APEX Jr. Temperature probe accuracy

ENARP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting a new tank and trying to get everything dialed in. My Apex Jr. Temp reads 77.2, my floating thermometer reads 75, my digital hand held probe read 79.3. I know it ain't 79 degree,s so let's ax that one. I am leaning towards believing the Apex more than any of the others, but want to learn from anyone out there who has more experience with APEX probes and can give me any more info. on their accuracy. Can someone recommend an accurate floating thermometer? My LFS had only stick on strip thermometers and one that I had already read bad reviews on.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The probes are hit or miss. The first one that came with my apex was real accurate (still is) The I bought another one for the Salinity module and it was 2 degrees higher. I went out and bought a NIST thermometer (you can get them online fairly cheap) and had to calibrate the second probe down 2 degrees. That's about the only way that I know of you can check for true accuracy

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune suggests calibrating the temp probe to a nist thermometer

blacktippr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The probes are hit or miss. The first one that came with my apex was real accurate (still is) The I bought another one for the Salinity module and it was 2 degrees higher. I went out and bought a NIST thermometer (you can get them online fairly cheap) and had to calibrate the second probe down 2 degrees. That's about the only way that I know of you can check for true accuracy
I had the same issue, I have 2 temp probes one inside the tank and the one hooked up to my salinity probe was 2 degrees higher, calibrated with a Hanna NIST traceable and now my salinity probe reads dead on. I had been fighting the issue that my salinity probe read a full 1 ppt below what it really is.

So do calibrate with a NIST TRACEABLE thermometer.

blacktippr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna Works Nice , got it On Amazon . Its uses in food preparation by chefs. It's NIST traceable. To +_1 degree.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When you add a temp probe to the pm2 its wayy off, you have to calibrate the probe on the pm2 mod. The temp that comes with apex straight into the brain is fully calibrated unless you got a dud.

OP
OP
ENARP

ENARP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered from Thomas Scientific ..Easy-Read® Precision Thermometer, 20/230°F x 2°F, 200mm, Total Immersion (9313A80)

blacktippr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
which one did you purchase ? any model number?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ckozma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add a temp probe to the pm2 its wayy off, you have to calibrate the probe on the pm2 mod. The temp that comes with apex straight into the brain is fully calibrated unless you got a dud.
I know how to calibrate the first temp probe that is linked straight into the apex, and I know how to calibrate the salinity probe that comes with the PM2 because the instructions for the apex gold state how to do this. But nowhere does it state how to calibrate the second pm2 temp probe? My temp probe plugged into the pm2 reads 1.5 degrees higher than the one linked straight into the apex at all times. The pm2 temp reading is too high.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 140 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back