Anyone wear long gloves?

Do you wear gloves for placing your hands in your aquarium?

• Yes

Votes: 74 49.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 50.7%

• Total voters

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to wear long gloves while working in my reef tank to help avoid contamination. With the glove it was very cumbersome and I ended up breaking coral. Now I scrub my arms with hot water and no soak before i put them in the tank.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not often that I'm shoulder deep in the display, but when I am I do as well to avoid contamination. I used to wear the long rubber gloves, but I found them to be clumsy and cause me to break corals. Now I wear shoulder length food service gloves. I put regular rubber gloves over to top for dexterity.

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do,up to elbow level gloves when I arrange live rock or corals. But, sometimes when I have to go clean glass or go all to the bottom, I wash arms and hand then go in with no gloves.

erdrick80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never see the staff at my LFS wear gloves and they are constantly working in their tanks. ;)

Haha! That is so true! sometimes after I see them feeding they rinse their hands in the reef tanks. But, then again their setup sumps/filtration and water volume is way past average Joe tanks.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to wear long gloves while working in my reef tank to help avoid contamination. With the glove it was very cumbersome and I ended up breaking coral. Now I scrub my arms with hot water and no soak before i put them in the tank.

That is what I have been doing, absolutely no soap!

U

User1

View Badges
I do. Shoulder length.

When I feed or do not need to reach too far in I'll wear nitrile hand gloves. The same ones I use when working on my car (new of course, they are throw away :) ).

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no gloves for me unless handling live rock. When we do installs and are handling a lot of live rock or are breaking down a tank its gloves for sure. Never know what's hiding in there. Other then that I wash my hands and arms with Dawn, and rinse really really well until I can't smell anything.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to wear the long shoulder length rubber gloves but they were very cumbersome to use in the tank... the sleeves have since been cut off and they have been repurposed as my smoker/BBQ gloves. I may get a box of the thinner material disposable veterinary gloves to see if there is any improvement over the rubber gloves in dexterity.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • D/C

Votes: 59 63.4%
  • Both

Votes: 19 20.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 13 14.0%
Back