Apex, GHL, Hydros

Sharkbait13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I need some help deciding on a reef aquarium controller/monitor.

I am stuck between the Apex, GHL, and hydros. I love the apex but it’s not really a college friendly price and I want to minimize wires so the EL doesn’t really interest me. That’s brings me to the hydros which is practically all wires, but way more affordable especially at my LFS. The GHL from the reviews seems awesome, but at almost $1000 is way expensive. All have their pros and cons but I’m still kinda stuck.

What I am looking for is something that is smart, ie turn things off if something is wrong, and send me push notifications, and something that is easy to set up and read quickly. It’s a hard descion because I want to make the right choice, I love my aquariums, and I want to make sure they’re protected. So if that means I have to spend more money on the GHL or Apex I can. I just wanted to hear from some of your experiences with the controllers you have, and what you would recommend and why?

Thanks so much for your time fellow reefers, it’s greatly appreciated.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hydros, dont let the cheap pricetag real you in. If you want it to perform its best for you, you need all the components, which are sold seperately. It gets very expensive when you add it all up. And its still very limited in capability, no salinity probe, doesnt measure alk/calcium, etc... Only a temp and ph probe so far. Its basically a glorified wifi bar.

OP
OP
S

Sharkbait13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hydros, dont let the cheap pricetag real you in. If you want it to perform its best for you, you need all the components, which are sold seperately. It gets very expensive when you add it all up. And its still very limited in capability, no salinity probe, doesnt measure alk/calcium, etc... Only a temp and ph probe so far. Its basically a glorified wifi bar.
That’s a really good point tho, at my LFS I can find it for less than $500, which is still really good, but I do see what you’re saying. I like the idea of their leak detection kit, and it’s reasonably priced too. Just not sure if Apex’s LDK will work on carpet

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...dont get me wrong.. I have one and it does what I need.. but reef-pi is not for the faint of heart.. that being said I love mine. Lots of support on this forum.. if you have the time and the patience .. Rob makes a great kit. I would go for this kit.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex el hands down,
May I ask why and how well this is working for you I plan to get one this week was going ghl but to many wifi problems

Any finicy things I need to know I'm running a hardline for internet to it so I don't care if the wifi works lol

I know they have to be calibrated once a month for best results and the probs should be replaced ever 6 moths with the dos heads once a year

Anything else I need to know about setup or maintenance with these unit

Thank you for any help you can provide and your time to do it

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only really care about it being able to maintain alk cal and mg the rest is handled threw water changes and an auto top off with leak sensors plan to use the 2 sensor variety

Also anyone use the moonlight are they any good

How many should I get for a 32 biocube?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back