Apex Ending Text Messaging Support

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just received this pop up stating that Apex Fusion is ending text messaging support. This is quite frustrating as I have an iPhone and I've configured the emergency Bypass feature with a custom text message tone to wake me up at night for any emergencies.

iPhones unfortunately don't let you change the sound for specific app push alerts (that I am aware of). So while you can obviously still receive push alerts, the effect might not be the same.

This could be quite problematic for a lot of people I imagine. Thoughts/Work-Arounds?

Reference: https://www.neptunesystems.com/sms/

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t even known you could set up texts that would have been helpful

herozero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IFTT? Pump the apex xml logs to a service say running on a local machine (like a Pi), when variable in xml logs = your text message condition, set condition via IFTT for a text.

Full disclosure I don't use a system like this and am just spit-balling for 2 minutes. Better minds and more time I'm sure can do something more elegant/less moving parts.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google "email to sms your service provider" and add your mobile service provider to the search if Apex will still do email alerts.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really surprised there hasn't been more reaction to this, which is a loss of an important feature. Seems like a move in the wrong direction.
Most of the mobile services have a email to sms conversion. So if the Apex will send an email alert you can send it to the email address that you mobile service provider has for email to sms and get it as a text instead of an email. The controller I use does not have text alerts either but I never used it. It does have push notifications and email alerts along with local which is visual and audible.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most carriers allow you to text via email. I’m on T-Mobile and I can send <phone number>@tmomail.net. Maybe this could be an option. All the major US carriers support this.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol my Reef-Pi can only do the “email to text” notifications and I’ve always thought it was the biggest differentiator between the DIY and professional monitor. Welcome to DIY everyone

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received this pop up stating that Apex Fusion is ending text messaging support. This is quite frustrating as I have an iPhone and I've configured the emergency Bypass feature with a custom text message tone to wake me up at night for any emergencies.

iPhones unfortunately don't let you change the sound for specific app push alerts (that I am aware of). So while you can obviously still receive push alerts, the effect might not be the same.

This could be quite problematic for a lot of people I imagine. Thoughts/Work-Arounds?

Reference: https://www.neptunesystems.com/sms/
This sound like an iPhone problem more than an Apex problem. You still have email and push notifications. Not being able to customize your push notifications is not Neptune's fault.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really surprised there hasn't been more reaction to this, which is a loss of an important feature. Seems like a move in the wrong direction.
They slowly take away little features here and there, before you know it you'll have to pay for features that was taken away from you.

I could be wrong, just my 2 cents

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Google "email to sms your service provider" and add your mobile service provider to the search if Apex will still do email alerts.
yes for Verizon it’s @vtext.com, but it sounds like this might be an issue too. The carriers are trying to limit businesses sending mass quantities of daily texts. I’m not certain this is effected, but I imagine it might be or might be soon. It seems if it were this simple, they would have listed this as a work around.

Me too.
This sound like an iPhone problem more than an Apex problem. You still have email and push notifications. Not being able to customize your push notifications is not Neptune's fault.
I never said it was, I’m just looking for options. The fact that iPhone doesn’t allow you to setup custom alert sounds on a per app basis is quite annoying.
They slowly take away little features here and there, before you know it you'll have to pay for features that was taken away from you.

I could be wrong, just my 2 cents
I did some quick googling and it sounds like what’s driving this is the carriers trying to reduce spam text messages. It sounds like Neptune could be a registered company, but the problem is they have fixed daily messaging limits. That would be quite hard to predict because every has text alerts set up for different situations.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m new to iOS in the last couple months but can’t you set up Apex to be allowed through on a Focus mode?

It doesn’t need a special sound or anything. Any app or contact allowed past my Focus mode means it’s a true emergency and I need to be woken up.

You could also put an audible alarm on your tank to wake you up if needed.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m new to iOS in the last couple months but can’t you set up Apex to be allowed through on a Focus mode?

It doesn’t need a special sound or anything. Any app or contact allowed past my Focus mode means it’s a true emergency and I need to be woken up.

You could also put an audible alarm on your tank to wake you up if needed.
Yes you can do this and I do have it setup that way. I’m a pretty heavy sleeper and my tank is on a different floor so I might have to look into a remote audible alarm system of some sort near my bedroom.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used iPhone and the text messages from Apex.....I am confused as to what the issue is? I actually just tested it....as of right now it still is working.....for now lol.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have always used iPhone and the text messages from Apex.....I am confused as to what the issue is? I actually just tested it....as of right now it still is working.....for now lol.
Mine is actually still working too, but I presume since they sent this notice out it’s going to stop working at some point.

Or perhaps maybe we’ll get lucky and it will just be an “unsupported feature.”

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like mine just stopped working. I tried added my phone number (how it was setup before) and [email protected] and now I’m getting this message.

Attachments

• F3071E0D-AE96-427D-8C71-792C2BC9D5A5.jpeg
    F3071E0D-AE96-427D-8C71-792C2BC9D5A5.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 17
Back