u can buy allot of salt for the price of one ICP , and change allot of water with that salt and get ur tank back in order!!???? Who knows, if possible I like to do another test with both ATI and Triton and then compare them to my results that day!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By comparison to hobby kit tests for major ions (calcium, magnesium, potassium), I'd believe Triton results first. Not as sure for other ICP companies.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows, if possible I like to do another test with both ATI and Triton and then compare them to my results that day!

Personally - I stick to one. The reason is that to compare two different labs with different way of handling the samples - you will do a comparison between pears and apples - and you do not have the facit. I do not read this figures as you are reading a complicated manual - I´m reading them with one eye at the figures - the other at the status of the aquarium. It is one tool in my maintains and probably not the most important either.
Sincerely Lasse

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when icp companies start cetrifuging our samples, which marinlabs doesnt unless needed, results will be repeatable. I need to buy a centrifuge now for my icp tests.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back