Apex Jr...Help!!!

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchase this unit new almost a year ago with NO issue until today! Today my lights didn't turn on at 12noon is what time there schedule to turn on. So I notice the temp was 86 and that would be the reason why the lights are off. I have the lights setup to turn off if the temperature reaches 84 degrees and the heater to turn off as well. Again I haven't had an issue since the first time setup almost a year ago. This is started today!

The heater is a 300w and I have it set to 81-82 The house is AC is always ON, so the house is always cool. I did the following: restarted the controller, and unplug the heater then plugged the heater back into the #4 control outlet. Instead the temp went to 96 degrees, then finally 100. But the water does not feel hot at all.

What could be my problem? Do I need to update firmware on the Apex? What are your suggestions?

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchase this unit new almost a year ago with NO issue until today! Today my lights didn't turn on at 12noon is what time there schedule to turn on. So I notice the temp was 86 and that would be the reason why the lights are off. I have the lights setup to turn off if the temperature reaches 84 degrees and the heater to turn off as well. Again I haven't had an issue since the first time setup almost a year ago. This is started today!

The heater is a 300w and I have it set to 81-82 The house is AC is always ON, so the house is always cool. I did the following: restarted the controller, and unplug the heater then plugged the heater back into the #4 control outlet. Instead the temp went to 96 degrees, then finally 100. But the water does not feel hot at all.

What could be my problem? Do I need to update firmware on the Apex? What are your suggestions?
Im no expert but thats where i would start. That seems to fix quite a few of my problems.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no expert but thats where i would start. That seems to fix quite a few of my problems.
I thought in firmware update, since I have a Mac Pro I need to get a USB Ethernet Adapter tomorrow at the store. Crossing my fingers this is the issue. Will update my progress tomorrow, thanks again!

jboone82590

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work if not im sure someone else will chime in

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your temp probe could be bad. If the reset doesn't work get a new probe.

+1

Do you have any means of measuring the temperature of your tank/system other than via the Apex temp probe?

Your system may actually be running colder than what you want, as it sounds like you have your Apex configured to shut down devices (lights, heater) after the system reads a certain temp. If your system (Apex) is reading incorrectly high, and shutting things off, when in reality your system is at or below your desired range, it may be dropping without Apex correctly turning your heater back on. <- Did that make any sense?

Here's hoping you can troubleshoot it down quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Do you have any means of measuring the temperature of your tank/system other than via the Apex temp probe?

Your system may actually be running colder than what you want, as it sounds like you have your Apex configured to shut down devices (lights, heater) after the system reads a certain temp. If your system (Apex) is reading incorrectly high, and shutting things off, when in reality your system is at or below your desired range, it may be dropping without Apex correctly turning your heater back on. <- Did that make any sense?

Here's hoping you can troubleshoot it down quickly.
I updated the firmware now the lights are off but my temp is reading 90.3 something is definitely wrong. Any input
e05e1923c06efbccaedf6cd85599d123.jpg

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I updated the firmware now the lights are off but my temp is reading 90.3 something is definitely wrong. Any input
e05e1923c06efbccaedf6cd85599d123.jpg
I drop a temp showing 80. Could be a bad temp. Is the temp probe under warranty purchase the apex less than a year ago
998443fea5fb78fbb895faa37d6a1e5c.jpg

Dystinction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....lemme throw a few suggestions/ideas your direction as avenues to proceed forward. You may already be thinking/doing some of these....

It sounds to me like your Apex 'brain' is reacting to the inputs that it is receiving, based on your programming/settings correctly.

Since it looks like (based on your secondary temperature accounting) that the temperature input to the Apex brain is faulty for some reason, I would first take the Apex out of the heater decision making process for the time being. With these parameters disabled, and the heater moved to a non-Apex outlet, both your lights and heater should function on their own while you work out this issue.

I would disconnect the temp probe and take a look at it for any obvious signs of damage or corrosion/buildup. A nice bath in some RODI probably couldn't hurt the probe-side.

