Apex Leak Detector

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I had one of my leak detectors turn off my system without any water detected. I have one placed on the floor between the stand and Apex cabinet sitting on a paper towel. Its been like this for almost 2 years without any problems. I unhooked it and made sure everything was dry and hooked it back up to have it alarm again. Is it possible that the sensor went bad or some other problem I should look for? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a long shot but how high is humidity in the area of the ALD? I'd guess it some how failed. Is this any rust or debris spanning the contacts?
It is interesting you mentioned humidity. Not trying to hijack the thread so this is just a comment. I have an automated rule that turns off pumps when the sensors detect water. Last night, this happened twice but there was no water on the sensor but we had very high humidity. I had not even thought that humidity could set these off;Facepalm

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you guys have the sensors sitting on a cement/concrete floor (with or without a paper towel underneath)? IME, cement floors can sometimes trigger my sensors if there's high humidity in my fish room---like when my dehumidifier turns off. It's either that or the evil aquarium fairy.

OP
OP
robmiller2

robmiller2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I was looking in the area where the sensor was placed I noticed that the area that it was in had a large amount of salt on the floor, I am guessing that is due to some salt spray possibly from the overflow. I dipped it in some RO/DI and let it dry and it seems to be working fine now. Time will tell.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can definitely go bad and trigger for no reason....I currently have two bad ones sitting in a box. Mine sit on a concrete floor in the basement.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back