Anyone run 1” return?

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very soon - we have been testing the new nozzle this week and we have a batch in QC right now. We should have the 1in RFG with 1in modular hose fitting version available for pre-order by this weekend and shipping sometime next week.

The 1in hose is already on our site

Keep an eye on our forum for the announcement
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/vivid-creative-aquatics.981/

Here are few teaser pics:
RFG-20180508_170453.jpg

So this will replicate the length of the Locline as well on standard tanks?

And it will be available in MPT, Slip, or FPT? Just asking because I have a standard reef ready Marineland 180 that I'm plumbing and don't know, off the top of my head, what connection it uses to go from the pipe to the Locline split. If I remember correctly, I think it's a 1" MPT modular that would be needed for the 1" FPT pipe connection.

This would most definitely be an ideal solution for me if it's a direct replacement without the need for modifications.

Love your products by the way. :)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a 1"x3/4x3/4 is a reasonable way to go - though two 3/4" pipes are not the flow equivalent of one 1 1-2", not by a long shot. If memory serves, dual 3/4" are somewhere between 1" and 1 1/4". Easy enough to do the math.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be ideal to have the 1" return split into two 3/4" Loclines, without reducing first? For example, use a 1" x 3/4 x 3/4" wye (Y) fitting and then having a 3/4" Locline on each of the splits?

This way, I would assume, you're getting completely unrestricted exit flow because the splits equate to 1.5" in combined diameter. Not to mention, the Locline provides a better option to angle your return flow, which you may want to adjust the angles over time and isn't in a fixed position. Then snap on the 3/4" RFG's if you like.

I'm not a plumbing expert, just seems like a logical way to go.
That's not a bad idea - as long as you can provide enough flow to the dual 3/4in RFGs. We have a part we sourced out for just that

it's a 1in modular hose to 3/4in Loc-line compatible Y fitting
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/y-reducer-1in-to-3-4in-loc-line-adapter/
you can snap genuine loc-loc line to the 3.4in ends.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And it will be available in MPT, Slip, or FPT? Just asking because I have a standard reef ready Marineland 180 that I'm plumbing and don't know, off the top of my head, what connection it uses to go from the pipe to the Locline split. If I remember correctly, I think it's a 1" MPT modular that would be needed for the 1" FPT pipe connection.

This would most definitely be an ideal solution for me if it's a direct replacement without the need for modifications.

For the 1in RFG we have the standard 1in Slip-fit RFG designed to fit a standard schl40 PVC pipe.

The new one is a 1in nozzle that fits the 1in modular hose and the 1in MPT. The 1in MPT will thread into a standard in slip/thread or thread/thread bulkhead.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't it be ideal to have the 1" return split into two 3/4" Loclines, without reducing first? For example, use a 1" x 3/4 x 3/4" wye (Y) fitting and then having a 3/4" Locline on each of the splits?

This way, I would assume, you're getting completely unrestricted exit flow because the splits equate to 1.5" in combined diameter. Not to mention, the Locline provides a better option to angle your return flow, which you may want to adjust the angles over time and isn't in a fixed position. Then snap on the 3/4" RFG's if you like.

I'm not a plumbing expert, just seems like a logical way to go.

This is how my new build is going to be setup. I'll be running a a 3/4" VCE RFG and 2" fan tip on both of the returns . I'll post a pic of it tonight once I get the bulkheads back in (painted the back of the tank last night).

That's not a bad idea - as long as you can provide enough flow to the dual 3/4in RFGs. We have a part we sourced out for just that

I will be running a Jebao DCT-8000 on a 75G. A bit of overkill, but I should be able to run it at 50% and provide ample turnover rate as well as pressure for two 3/4 RFG's and two 2" fan tip returns coming off a pair of 1" lines reduced to two 3/4 wye locline adapters. In a few days or so I'll leak testing my build, as well as doing the initial dial-in on the pump output and over-flow valves, so I'll be sure to test to see if they perform well in this configuration.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a 1” return to a Y splitted 3/4?
We offer a 1in to 3/4in Y spliter . it pairs up with a 1in modular hose that w also offer and is compatible with genuine 3/4in Loc-line.
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/y-reducer-1in-to-3-4in-loc-line-adapter/
MH10075Y_2221-400x400.jpg

