Anyone run 1” return?

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m running a 1” return on my system then realized that no company have 1” nozzle. i bought the eductor which is 1” but too short so im looking for the modular segment to extend it out but cant find anywhere that sell 1”. Max is 3/4.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, LocLine only goes to 3/4". I run 1" returns and have reduced them down with slip x npt reducers to use LocLine. I'm in the process of plumbing a new tank (with higher flow rate) which will go from npt bulkhead in the tank > threaded nipple > threaded 45 > threaded nipple > npt x npt coupler > male npt x spigot adapter > 1" VCA RFG nozzle. Should get me far enough off the back glass (like 6 segments of LocLine) and give a bend that I can adjust. Since it's all in the tank I won't silicone all threads so I can adjust the angle on the 45.

OP
OP
Bacon505

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can run 1” pvc but i like the modular segments for flexibility.

U

User1

View Badges
I run 1" but am using Sea Swirls.

VCA's nozzle is 1". You should be able to plumb that in easy enough I would think. You may need to use a elbow or two - or possibly a different fitting to get the direction you want but should be possible. That was going to be my choice anyway.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new build is running 1" returns to a pair of 3/4" loc-line Y-adapters. Each side has a broad fan tip and a random flow generator attachment from Vivid Creative Aquatics. With this I'm hoping to have plenty of surface agitation as well as turbulent flow in the water column.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new build is running 1" returns to a pair of 3/4" loc-line Y-adapters. Each side has a broad fan tip and a random flow generator attachment from Vivid Creative Aquatics. With this I'm hoping to have plenty of surface agitation as well as turbulent flow in the water column.

I have the same setup

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a 1” return on my system then realized that no company have 1” nozzle. i bought the eductor which is 1” but too short so im looking for the modular segment to extend it out but cant find anywhere that sell 1”. Max is 3/4.

I'm not sure if this'll help you but one of our sponsors here VCA (Vivid Creative Aquatics) carries different sizes of their Random Flow Generators. They're basically snap on nozzles to fit various sizes. Hope this helps.

MaddyP

'Til Reefdom Come...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! I drilled two holes in the back and installed 1" bulk heads. On the inside of the tank I used 45 deg street elbows. To create a little more of a spread out flow, I heated water to a boil and dropped in the pvc fitting for about a minute then used pliers to "squish" the female side more flat.

upload_2018-5-8_10-56-39.png

img_3992-jpg.511421

img_4031-jpg.518938

OP
OP
Bacon505

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The main reason i run 1” return is to increase turn over rate. I know i can reduced 1”-3/4 to run 3/4 loc line but kind of defeating the purpose.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason i run 1” return is to increase turn over rate. I know i can reduced 1”-3/4 to run 3/4 loc line but kind of defeating the purpose.

What kind of GPH are you talking about? Perhaps it's not defeating the purpose? My thought with larger diameter LocLine is if they're trying to support flow rates higher than can be achieved with 3/4", then the flow rate may be so high that it would potentially straighten out LocLine. If splitting is considered, I'm a proponent of splitting at the 1" diameter and then reducing each outlet of the split rather than going to a single 3/4" and then splitting it using something like the LocLine splitter.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This also depends on your return pump. I also have 1" PVC reduced to 3/4" Loc line. IMO you would only have a noticeable reduction if you are running maximum flow at maximum pressure for your PVC. Anything less and you will not have a noticeable reduction in volume. At least that makes sense to me, haha I could be completely wrong. I haven't noticed a significant reduction in flow/volume reducing to Loc line.

U

User1

View Badges
You don't need to reduce or use loc line. Noted in here already twice I think by a few people. VCA has a random flow generator nozzle in a 1" form factor. Plumb your return and use elbows to direct it has you see fit. Nozzle will fit on the end. Problem solved.

OP
OP
Bacon505

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep! I drilled two holes in the back and installed 1" bulk heads. On the inside of the tank I used 45 deg street elbows. To create a little more of a spread out flow, I heated water to a boil and dropped in the pvc fitting for about a minute then used pliers to "squish" the female side more flat.

upload_2018-5-8_10-56-39.png

img_3992-jpg.511421

img_4031-jpg.518938
Is that a ghost overflow you have on that tank?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, loc-line reduces overall flow but increases water velocity .... so it 'appears' like there is more flow, but there is not. Plopping 3/4" loc-line on a 1" return seems singularly pointless to me. I use the 1" RFG on my closed loop returns and have been able to get the proper angle by just using a pair of 1" black PVC 45 degree elbows.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what! how near?!
Very soon - we have been testing the new nozzle this week and we have a batch in QC right now. We should have the 1in RFG with 1in modular hose fitting version available for pre-order by this weekend and shipping sometime next week.

The 1in hose is already on our site

Keep an eye on our forum for the announcement
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/vivid-creative-aquatics.981/

Here are few teaser pics:
RFG-20180508_170453.jpg

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, loc-line reduces overall flow but increases water velocity .... so it 'appears' like there is more flow, but there is not. Plopping 3/4" loc-line on a 1" return seems singularly pointless to me. I use the 1" RFG on my closed loop returns and have been able to get the proper angle by just using a pair of 1" black PVC 45 degree elbows.

Wouldn't it be ideal to have the 1" return split into two 3/4" Loclines, without reducing first? For example, use a 1" x 3/4 x 3/4" wye (Y) fitting and then having a 3/4" Locline on each of the splits?

This way, I would assume, you're getting completely unrestricted exit flow because the splits equate to 1.5" in combined diameter. Not to mention, the Locline provides a better option to angle your return flow, which you may want to adjust the angles over time and isn't in a fixed position. Then snap on the 3/4" RFG's if you like.

I'm not a plumbing expert, just seems like a logical way to go.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back