I would suggest heading over to the Neptune Apex forums as well, and doing some searches.

I know that the temp probe can be calibrated, however, I am unsure if the amount that your probe is reading 'off' is within an acceptable boundary for re-calibration. I wish I had the answer for you on this.

Lastly, it wouldn't hurt to hit up Neptune directly to explain your situation and ask some questions.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....lemme throw a few suggestions/ideas your direction as avenues to proceed forward. You may already be thinking/doing some of these....

It sounds to me like your Apex 'brain' is reacting to the inputs that it is receiving, based on your programming/settings correctly.

Since it looks like (based on your secondary temperature accounting) that the temperature input to the Apex brain is faulty for some reason, I would first take the Apex out of the heater decision making process for the time being. With these parameters disabled, and the heater moved to a non-Apex outlet, both your lights and heater should function on their own while you work out this issue.

I would disconnect the temp probe and take a look at it for any obvious signs of damage or corrosion/buildup. A nice bath in some RODI probably couldn't hurt the probe-side.

I would suggest heading over to the Neptune Apex forums as well, and doing some searches.

I know that the temp probe can be calibrated, however, I am unsure if the amount that your probe is reading 'off' is within an acceptable boundary for re-calibration. I wish I had the answer for you on this.

Lastly, it wouldn't hurt to hit up Neptune directly to explain your situation and ask some questions.
Firstly thank you for your comment! Any comments are always good, whether there helpful or not.

I did open a case with Neptune and last night they responded with some advice. Suggested to put the temp probe into a cup of ice water to see if the temp goes down, no success. This morning the temp show 105 on the display. In the meantime I removed the heater from the apex and connected directly to a home outlet. I left the lights connected as you mention since they are not effected in the program.

I will try your suggestion to remove the heater from the setting, then try to add back in. Thank you

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe the temp probe is bad. You can get a new probe for under $40. That should solve your problems.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the trouble

You see the $500-$800 system is completely junk without a good $30 temp probe. I would get a new $30 temp probe as a back up....the headache would have been answered within a second....

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened to me!! Think about it. With the probe out of the water the temp reads the room temp--say 66 degrees. The heater then stays on to heat the water to the desired temp of say 78 degrees. The probe continues to read the room temp as the water gets hotter and hotter all the while continuously reading 66 degrees. As long as the probe reads 66, the heater will stay on and will heat the water as hot as the heater can possibly make the water all the while the probe is reading the room temp of 66.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, The apex reports the temp as 90.3, no 66 "I updated the firmware now the lights are off but my temp is reading 90.3 something is definitely wrong. Any input"; If the temp probe was out of the water like you said, his tank is wiped without him knowing....

It happened to me!! Think about it. With the probe out of the water the temp reads the room temp--say 66 degrees. The heater then stays on to heat the water to the desired temp of say 78 degrees. The probe continues to read the room temp as the water gets hotter and hotter all the while continuously reading 66 degrees. As long as the probe reads 66, the heater will stay on and will heat the water as hot as the heater can possibly make the water all the while the probe is reading the room temp of 66.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, The apex reports the temp as 90.3, no 66 "I updated the firmware now the lights are off but my temp is reading 90.3 something is definitely wrong. Any input"; If the temp probe was out of the water like you said, his tank is wiped without him knowing....
Then the moral of this story is never take your temp probe out of the water!! I actually keep my heaters and tmp probe behind my rocks in my display tank for this reason. When your heaters are in the sump and your sump pump goes out of commission, the temp in your display plummets.

OP
OP
LatinKing

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have lots of rock stacked up on the back wall to hide probes. Personally I limit my rock, and I dont like to have wires, heater or anything in my display tank other than my livestock. I have 2 Jebaeo powerheads on the back wall but hardly can see because the back wall is black.
My temp probe is always in my sump submerge in water. In the event and issue happens usually the water will rise in my sump.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back