Here is how I am setting up the returns initially. I'm sure that i'll be making some changes after it's up and running in a couple weeks.
20180509_200045.jpg

this is an interesting setup - I would be interested to see how this works out. My only concern would be that water will tend to take the path of least resistance. This may be the flare nozzle path. Maybe reduce the flare nozzle side to 1/2in and then add a 1/2in flare. This may balance things out and allow more flow to pass through theRFG nozzle.

Also - you may want to add a single segment of 3/4in loc-line between the RFG nozzle and the Y. You get the best results from the nozzle when the RFG is straight to the last section of loc-line. This is because of the way the RFG nozzle works - if the flow inters the nozzle at to strong of an an angle, if can you put more pressure on one side of the nozzle. this may cause a reduction in the randomness of the flow exiting the nozzle.

either way - very interesting setup.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is an interesting setup - I would be interested to see how this works out. My only concern would be that water will tend to take the path of least resistance. This may be the flare nozzle path. Maybe reduce the flare nozzle side to 1/2in and then add a 1/2in flare. This may balance things out and allow more flow to pass through theRFG nozzle.

Also - you may want to add a single segment of 3/4in loc-line between the RFG nozzle and the Y. You get the best results from the nozzle when the RFG is straight to the last section of loc-line. This is because of the way the RFG nozzle works - if the flow inters the nozzle at to strong of an an angle, if can you put more pressure on one side of the nozzle. this may cause a reduction in the randomness of the flow exiting the nozzle.

either way - very interesting setup.

Thanks for the input. I can certainly go with a smaller flare nozzle and add a single segment in if it looks like the RFG is not performing as well as it should. I went with this configuration because I wanted plenty of surface agitation, but also wanted the turbulent flow for the mid-level of the water column. Once I have it all up and running I'll let you know how they work in this type of setup.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just wanted to let you know that the new 1in RFG Nozzle with 1in modular hose fitting now available
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/s...ator-with-1in-modular-hose-fitting-rfgs100ll/
RFGS100LLG_2286.jpg
RFGS100LLG_2271.jpg

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the tank up and leak tested. Unfortunately the RFG nozzles did not work well at all with the wye adapters. The only way I could get them to run correctly was to either run the pump at near 100% or reduce output and close off one return. I didn't realize that I had already put a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer on the second line on each side. And I tried two different tips as well the 2.5" and the 1" fan tip and neither one made any difference. So I had to pull the wye adapters out and run just the RFG nozzles on each side. I was able to dial it in with both returns having a RGD nozzle with the pump (EFlux 6010) set at about 65%. They really do put work well and with some adjustments, they provided plenty of surface agitation and flow in the tank as well.

My only complaint with the RFG nozzles is it is very easy to knock them off the Loc-line tubes. They don't click on as firmly as the fan tips or segment pieces do. I'm thinking this is either due to them being 3d printed instead of molded, and the plastic being more brittle. As a result any tighter a fit and they might crack when being installed.

Pics of them in the tank running are in my build thread.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/started-my-75g-build-finally.386159/page-2#post-4781420

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the tank up and leak tested. Unfortunately the RFG nozzles did not work well at all with the wye adapters. The only way I could get them to run correctly was to either run the pump at near 100% or reduce output and close off one return. I didn't realize that I had already put a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer on the second line on each side. And I tried two different tips as well the 2.5" and the 1" fan tip and neither one made any difference. So I had to pull the wye adapters out and run just the RFG nozzles on each side. I was able to dial it in with both returns having a RGD nozzle with the pump (EFlux 6010) set at about 65%. They really do put work well and with some adjustments, they provided plenty of surface agitation and flow in the tank as well.

