Apex and Ecotech Battery backup Question

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to keep the main unit (brain) going during a power outage but the BBU would have to be 12VDC and you would have to have a cable with the right plugs on each end to connect the Brain to the battery. The Apex brain has a port for 12v power source in case the power goes out you could still get emails, texts, and other alerts but only if your Apex brain and internet router are on a BBU. You could also connect your internet router to the Ecotech battery by cable with the right plugs. When the power goes out the Energy Bar loses power and the brain senses this and sends alerts through the router whether your brain is connected to the internet wirelessly or by ethernet. So the answer to your question is yes as long as the BBU source is 12VDC. If you couldn't find the right cables you could make your own, Amazon has tons of DC plugs. The Icecap battery works also and comes with a bunch of cables and plug adapters to fit several different DC sockets. This is the route I'm going with my power crisis scenario. Eventually I'll have 2 Icecap battery backups, one that doubles for Apex brain and internet router, and one for a little DC powerhead pointed at the surface of the water in the DT to oxygenate when the power goes out.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fabutahoun the answer to the second part of your question, can the Ecotech BBU keep a WAV running during a power outage. You would have to power the WAV through an Energy Bar or 1link module and it can be done but it would take a lot of battery life. A Vortech would work better.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech battery backup is 12 VDC. @powers2001 gave a nice summary of how you might use it with your Apex. Although powering a WAV with it might not be technically impossible it would be very difficult, esp as the 1Link which controls the WAV calls for a 24 VDC power source.

OP
OP
fabutahoun

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @powers2001 and @rkpetersen for your reply. The IceCap looks like a better solution it works on 12v-24v different type of plugs, also got a Daisy Chain Link Cable so I can connect the 1LINK to power bar and the battery at the same time. looks like I'll get 2 of the IceCap to connect Apex Base Unit , WAV and Return Pump and router .

I can DIY the plugs and cables and use a DC 12v to 24v Step up Converter with the ecotech BBU, but with IceCap its ready out of the box.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back