Anyone with Kessils and Radions?

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have 4 Radion 30’s over my 6’ tank. Since I’m going deeper and I miss the shimmer (but not growth, PAR, or longevity) of my kessil lights, I was thinking about adding 2, 500’s or 360’s between the Radions at 50-60%.

Is anyone running this? Mind posting a video of the shimmer/what your tank water looks like?

thanks

reefkeep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have 4 Radion 30’s over my 6’ tank. Since I’m going deeper and I miss the shimmer (but not growth, PAR, or longevity) of my kessil lights, I was thinking about adding 2, 500’s or 360’s between the Radions at 50-60%.

Is anyone running this? Mind posting a video of the shimmer/what your tank water looks like?

thanks
Following, interestEd in the same

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keen to hear your impressions and of course pics :)
A picture or video won’t show a lot. I’ve tried a 55deg reflector and today the ultra narrow reflector is showing up so I’ll try that. As of now, it’s being completely outshone by the Radion XR30’s on either side of it. Even at 100% and 55degrees there is no shimmer. I think I may have needed the 500x and I won’t be buying 3 of those. I have other things to waste $3k on

I’m working on tweaking it so the last hour of my light cycle is more Kessil than Radion so I get some late evening shimmer. I may also use the reds as moonlights too.
Once everything is really setup and settled I’ll take PAR reading. I’m sure it’s adding PAR but I was already bleaching LPS on the sand bed so I’m not sure what the point would be.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture or video won’t show a lot. I’ve tried a 55deg reflector and today the ultra narrow reflector is showing up so I’ll try that. As of now, it’s being completely outshone by the Radion XR30’s on either side of it. Even at 100% and 55degrees there is no shimmer. I think I may have needed the 500x and I won’t be buying 3 of those. I have other things to waste $3k on

I’m working on tweaking it so the last hour of my light cycle is more Kessil than Radion so I get some late evening shimmer. I may also use the reds as moonlights too.
Once everything is really setup and settled I’ll take PAR reading. I’m sure it’s adding PAR but I was already bleaching LPS on the sand bed so I’m not sure what the point would be.
LOL on your $3K comment….indeed! Now I was someone that did spend money on the Kessil A500’s so I’m kinda of curious if I can put them to use with the Radion XR30’s. Or setting that configuration up is a sheer waste of time

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL on your $3K comment….indeed! Now I was someone that did spend money on the Kessil A500’s so I’m kinda of curious if I can put them to use with the Radion XR30’s. Or setting that configuration up is a sheer waste of time
I have the 35deg lens. I’m not seeing a lot coming through over the Radions still. I will probably use 3 of them, have them be the “dusk” lights, and aim them at things that want more light energy (like Clams or a submersible fusion reactor). I really wanted to run the 500x’s in between my Radions but it seems silly. After seeing this test with a 360x, I’m glad I didn’t.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have to say that the Radion + kessil combination is awesome and gaining popularity. This is a picture of a customer tank that purchased the Kessil to RMS mounting kit.
20220505_144359.jpg

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

thanks
I moved 2 of my kessil a360xs to my frag tank and replaced them with radion g5 xr30s. The T5s are still hanging but i haven't used them in months. I still notice enough shimmer with just the single kessil. It is concentrated more towards the middle but it's not distracting. Seems like it's more noticeable in the video than in person. I'll see if posting a video works.

Attachments

• 20230301_203513.mp4
    10.5 MB
OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick video (hopefully). There is some shimmer coming thru. This is my temporary test tank (I had a leak) so excuse the mess. Note the 35deg lens. My Radions are not at full power yet.

edit: video didn’t work. It’s a little shimmery. I think at 35 degrees I’ll have to be thoughtful about aiming it but I like it enough to run with 3 of them. I will set them to stay ramped up a bit in the evening to get my shimmer.

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Run the Kessil's a little whiter than the Radions and they'll poke through more. Also, there's no difference in appearance or color between the 500x and 360x, it's just raw power.
One more note, there are no rules with mixing LED styles/manufacturers, etc...use what you like to get the results you want, not what someone else says you should use because they have brand loyalty. This whole Chevy vs Ford argument is Childs play.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the Kessil's a little whiter than the Radions and they'll poke through more. Also, there's no difference in appearance or color between the 500x and 360x, it's just raw power.
One more note, there are no rules with mixing LED styles/manufacturers, etc...use what you like to get the results you want, not what someone else says you should use because they have brand loyalty. This whole Chevy vs Ford argument is Childs play.
Agree. I think aggregating reviews about longevity, customer service, and durability are still important but what works for one may not work another…discounting aesthetics too. I can’t swing the 500x’s because ultimately this is vanity but that was my first want. The Radions grow coral very well for me. I just miss the shimmer (and precisely 0 else about the kessils).

Rovert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about adding A360's to my Photons to get that 'punch' for my clams, or perhaps selling the photons in favor of the Kessils. Kinda on the fence about the strategy. My tank is 6'x2'x2', more or less. Do you think I'd need two or three to make it work?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been thinking about adding A360's to my Photons to get that 'punch' for my clams, or perhaps selling the photons in favor of the Kessils. Kinda on the fence about the strategy. My tank is 6'x2'x2', more or less. Do you think I'd need two or three to make it work?
It depends on what else you're trying to light? Mixed reef, yes it will work and I would use 3 minimum. Acropora dominated tanks will require more fixtures, regardless of LED style. I like combining styles/types when mixing LEDs, I prefer using bars with Kessil's and Quanta Pro would be my choice. There's no right or wrong here, as every single LED fixture on the market will grow coral just fine, it's a matter of how many fixtures and how you use them. The great thing about Kessil's is the ability to mount them at different heights, using their lenses.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you can save money and use a COB light in the middle for shimmer.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anecdotal: I ran 4 Kessils overs a shallow reef- 6x2x1.5” deep and got nothing. I liked the look but they didn’t grow anything for me. PAR numbers were just ok. Those lights don’t do well being run at 100% for 8 hours a day. Even with constant cleaning. But the look is so nice…that’s why I’m adding a few back in between the Radions. Starting with G5 the Radions create more of a blanket/T5 look. It’s effective. It works. PAR is amazing. But if you like the energy of Sun rays dancing in the water, then you may find them a bit boring.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anecdotal: I ran 4 Kessils overs a shallow reef- 6x2x1.5” deep and got nothing. I liked the look but they didn’t grow anything for me. PAR numbers were just ok. Those lights don’t do well being run at 100% for 8 hours a day. Even with constant cleaning. But the look is so nice…that’s why I’m adding a few back in between the Radions. Starting with G5 the Radions create more of a blanket/T5 look. It’s effective. It works. PAR is amazing. But if you like the energy of Sun rays dancing in the water, then you may find them a bit boring.
They grew sps/acropora for me just fine. Look at my build thread and you'll see pics of my previous setup. I wasn't hitting 100% intensity either, I think the max was 92-95% during peak hours?

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They grew sps/acropora for me just fine. Look at my build thread and you'll see pics of my previous setup. I wasn't hitting 100% intensity either, I think the max was 92-95% during peak hours?
That’s awesome. I’m glad they worked for you. They didn’t for me. I changed nothing but the lights and boom! Acropora colonies the size of my head. It’s a funny hobby how what works for some doesn’t work for others!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back