Pics of them in the tank running are in my build thread.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/started-my-75g-build-finally.386159/page-2#post-4781420
How are you liking that eflux? I am running the ic pro lights and wave pumps

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far it's great. Very powerful little pump, and makes just a hint of noise compared to the Jebao. That think sounded like a jacuzzi pump... o_O I was surprised that the collar for the Jebao fit the EFlux so I didn't have to swap that out.

My only complaint I have is the absence of a feed mode on the pump controller itself. I'm sure if I got their Loop controller it would have that feature, but it's not a total loss. I want to look at the Loop controller manifold system, I have a feeling the Jebao PP series wake makers might connect to it, seeing as they are the exact same design. So either they ripped Current's design or they are making them for Current and come with an actual warranty. Kinda like the Simplicity DC pumps being the DCT series pumps but actually have a USA warranty on them.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far it's great. Very powerful little pump, and makes just a hint of noise compared to the Jebao. That think sounded like a jacuzzi pump... o_O I was surprised that the collar for the Jebao fit the EFlux so I didn't have to swap that out.

My only complaint I have is the absence of a feed mode on the pump controller itself. I'm sure if I got their Loop controller it would have that feature, but it's not a total loss. I want to look at the Loop controller manifold system, I have a feeling the Jebao PP series wake makers might connect to it, seeing as they are the exact same design. So either they ripped Current's design or they are making them for Current and come with an actual warranty. Kinda like the Simplicity DC pumps being the DCT series pumps but actually have a USA warranty on them.
Thanks.

Yes if you have the loop controller then you have free mode. I have the loop controller, ic pro lights and 2 1050 gph eflux wave pumps. I am running a jebao as my return and it works great and is super quiet

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NP. It was more than I wanted to pay for a pump right now, but I needed it and it's only 80 more than the DCT8k.

It seems that is how the Jebao pumps are. They either work great out of the box for years, or like mine have issues right from the start. Depending on how you have it plumbed adding the EFlux return pump to your system would probably be a snap. For me I removed the collar on the jebao and it screwed right up to the EFlux and was able to swap them out in only a few seconds. It literally took less time to swap than it took my tank to drain down to the bottom of the weir...

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad you got it figured out. I was a little concerned about the Y setup since flow tends to take the path of least resistance, and the flare nozzles provides less resistance than the RFG.

would love to see a video of the tank running the RFGs. Be sure ot post a pic of you tank in our Random Flow Generator Show Off thread. Link is below in the signature

My only complaint with the RFG nozzles is it is very easy to knock them off the Loc-line tubes. They don't click on as firmly as the fan tips or segment pieces do. I'm thinking this is either due to them being 3d printed instead of molded, and the plastic being more brittle. As a result any tighter a fit and they might crack when being installed.

That's a fair critique - the RFGs are designed to be easy to pop-on and pop-off without the need for a tool or set of pliers. For some, they like the the nozzle to fit more tight, while others appreciate how easy they are to remove should they need to clean them. We have tried to strike a balance between the to sides with the design for the connector.

With that said, If you have any trouble with them, please do not hesitate to reach out to us - we'll stand behind the RFG 100%

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. The RFG nozzles do stay on even when I cranked the flow up to 100%. Provided I don't have one of my bulldozer (turbo) snails get up there and pop one off or nudge it off angle, they do seem to stay where they are pointed.

I do like how a pair of them on a 75g definitely keeps the entire water column in motion. I was impressed that even w/o the wave makers installed the RFG's kept the vast majority of lighter particles in suspension where they would get lifted up to the weir for removal. I know the flow characteristics will change once it has sand, rock, and sw instead of just fresh. There were only two small areas in the back corners of the tank where the heavier stuff settled. To test the difference in the tank flow I tried the other two fan tips I had and neither type provided the same result. When I put the other tips on the tank developed two large dead spots on the sides of the tank. These were relatively small with the RFG's and I wager with some adjustments to nozzle direction and flow output this could be all but eliminated.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it would be super easy. I actually have a short piece of 1" vinyl from pump to return

I would love to try one of the 1" RFGs but my 1" return is over the back and I don't think they make 1" loc line sections unless I'm mistaken...

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 195 71.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back